• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Rejection: How to Appeal? [Merged]

Today I received a letter saying that I did not meet the principles of Universality of Service and thus the Common Enrollment Medical Standards.  I have an allergy to seafood, primarily cod, salmon, and halibut.  My allergist prescribed me with an EpiPen about 3 years ago.  This was a concern when I did my medical exam so I had to get some FDL's filled out and I also had my allergies retested.  The results came back to be a mild reaction to fish, compared to a severe reaction from years before.  I brought my results, along with my FDL's, back to the recruiting center and they were sent off to Ottawa.  I don't know how a mild reaction would cause me to be rejected.  Keep in mind I don't even own an EpiPen now, I've never used an EpiPen, nor have I ever had any severe reaction or emergency care as a result of my allergies.  It has been an extremely frustrating process, especially since all I have to do is avoid eating fish.  My symptoms are mild, if I did happen to accidentally eat fish, it's not like I would continue to eat the rest of it. I would obviously know it was fish and not eat anymore of it. Also, my reaction is mild so the need for an EpiPen isn't there.  I tried getting a letter from my allergist stating that I don't need one but he told me that he recommends them to all his patients, "just in case".  This is clearly just to cover his own ass.  The worst part of this whole thing is knowing that if you are prescribed with an EpiPen once you are already in the Canadian Forces then there's no problem with that.  It just doesn't seem to be fair to me at all.  If I had my time back I wouldn't of even said I had allergies.  Does anybody have some advice that would do me any good? I'm planning on appealing their decision and discussing why I disagree with it.  If anybody has some helpful information with regards to this situation it would be greatly appreciated! Also, If anybody could share some insight on my chances of changing their decision please let me know!

Thanks,
David

While your condition may be considered now, under relatively ideal conditions, to be a "mild reaction," this will not necessarily be the case under all circumstances. If you are under stress, suffering from sleep deprivation, an irregular diet, perhaps with an immune system already challenged by acclimatization to new environmental conditions, that mild reaction could turn into a fatal one. It is not the CF's responsibility to take a chance on your life just because you want to join the Army.

You have an existing medical condition that does not meet the requirements of UoS.

Unless you can produce something from a doc that states you are not at risk....good luck.

You weren't thinking of the Navy BTW?

If you do not disclose a medical condition and it comes up later, you can be kicked out for irregular enrollment and possibly charged.

Everyone reacts differently to allergies each time they are exposed.  There is no way to predict whether it will be more or less severe.

There's no possible way that you or anyone else could ensure that you avoid fish or fish products 100%.

As far as the epi-pen prescription, if I were the doctor, I'd want to cover my ass too.  And people who get them after enrollment have already undergone training and retaining them makes economic sense.  Enrolling someone knowing the condition exists does not.

All you can do is carry on with your appeal and hope for the best.

Jammer said:
You have an existing medical condition that does not meet the requirements of UoS.

Unless you can produce something from a doc that states you are not at risk....good luck.

You weren't thinking of the Navy BTW?

Yeah I applied for E-Tech in the Navy.

PMedMoe said:
If you do not disclose a medical condition and it comes up later, you can be kicked out for irregular enrollment and possibly charged.

Everyone reacts differently to allergies each time they are exposed.  There is no way to predict whether it will be more or less severe.

There's no possible way that you or anyone else could ensure that you avoid fish or fish products 100%.

As far as the epi-pen prescription, if I were the doctor, I'd want to cover my *** too.  And people who get them after enrollment have already undergone training and retaining them makes economic sense.  Enrolling someone knowing the condition exists does not.

All you can do is carry on with your appeal and hope for the best.

It just doesn't seem fair to deny somebody because of an allergy.  For me it's as simple as avoidance.  If I eat fish that's my own fault.  It seems to me that it would make sense to sign a form before enrollment that states it is completely my responsibility to avoid fish and the blame can't be on the CF.  It's just extremely frustrating because this is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and a stupid allergy is holding me back

davidf33 said:
It just doesn't seem fair to deny somebody because of an allergy.  For me it's as simple as avoidance.  If I eat fish that's my own fault.  It seems to me that it would make sense to sign a form before enrollment that states it is completely my responsibility to avoid fish and the blame can't be on the CF.  It's just extremely frustrating because this is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and a stupid allergy is holding me back

For you it might be as simple as avoidance.  There's lots of products that contain fish that you might not even think of and there's also the possibility of cross-contamination.  And a form doesn't remove the responsibility of the CF to treat you medically in the event something were to happen.  People have been turned down for peanut allergies, bee sting allergies, etc.

I can understand how frustrating it might be, but that doesn't change the CF enrollment standards.

PMedMoe said:
For you it might be as simple as avoidance.  There's lots of products that contain fish that you might not even think of and there's also the possibility of cross-contamination.  And a form doesn't remove the responsibility of the CF to treat you medically in the event something were to happen.  People have been turned down for peanut allergies, bee sting allergies, etc.

I can understand how frustrating it might be, but that doesn't change the CF enrollment standards.

Yeah I understand that.  Most restaurants fry all everything in the same oil they fry their fish in.  This was a concern of my Medical Officer as he explained the food in mess hall.  I've yet to encounter a reaction from eating at a restaurant that have fish on their menu, and I know for a fact they don't fry fish separately.  I've even accidentally eaten a piece of fish because I took it for a chicken strip, and again no reaction.  Also, the I've never had a reaction due to the smell.  My mother always cooks fish in the house.  Again guys i'm not writing this to complain, I just want to know if I have a chance whatsoever of changing their minds.  It's driving me insane.

As I said, all you can do is appeal.  We can't (and won't) answer medical questions here.

I went through the whole battery of allergy testing in my early teens.  Was flagged as being "highly reactive" to tobacco.  Maybe I should quite smoking?

Hi David, I am also going through the application process and expect to have to go through medical soon and I am concerned about them rejecting me too. From what I am reading, they want to know that in the worst case scenario, you aren't going to get sick/die due to a pre-existing condition.

Consider that you may get stranded on a boat in the Navy, and the food supply runs low and the only food which can be prepared is Fish. Under those circumstances, you would die within a couple days, while others without an allergy would live and be able to continue in their jobs fairly normally.

Going back in time and not disclosing something to the CF would be a bad move, and unfortunately it makes people think you aren't CF material. I am going to disclose everything to them, and be completely honest. If the medically disqualify me, I have to accept that and move on from there. Not disclosing everything wont even enter my thought process. Definitely I encourage you to file an appeal, but from what I have seen from others, food allergies are almost always an immediate disqualifier with no chance of them changing their minds.

I'm not sure how old you are, but there is always the chance your body will change and be able to tolerate fish with no reaction in the future.

It really does suck, especially when you may have waited months to get this far, but they have these guidelines for a reason. It isn't just about your safety or their liability with your health. They need to think about people who may end up counting on you to watch their back. If you and a partner get thrown somewhere with a couple packs of seafood rations, you aren't going to be any good to him.

Try to remain positive.

Edit:
Also, as far as the appeal goes, I think the only way they will change their decision is if you can get an allergist/allergy doctor sign off saying that you would not need any emergency intervention/medicine in the case of eating fish. Unfortunately, I doubt any doctor would say that. But that is realistically your best bet. See another doctor, and get their opinion on it. If they recommend you carry an epi-pen too, I just cant see them changing their minds.

davidf33 said:
It just doesn't seem fair

Fairness is not part of the equation.

The CF does not exist to give people jobs or opportunities for dream-fulfillment. It exists to defend this Country and its Citizens. Everything must be geared to that purpose.

Standards have been set in support of that aim. One either meets them, or one does not.

That may sound harsh, but so is the reality of our profession: it involves human lives.

It is not about you as much as it is about the lives and well-being of those who might rely upon you.

davidf33 said:

Life isn't fair, some people just aren't cut out to be in the military, it's as simple as that. 

I had the same situation as you David. I had a mild reaction to shellfish and had to undergo allergy testing, blood testing, and a food challenge test. However, in my case, my allergy to shellfish wasn't as bad as it seemed on paper. I would be able to eat shellfish with very minimal reactions which wasn't consistent with what the allergy testing showed (showed that I was deathly allergic). I explained to both the medical technician and the allergist about my situation and the allergist suggested I bring in lunch with shellfish in it and eat it in front of her. I did so (a plate of pasta with shrimp) and she observed me for about an hour or so. I had no noticeable reaction and nothing to show that it was serious. I got her to fill out a form which the medical technician said I would need for the appeal and I took it back to the RC. They sent it to Ottawa and six weeks later, I get a letter back saying that I am now medically  fit.

Keep your head up and if you really believe that what it says on paper doesn't reflect you accurately, try to do something about it. I was devastated when I got the letter from the RMO but I talked to the recruiters, the medical technician and officer, and my allergist to set things straight.

lee465 said:
I had the same situation as you David. I had a mild reaction to shellfish and had to undergo allergy testing, blood testing, and a food challenge test. However, in my case, my allergy to shellfish wasn't as bad as it seemed on paper. I would be able to eat shellfish with very minimal reactions which wasn't consistent with what the allergy testing showed (showed that I was deathly allergic). I explained to both the medical technician and the allergist about my situation and the allergist suggested I bring in lunch with shellfish in it and eat it in front of her. I did so (a plate of pasta with shrimp) and she observed me for about an hour or so. I had no noticeable reaction and nothing to show that it was serious. I got her to fill out a form which the medical technician said I would need for the appeal and I took it back to the RC. They sent it to Ottawa and six weeks later, I get a letter back saying that I am now medically  fit.

Keep your head up and if you really believe that what it says on paper doesn't reflect you accurately, try to do something about it. I was devastated when I got the letter from the RMO but I talked to the recruiters, the medical technician and officer, and my allergist to set things straight.

That's a seriously awesome story, haha I was thinking of suggesting he pack a tuna sandwich for his appeal but I didn't think it'd actually work until I read this!

If I were you, I wouldn't be tossing rocks at someone else's case.

You're not in either mate...and this guy has a better chance than you.

At least he seems like he has a little bit of integrity.

davidf33 said:

My two cents:

1. Your allergy puts yourself at risk;
2. Your allergy may put others at risk. If you ingest fish and have a severe allergic reaction, someone has to do something about it. This may put their lives in danger as well; and
3. The CF is all about defending this nation, NOT about you and it desire to be in the CF.

lee465 said:

I wonder if the Medical Officer here would do the same.  Thanks for your story though, helps a lot.  I believe that I'm not at risk of anything severe, the worst that has happened thus far was my lips swelled up after eating a full serving of salmon.  I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday and I'm going to see if he will write a letter for me to go along with my appeal.  My allergist had refused to write a letter saying that an EpiPen is unnecessary because he recommends them to all his patients and believes everyone should have one just in case.  I'm thinking about trying Cod at home one day this week, and if all goes well I could phone the Medical Officer and ask him if I can do a food challenge right in front of him.  Do you think this would be alright or would I have to go to an actual allergist to do my food challenge first? I've already gotten my allergist to refer me to somebody that does food challenges as he does not do them himself.  He didn't give me a time frame on how long it would take though and as of right now I'm tired of waiting. The sooner i can get the appeal over with the better, but by all means whatever I can do to harden my case I'll surely do it. 

I believe you would have to go to your allergist first. They pretty much call the shots on whether you need an Epi pen or not which is what the CAF really cares about (or so I was told by the medical officer). If you do not need an epi pen, then the CAF would be more inclined to consider you medically fit (the medical officer told me it was adamant that I am not prescribed an epi pen), but once again, that's up to your allergist to decide.

Back