• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Making Combat Clothing Better

Yes indeed, over to the sandbox as part of TF1-07. A 2RCR Gagetown tour.

Dose anyone else find that the combat shirts have sleves that are kinda short compared to the torso?  I mean I have a normal body type but I find that my shirt fits perfectly length and width wise on my chest but that the arms are too short.  They look find when my arms are hanging straight down.  But if I have to salute or bring my weapon up I find the cuffs get pulled back and annoy the crap out of me.  I would love to see the kind of sleves the US Army have on their ACU combats.  There is pleeting on the back of the shoulders so the arms can go with your arm and not get pulled back.

Wolfe117 said:
Dose anyone else find that the combat shirts have sleves that are kinda short compared to the torso?  I mean I have a normal body type but I find that my shirt fits perfectly length and width wise on my chest but that the arms are too short.  They look find when my arms are hanging straight down.  But if I have to salute or bring my weapon up I find the cuffs get pulled back and annoy the crap out of me.  I would love to see the kind of sleves the US Army have on their ACU combats.  There is pleeting on the back of the shoulders so the arms can go with your arm and not get pulled back.

I have the same problem. I guess it's something common to tall lanky bastards like me.

From my understanding, but Vern can confirm, that sleeve length is based on the chest size, so that long monkey-armed freaks like myself are SOL.

Sig_des, I stand to be corrected (especially by The Librarian  ;D ), but I'm pretty sure the "height designator" of a shirt (e.g. 7340, the 73 denotes +/- inches of height of the wearer) affects the torso size AND the relative sleeve length.  My legs are a fair bit of my body length, but I still need "taller" shirts/jackets (73##, sometimes a 76##) because of my orangutan arms...

G2G

Good2Golf said:
Sig_des, I stand to be corrected (especially by The Librarian  ;D ), but I'm pretty sure the "height designator" of a shirt (e.g. 7340, the 73 denotes +/- inches of height of the wearer) affects the torso size AND the relative sleeve length.  My legs are a fair bit of my body length, but I still need "taller" shirts/jackets (73##, sometimes a 76##) because of my orangutan arms...

G2G

I could be mixing up the designators... either way, I know your pain. Damn our monkey-arms...but, I'd love to hear from the voice of experience (I always do)..oh where oh where is the amazing, all-knowing, intelligent Librarian?

G2G's correct on the height designations. 64/67/70/73/76/79 all designate the height. Followed by 26/28/30/32/34/36/38 etc on up to 52 which designate the waist or chest size dependant upon which garment we are speaking of.

Guys, my sleeves are a tad bit too long when my arms are at the attention position, but when I salute my sleeve also pulls down to my wrist, as does my tunic sleeve. It's just one of those laws of nature.

Put on any of your civvy dress shirts and salute in them...the same thing will happen.

The Librarian said:
Put on any of your civvy dress shirts and salute in them...the same thing will happen.

But I wouldn't be wearing any headress, can I still salute? ???

Good2Golf said:
But I wouldn't be wearing any headress, can I still salute? ???

As long as you are at home and looking in the mirror...I'm good with that!!  ;D

The Librarian said:
As long as you are at home and looking in the mirror...I'm good with that!!  ;D

But I don't hold a commission..I can't salute myself

Sig_Des said:

And even if you were, it's not like you'd salute an officer of equal rank!  For some reason, I now have the image of the cat getting fluffed up and hissing at its own image in a mirror.  ???

G2G

Sig_Des said:

Boys, for the last time, I don't care what you do with your arms in the privacy of your own homes. Look in the mirror, salute, and prove it to yourselves!!  ;D

Good2Golf said:
And even if you were, it's not like you'd salute an officer of equal rank!  For some reason, I now have the image of the cat getting fluffed up and hissing at its own image in a mirror.  ???

G2G
Sometimes you do salute officers of equal rank: eg captains saluting the Adjutant. 

but, I digress...what you do at home in front of the mirror is between you and, well, the man in the mirror ;)

The Librarian said:

OK.  I've got a full length mirror in my room so I tried it.  You're right, Vern.  However I was compelled to give myself 5 extras for saluting the Sergeant Major (I shoulda known better.  I knew he'd catch me!)

Geez!!!

Haggis said:
OK.  I've got a full length mirror in my room so I tried it.  You're right, Vern.  However I was compelled to give myself 5 extras for saluting the Sergeant Major (I shoulda known better.  I knew he'd catch me!)

Geez!!!

Heh...reminds me of a time on basic when the staff looked at one kid on inspection and didn't even bother...just said "Jack yourself up in front of that mirror." Hilarity ensued.

Gawd,

You're killing me. 5 extras? For some reason, I believe you!!

At least you are a man who listened ... and learned!!  >:D

A few days back I was mending my jeans and thought I'd give a try and sew a mandarin collar onto my shirt. Worked out pretty well and it's reversible..I'll take pictures later.

Interesting to note what the US Marines are now adopting as their operational combat uniform:

frog1.jpg

Wonder how that's going to work out at 50 C, with all the other gear on top...

Probably no worse than wearing the current Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform, as with that setup, the Marine is wearing his blouse (combat shirt for the uninitiated), and then body armour and 782 gear (tac-vest/webbing).  If anything, the FROG setup will result in a cooler and drier Marine given the lighter weight and better moisture management ability of this garment than the NyCo utility blouse.

The FROG 2 hybrid shirt was inspired by this shirt originally developed for the US Army's Future Force Warrior program by Crye Associates. 
CryeCombatShirt.jpg

CryeCombatShirtRear.jpg

For the US Marine's FROG program Crye collaborated with driFIRE (which CP Gear carries...shamelss plug) to do a Marine Corps specific version.  Incidentally, Crye is now using driFIRE on their commercially available Combat Shirt.

From what I understand, driFIRE was not chosen as the material for the FROG ensemble.  However there are some unanswered questions regarding the chosen fabric's ability/inability to match the performance of driFIRE and several other fabrics which were submitted in regard to flame retardancy and moisture wicking.

Back