• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Majors that can be used to be an MPO

Justin12

Inactive
Reaction score
Some background. I'm in my fourth of University getting a sociology degree, I've been a reserve Bosn for almost two years. Next year I'm starting a police foundations course to aid my chances to getting into the police academy or as entry to be an NCM (I'm avoiding doing the transfer to MP from the tour waiver because I wanna make sure I would enjoy/ be good at being an MP first). I asked the recruiter at my Naval Reserve Unit and he couldn't tell me. He told me what the forces.ca website shows which is along the lines of "criminology and criminal justice are preferred". But I heard opportunities for MPO are few and far between so going back to school and getting a criminology degree at another university in order to have a 1/10 chance at the trade doesn't seem like a good time and money investment. Has anyone heard of someone getting into MPO with sociology (I'm most likely also adding police foundations to it but that isn't a given). Also as an MPO compared to MP NCM what would my chances be of being being stationed in the maritimes be like? I don't mean to imply that's a deal breaker or anything to going reg force it would just be a nice bonus to hear I have a good chance of living around where I grew up. I've heard countless times from people and on paper it's the needs of the CF that come first for duty stations but preference gets taken into account. For example everyone I know who went reg force navy had no problem at all being stationed in Halifax where they asked to be. I'm curious if MP's have an easy time going where they choose.

Any info is appreciated, thank you. I've spoke to many people about this and I've had a hard time getting specific answers to the questions.

Bonus question again.
I heard in most provinces with the exception of Ontario, BC and Quebec MP's (in many cases only with ql5) can transfer into the local police forces. Is it the same case for MPO's or can they not do that?

Good day Justin12,

A university degree in Sociology would meet the CT academic requirements for the MPO occupation. Both MPO and MP are purple trade occupations meaning that they can be posted to Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army or Royal Canadian Air Force units and bases across Canada, or in the case of these two occupations, you may also be posted to Embassies around the world to provide security. Your preference will be considered for your posting. However, that being said, you are correct that it's the needs of the CAF that come first for your posting.

As for your “bonus question” contact a local police force recruiter to obtain your answer.

I can answer that...........no.............MPO's would not be looked at as lateral entry candidates for civy forces.  Civilian police agencies who accept MP's laterally are specifically looking for garrision policing experience, meaning, bread and butter policing.  Traffic stops, tickets, calls for service, etc.  They usually also require you to have the QL5 MP qualification.  Having all your experience as a field MP doesnt count either.  MPO's are more focussed on the day to day operations of running a detachment and their training is geared towards that.  As an MPO, you are a manager, the MP's do the leg work.

Back