• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Assistant - Reserve

sidereus said:
Then if so, has anyone had experience toward working with reserve pharmacist while on tour?...
You could say: You should join Reg force if you want to have a tour. But the fact is that what I've found on the day to day routine of a pharmacist while on base didn't really interest me. My goal at the moment would be to work in a ER as a Emerg Pharmacist to do something that I really enjoy and it would also keep my skills up to date for any deployment if I were to be posted in a ER on a tour.
I've never met a Res F pharmacist and certainly never while on tour.  I wasn't aware that being a Reservist Pharmacy Officer was an option, but it's on the Forces.ca website so there you go.  However, I am also not aware of clinical pharmacists being employed within the ER environment.  ICU - yes.  And I am fairly confident in saying that within the CF you are not going to be posted to an ER for an operational deployment.  If anything, you would be posted into a Pharm O position either in a pharmacy or in an FMed (forward medical depot) where you would be in charge of pharmaceutical (re)supply.  Cheers.

We do have some Res F Pharmacy Officer positions as part of 1 Canadian Field Hospital Detachment Ottawa (aka the Primary Reserve List).  Most of them are ex-Reg F Pharmacy Officers who want to still serve / have a useful skill set to the CF.

That being said, it is free to apply and you will never know unless you try.

MC

Thank you guys for your replies! It's really appreciated. What I understand is that I have a lot to learn about how everything works in pharmacy in general. What I'll do, I think, is ask a lot of questions during my interships in hospital settings and at my new unit since I'm transfering at the 51e field ambulance. Then, I'll be able to decide what is the most appropriate thing to do. Your inputs have been really helpful thank you.

Alright so unfortunately I was rejected into the infantry reserve due to my eyesight being at a v4.  When they informed me of this they have me a list of trades I could do. One of which was medical assistant.  I have looked on the forces site and I can't find the job, nor a description of what the trade does. So is this just another name of medical techs? And also as a med assistant would I be on the frontlines with the infantryman or behind the scenes assisting to the sounds of the injured?

I appreciate any answer I can be given :)

canucksfan250 said:
Alright so unfortunately I was rejected into the infantry reserve due to my eyesight being at a v4.  When they informed me of this they have me a list of trades I could do. One of which was medical assistant.  I have looked on the forces site and I can't find the job, nor a description of what the trade does.

So is this just another name of medical techs?

Yes

And also as a med assistant would I be on the frontlines with the infantryman or behind the scenes assisting to the sounds of the injured?

It depends on the job you're assigned to do. You could be with an infantry section, you could be at the first line medical facility, you could be further back.

I would caution you to moderate your expectations. We leave Afghanistan next year, so the "shootin' war" will be long over by the time you're sufficiently trained to deploy.

canucksfan250 said:
So is this just another name of medical techs?
ModlrMike said:

No, Med As do not hold a Paramedic Qualification,  Med Techs do.  The only way to become a reserve Med Tech is if you pay out of pocket to get your Paramedic cert, or you transfer from the Reg F.

Hatchet Man said:
No, Med As do not hold a Paramedic Qualification,  Med Techs do.  The only way to become a reserve Med Tech is if you pay out of pocket to get your Paramedic cert, or you transfer from the Reg F.

Thank you for posting it first.

Thanks for the replies, so Med As do the same things as med techs just they aren't as qualified?  I am still sort of confused on what they actually do?

Medical Assistants are more like Health Care Aides, not quite nurses not quite paramedics.

canucksfan250 said:
Thanks for the replies, so Med As do the same things as med techs just they aren't as qualified?  I am still sort of confused on what they actually do?
In simple terms, yes, Med As and Med Techs do the same type of work. Med As are not trained to the same level as Med Techs, the most important difference being that Med A lacks Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) qualification (unless they obtain it themselves, work as a civvy paramedic, etc). Lack of PCP limits their operational employment Outside the Wire.

PrairieThunder said:
Medical Assistants are more like Health Care Aides, not quite nurses not quite paramedics.

Med A's are now a P Res MOSID and are not HCA's...mind you back in the day when I was a Med A in the Reg Force before we became Med Techs, we were trained as practical nurses and EMT's and a few other odds and sods. 

MM

medicineman said:
Med A's are now a P Res MOSID and are not HCA's...mind you back in the day when I was a Med A in the Reg Force before we became Med Techs, we were trained as practical nurses and EMT's and a few other odds and sods. 

MM

Interesting

Question.I just recently graduated from and now successfully hold my Primary Care Paramedic certification(PCP).I have recently submitted an application into the CAF.How long will it be before I get a response from the CAF and what are the chances of me getting in?

Took about a week for mine, some I've heard take longer.  It depends if you're going in reserve you have to call the local unit to see if they have positions available. Full force I'm not sure, you'll probably do fine as long as you pass your CFAT and all the other testing. 

rpowell29522 said:
Question.I just recently graduated from and now successfully hold my Primary Care Paramedic certification(PCP).I have recently submitted an application into the CAF.How long will it be before I get a response from the CAF and what are the chances of me getting in?

Asked and answered multiple times, do a search.

Hello. what jobs are available in the health services reserve, are they all medical techs in there? i am planning out what to do and med tech always is in my options. i would like to join the reserves and maybe as a med tech while going to school. but now the problem i am thinking about is that i am not a graduate of paramedics, do i have no chance of going through this path? please let me know thanks!!!

You could try going down to 17 Fd Amb and asking them those questions. Failing that, the answers are in the Recruiting forum.

justin9 said:
but now the problem i am thinking about is that i am not a graduate of paramedics, do i have no chance of going through this path?

Hunter said:
First of all, non PCP-qualified reserve medics are Medical Assistants, not Medical Technicians.

ModlrMike said:
You could try going down to 17 Fd Amb and asking them those questions. Failing that, the answers are in the Recruiting forum.

To add to that, they parade Tuesday nights around 1830-1900 at Minto Armouries.

MM

Hello,

I am planning on joining as Medical Assistant in the reserve. I am currently pursuing a science degree and maybe apply for med school if nothing changes. Will this occupation in the reserve be helpful towards my future goal? Or should I skip this trade and choose another one in the reservers?

Bottom line I still want to join the reserve while I go to school. I am just thinking if this experience would be useless for me if I plan to go to med school anyway. I am just thinking since maybe I would learn all this anyway towards becoming an MD? Mostly all the occupations are very much interesting for me and I wouldn't really mind learning from any of the trades. So I'm wondering if becoming a Med A is fine prior to med school or becoming a doctor, or if it is better to learn something different than being in the same aspect of skill?

I hope you can understand. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Back