• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

It's really all up to you...the Reserve unit I'm affiliated with right now has a couple of med students as members quite happily, one an officer and the other a MCpl.  A Cpl from there started med school overseas last year...they were/are all generally happy with their experiences.  Ball's really in your court.

MM

Hello everyone I am a new user on the site. I have a few question for those that are medical assistants in the army.

I wanted to know for those working on the reserve at 25 fd amb in Borden how were you able to do your training, how long did it take you to get your training completed and if you are a full time student how did the timings of training work with your school schedule? Also for the females what is it like working in the army specifically for those in the health care reserves?

Thank you.

Just curious. Do you mean a physician's assistant or, just your everyday medical tech?

Medical Assistant, it's a reserve only trade. I only know this as I was going to apply for this position but sadly I am not able to answer any of those questions as I am still debating trade choices.

mega_chichi2 said:
I have a few question for those that are medical assistants in the army.

These are a sampling of discussions you may find of interest. As you can see, when searching the topic, sometimes incorrect terms are used. That in itself has been a frequent topic of conversation.  :)

Med Tech in the Reserves 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/90164.0

Medical Assistant 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4238.75.html

MEDICAL TECHNICIAN RESERVE?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/92991.0

Thank you all for the comments. I have been receiving calls from the sergeant in charge at the stated location, but I can never find an appropriate time to contact him as I work and he is usually not in the office for long. I just really want to know if I should be pursuing this field of work if I am still going to be in school.

Treemoss said:
What's your educational/job background if you don't mind me asking.

I am going to be repeating second year of nursing school. It is the four year RN program. I do have a health science background so hopefully that is grounds for approval?

I would think that with your current educational background, you probably already meet the requirements for Medical Assistant (MOSID 00150) in the Reserves.

You need:  Gr. 11 Ontario or provincial equivalent (Québec Sec IV equivalent for all courses) with an Academic Profile to include Gr. 11 Biology, Gr. 10 Chemistry or Physics, and Gr. 10 Mathematics (Quebec Sec IV, Math 426, or 436).  For the Gr 11 Bio, they want to see General Biology or Human Biology equivalent. For Quebec: Biology: Sec III (314), or Sec IV (534), or Biologie Humaine 101-901 (distance education- Cegep level).

You also need to meet the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) cut-off of the 20th percentile on the Problem Solving Scale.

And finally, you have to past the FORCE (fitness) Test.

Staff Weenie said:
I would think that with your current educational background, you probably already meet the requirements for Medical Assistant (MOSID 00150) in the Reserves.

You need:  Gr. 11 Ontario or provincial equivalent (Québec Sec IV equivalent for all courses) with an Academic Profile to include Gr. 11 Biology, Gr. 10 Chemistry or Physics, and Gr. 10 Mathematics (Quebec Sec IV, Math 426, or 436).  For the Gr 11 Bio, they want to see General Biology or Human Biology equivalent. For Quebec: Biology: Sec III (314), or Sec IV (534), or Biologie Humaine 101-901 (distance education- Cegep level).

You also need to meet the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) cut-off of the 20th percentile on the Problem Solving Scale.

And finally, you have to past the FORCE (fitness) Test.

Thank you for the reply. The recruiting office says that the process to beginning application is about 3 months and then after that is BMQ. Does it really take 3 months? I want to be able to complete this before university starts again for me. Also how would BMQ work if I am in school full time?

mega_chichi2 said:
Also how would BMQ work if I am in school full time?

Reserves offer BMQ during summer, or on weekends. Many Reservists are students, or have full-time jobs.

Difference between reserve's part-time BMQ and summer full-time BMQ?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109707.0

There is a lot of Reserve BMQ information on this site.

mariomike said:
Reserves offer BMQ during summer, or on weekends. Many Reservists are students, or have full-time jobs.

Difference between reserve's part-time BMQ and summer full-time BMQ?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109707.0

There is a lot of Reserve BMQ information on this site.

I remember reading somewhere that it can be completed on the weekends. Not sure if that was related to the BMQ or the actual reserve trade training.

Weekend BMQ courses are run in some areas.

QL3 Medical Assistant is only run in the summers at the school in Borden.

mega_chichi2 said:
I remember reading somewhere that it can be completed on the weekends.

A Reservist Weekend BMQ
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81390.0

mariomike said:
A Reservist Weekend BMQ
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81390.0

Thank you for the link very informative. Quick question how do you know which trades have BMQ on the weekends or only in the summer?

From what I've read online about Medical Technicians and Medical Assistant, they seem to be very similar jobs.
It seems that they may start off with slightly different training and focuses but after they've become much more competent at the job that they're doing nearly or exactly the same thing.

With Med A's doing:
"Provide initial care for patients;
Provide basic life support treatments in trauma cases;
Assisting with health assessments (to include: perform electrocardiograms; conduct hearing and vision tests; assist with immunizations; collect specimens and perform basic laboratory procedures);
Perform specific environmental health and preventive medicine duties;
Initiate, maintain and distribute medical records, documents, reports and returns
Provide medical support on weapons ranges and during training exercises;
Operate and maintain medical and life-support equipment;
Maintain, replenish and account for general and medical supplies; and,
Conduct first aid, medical and military training."

And Med Tech's doing:
"Provide initial care for patients
In trauma cases, provide basic life support treatments
Prescribe some medications in accordance with their scope of practice
Provide medical support during environmental operations
Recover casualties from the point of injury and transport them to a medical facility by wheeled or tracked ambulance, or by air
Participate in rescues from crashed vehicles, tanks, ships, aircraft and damaged buildings
Give basic advice on disease prevention, hygiene and sanitation
Perform specific environmental health and preventive medicine duties
Collect specimens and perform basic laboratory procedures
Operate and maintain medical and life-support equipment
Perform electrocardiograms and audiograms
Initiate, maintain and distribute medical records, documents, reports and returns
Maintain, replenish and account for general and medical supplies"

They share a lot of similar characteristics
Even into possible civilian job options:

Med A:
"Emergency Medical Responder
Ambulance and First Aid Attendant
Registered Nursing Assistant
Licensed Practical Nurse
Hospital Orderly"

Med Tech:
"Primary Care Paramedic
Emergency Medical Attendant
Ambulance and First Aid Attendant
Registered Nursing Assistant
Licensed Practical Nurse"

However, I'm curious from individuals whom have served if they are actually that similar? On their downtime do they do the same things? Is training and what they do in the field so similar that they are doing the same job with different titles?
What exactly are the differences?

Thank you for your time.

Med A's are reserves only. There are no Med As in the Reg Force anymore.
Med Techs are PCP qualified (paramedics). You cannot be a Med Tech unless you get you PCP qualifications (either on your own or through the forces).

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the reply.
I do not currently make all the requirements for Med Tech, would it be odd if I apply for Med A and spend time in there as a reserve force member until I reach the requirements for Med Tech and attempt to do a transfer?
Getting a college diploma and Primary Care Paramedic Level 1 Certificate on my own time and own money that is.

Hauloo said:
would it be odd if I apply for Med A and spend time in there as a reserve force member until I reach the requirements for Med Tech and attempt to do a transfer?

This may help,

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.100

Hauloo said:
Getting a college diploma and Primary Care Paramedic Level 1 Certificate on my own time and own money that is.

See also,

Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81858.100

Oh, I see. Thank you.
And in the requirements it states college diploma, but when I search it up specific colleges say college certificate or college degree are these the same things that the forces will looked at or is there a specific preference?

Back