• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Majority of Canadians not interested in joining the CAF

Lose a promotion, yes. Lose your job? That would be illegal in many/most cases.
In Ontario, the ESA requires only a week pay per year of employment. Executives can use common law to support more if they didn’t (like they wouldn’t) have additional clauses, but companies don’t have to continue employment if they don’t want to. Even worse if you work for a US subsidiary that translates ‘At Will’ employment into Canada in exchange for the ‘bank.’

My knowledge is pretty dated. Really a guy had to have a couple jobs and be on call to really get ahead.

They’ve been trying to change it for a while. But yeah- it’s beautiful country…when I was a young firefighter/EMR decades ago they almost got me…

Collective agreements vary from province to province, and city to city. I'm only familiar with one.

One of our paramedics made $241,119 last year according to the Sunshine List.

Then you get into the supervisors, managers, deputy chiefs and the chief.

I can't understand why Firefighters and Police make what they do but EMTs are second class citizens.

Out here it's criminal how we treat out EMTs, but a firefighter will sleep for a few days a month and make a 6 figure salary.
Until I see them playing with water at -20*C, or wearing bunker gear at +30. There is probably a risk/reward imbalance in a lot of professions, but I agree, paramedics are generally underpaid, as are conservation officers in Ontario.

Same with DFO Fisheries Officers take a look at this, the suck is strong, but they know people come for the outdoor lifestyle Training and recruitment for fishery officers

Associated salary scales are:
  1. GT-02 ($52,864 to $59,754)
  2. GT-03 ($59,118 to $67,035)
  3. GT-04 ($66,610 to $75,733)
My friend in the RCMP and his wife working as a Emergency Room Nurse, could not afford a two bedroom apartment in North Vancouver.

There is probably a risk/reward imbalance in a lot of professions, but I agree, paramedics are generally underpaid, as are conservation officers in Ontario.

True.

This is from 2011 to 2016,

Same with DFO Fisheries Officers take a look at this, the suck is strong, but they know people come for the outdoor lifestyle Training and recruitment for fishery officers

My friend in the RCMP and his wife working as a Emergency Room Nurse, could not afford a two bedroom apartment in North Vancouver.
I did train a DFO recruit class- while in training one bought a house where he was posted for 40 thousand dollars

So you’re right. But I was just like daaaaaaaamn. He ll never sell it, but if it’s where you want to be….

I did train a DFO recruit class- while in training one bought a house where he was posted for 40 thousand dollars

So you’re right. But I was just like daaaaaaaamn. He ll never sell it, but if it’s where you want to be….
For $40k, he could burn it down and walk away….

For $40k, he could burn it down and walk away….
A real transfer party. Burn the house down and off to the next post.

DFO is a bit of a hidden gem in fed agencies. The Parks Canada wardens job is pretty phenomenal as well- their issue being it’s lots of half and three quarter positions. It’s golden once you have a FULL time gig.

There’s actually some incredible opportunity out there- in the CF as well. I think I take it for granted a lot when I’m down in the weeds of “what’s wrong with everything”

DFO is a bit of a hidden gem in fed agencies. The Parks Canada wardens job is pretty phenomenal as well- their issue being it’s lots of half and three quarter positions. It’s golden once you have a FULL time gig.

There’s actually some incredible opportunity out there- in the CF as well. I think I take it for granted a lot when I’m down in the weeds of “what’s wrong with everything”
A buddy of mine left the CAF and went to Parks Canada. His beat is around the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to about 50 clicks west. He has never been happier.

DFO has some truly awesome employees they don't deserve. They also have some of the worse and slimiest managers I have met, with a some notably exceptions.

DFO has some truly awesome employees they don't deserve. They also have some of the worse and slimiest managers I have met, with a some notably exceptions.
Prolly all ex Mounties.

I agree with your first sentence. I really liked them- I was disappointed that I couldn’t have them as police officers. But from staying in touch with them- they are better off.

Some of those fisheries officers went to some TINY places. They didn’t seem to have an issue getting someone to go…

Until I see them playing with water at -20*C, or wearing bunker gear at +30. There is probably a risk/reward imbalance in a lot of professions, but I agree, paramedics are generally underpaid, as are conservation officers in Ontario.

I've spent oodles of time in bunker gear putting wet stuff on hot stuff. It's not that bad. And the other 29 days month of sleeping make up for the temporary hardship.

While volunteers do the same thing for a bargain price.

I see FF organizations pricing themselves out of jobs in the future. Much like Mounties,
whos services, incidentally, are now under review in various communities in NS as the pricing model is beyond the means of most.

Again we need balance. We can not provide one family permanent geographic security at the expense of everyone else.

Great quote:

“CAF members reported instances where their chain of command was unaware of the steps involved in the process and unable to identify the decision-making authority,”

That's our leadership training in action right there.

I can't understand why Firefighters and Police make what they do but EMTs are second class citizens.

Out here it's criminal how we treat out EMTs, but a firefighter will sleep for a few days a month and make a 6 figure salary.
It depends. In ON Paramedics aren't "Essential services". ( Yes, I know how stupid that sounds, but in fact, they can strike.

I guess if the Ambulance Drivers go out, 911 then routes Fire....

Have to agree. The risk reward matrix in Fire, and Police vs paramedics is a bit imbalanced.

I've been a Volunteer FF, in Ottawa, and seen my counterparts driving the Ambulances....I won't cast aspersions on their trade, but the level of risk is not the same.

"Why does Fire always charge a hose line at MVCs?"
"So the paramedics have something to walk on."

It depends. In ON Paramedics aren't "Essential services". ( Yes, I know how stupid that sounds, but in fact, they can strike.

I guess if the Ambulance Drivers go out, 911 then routes Fire....

Have to agree. The risk reward matrix in Fire, and Police vs paramedics is a bit imbalanced.

I've been a Volunteer FF, in Ottawa, and seen my counterparts driving the Ambulances....I won't cast aspersions on their trade, but the level of risk is not the same.

"Why does Fire always charge a hose line at MVCs?"
"So the paramedics have something to walk on."
Are the ‘ambulance drivers’ the ones who have, at a minimum, a college deplorable in primary care paramedic, plus a fair bit of on the road clinical training before they ever go live?

I dunno, I’ve got plenty of experience waiting for both fire and paramedics who are staging while we deal with the first ten minutes of a call, and then supporting them when they’re doing their part. I’ve seen firefighters go into some super sketchy situations to keep people safe. I’ve seen paramedics deal with the worst people imaginable while those victims are in acute distress, with medics getting kicked, punched, bit, and spat on. And I shudder to imagine the biological hazards they’re constantly exposed to. I also have a soft spot for the one medic who helped dive in when I was in a scrap with a suspect once.

Particularly when the impacts of operational trauma are added to the picture, I don’t think it’s fair to undersell the risks paramedics face. I wouldn’t want their job.

No doubt (I have had virtually no exposure to the DFO). COs, game wardens, etc. are mostly self-identified 'bush pigs' and are typically quite happy living in many of the places they do.
I've spent oodles of time in bunker gear putting wet stuff on hot stuff. It's not that bad. And the other 29 days month of sleeping make up for the temporary hardship.

While volunteers do the same thing for a bargain price.

I see FF organizations pricing themselves out of jobs in the future. Much like Mounties,
whos services, incidentally, are now under review in various communities in NS as the pricing model is beyond the means of most.
My neighbour is a city firefighter for a department that uses 24-hour shifts, so, what, 7 days a month? He's waiting for his second shoulder to be replaced, both job-based, and one hip on the way out, partially job-based.

Totally agree on volunteers. Recruiting is becoming a problem around here. The rural demographic is aging and the younger folks that are still around often travel farther to work.

I was in Scottsdale AZ and good number of years ago and their fire service was a private company under contract. I don't know if they still are or how enduring that model is.

It seems BC is making some noise, again, about returning to a provincial police service. I don't know if the economics are there, but I've never quite understood how the lower mainland and greater Victoria area have not seen amalgamation, but I don't follow the politics. Local police services sound great until you realize to have to also provide service to the Dease Lakes, Hornpaynes or Ingonishs of the world. Small municipal services can get by on a typical day basis . . . until you get a complex homicide, need specialized investigators, or simply a whole lotta bodies. I suppose one answer could be the US model with an uncountable number of municipal services, counties and state agencies.

Back