• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Release ( merged )

A question popped in my head last night as I was attempting unsuccessfully to sleep. Has anyone been in the process of a medical release when their contract was ending? I am looking forward in my life and I am concerned I could get released via my 20 ending and miss out on the benefits of a medical release.

If CMRB or whatever they're called now has decided you are to be released 3b, those are your release terms.

Kat Stevens said:
If CMRB or whatever they're called now has decided you are to be released 3b, those are your release terms.

I was wondering more about people who are in the process near the time of their 20 coming due. In other words should a person for whom a medical release is a possibility shut their mouth until after they sign new terms of service?

Being on a TCat should have no bearing on whether you're offered IPS after hitting your 20. Sign it, and either wait for the med system to work or pull pin once you're cleared full duty. For the love of God do not hide an injury because you think they won't offer new TOS.

Members will be offered a new contract should their current one expire regardless of where they are in the process of medical release. I was a platoon Cmd for an IPSC and delivered new TOS all the time to people who were in the medical release process.

NavyPhoenix said:
Members will be offered a new contract should their current one expire regardless of where they are in the process of medical release. I was a platoon Cmd for an IPSC and delivered new TOS all the time to people who were in the medical release process.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I figure I have a few more years in me and I want to stay in as long as I am able but not at the expense of the benefits. It is one less thing to worry about.

I think this has been in the works for a bit. The CAF is trying to make the effort to retain people with some types of injuries. I have seen a document today that briefly outlines a new medical category that is suppose to be release in the near future. Basically it says that G4 O4 would be retained(although I am not 100% certain of this)
Has anyone else heard this?

Mediman14 said:
I think this has been in the works for a bit. The CAF is trying to make the effort to retain people with some types of injuries. I have seen a document today that briefly outlines a new medical category that is suppose to be release in the near future. Basically it says that G4 O4 would be retained(although I am not 100% certain of this)
Has anyone else heard this?

I have no issues with this so long as it doesn't further encumber those who are still fit with increased tasking, postings and deployments.  You can only burn both ends of a candle for so long.

Halifax Tar said:
I have no issues with this so long as it doesn't further encumber those who are still fit with increased tasking, postings and deployments.  You can only burn both ends of a candle for so long.

From what I was told, this would retain more people, but the catch is that those who are G4 04 would not be able to deploy due to limitations. This would also mean a change in universality of service (Lower). Apparently, most Medical Files in DMed Pol are not being processed until these new directions are sent out. Perhaps if there is any MO's out there, they could comment on this?

Mediman14 said:
The CAF is trying to make the effort to retain people with some types of injuries.

See also,

Keeping wounded in CF - merged super-thread 
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/66949.450.html
19 pages.

Its this thing called "The Journey"

They are exploring new avenues of personnel retention.

There will be categories of personnel that are:

Deployable/Postable
Non-Deployable/Postable
Deployable/Non-Postable
Non-Deployable/Non-Postable.

Members would be able to enter themselves into one of these categories, regardless of whether they are Reserve or Regular Force to enable more employability and enhance Personnel retention.

Along with those categories, those on MCATs will actually be put into positions that can be done by a Non-Deployable/Non-Postable person in order to free up staff to be Deployed and Posted.

That's the simplest explanation I can come up with, but basically they're trying to find the best way to keep literally everyone in the service instead of just forcing people out.

LunchMeat said:
Its this thing called "The Journey"

See also,

Let "The Journey" Begin 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124978.0

Keep hearing about this “journey”, it sounds great. Where do I find anything official on it? Is there impacts on remuneration?  Seems the deployable/postable group are the only ones giving a commander real flexibility to do a military task, no?  Still sounds great for when I’m ready to hang up the skates though.

I have also heard that those mbrs who have already received a disclosure package from DMCA with a not meeting UoS status (when you either request retention or not) will be grandfathered and still will release 3b whether sooner or after retention, if granted.  I’m in this category.  Submitted retention request in Dec, no word back yet.  Not sure I even want it now, as I work through physical and MH issues. 

rnkelly said:
Keep hearing about this “journey”, it sounds great. Where do I find anything official on it? Is there impacts on remuneration?  Seems the deployable/postable group are the only ones giving a commander real flexibility to do a military task, no?  Still sounds great for when I’m ready to hang up the skates though.

I think this is a bad idea that is going to screw over members and commanders alike. If we were in a time of massive mobilization I could see using the broken to teach the people heading to the front but this is just a way to artificial keep numbers up. I could totally get behind 68000 deployable members and 32000 who are posting/deployment restricted for some reason but we all know that won't be the case.

We already remuster broken people into trades they can do within their MELs and we already retain people who, in theory, are needed to fill a gap. And we already attempt to keep people in the local area for as long as possible. The Navy has a home port division which will keep you on the same coast for most of your career, a lot of Army types will spend huge lengths of time in Edmonton, Shilo, Pet etc. and I see a ton of air force types who get 10+ years in the same area (sometimes at the same unit). Maybe all we need to do is do it better.

Maybe I'm wrong but I am very skeptical. The only people I have talked too who are for this are people who are in the process of being released and don't want to give up 80 grand a year and try and work in the real world. I totally understand their POV, I've never had a career outside the military and leaving the fold is scary. But every non-deployable body we keep, holds up a rear position and a promotion for people who can do the job. And unless that is addressed, this could be a disaster.

Tcm621 said:
I think this is a bad idea that is going to screw over members and commanders alike. If we were in a time of massive mobilization I could see using the broken to teach the people heading to the front but this is just a way to artificial keep numbers up. I could totally get behind 68000 deployable members and 32000 who are posting/deployment restricted for some reason but we all know that won't be the case.

We already remuster broken people into trades they can do within their MELs and we already retain people who, in theory, are needed to fill a gap. And we already attempt to keep people in the local area for as long as possible. The Navy has a home port division which will keep you on the same coast for most of your career, a lot of Army types will spend huge lengths of time in Edmonton, Shilo, Pet etc. and I see a ton of air force types who get 10+ years in the same area (sometimes at the same unit). Maybe all we need to do is do it better.

Maybe I'm wrong but I am very skeptical. The only people I have talked too who are for this are people who are in the process of being released and don't want to give up 80 grand a year and try and work in the real world. I totally understand their POV, I've never had a career outside the military and leaving the fold is scary. But every non-deployable body we keep, holds up a rear position and a promotion for people who can do the job. And unless that is addressed, this could be a disaster.

100% agree.

Tcm621 said:

Well said TCM. 

Ref your underlined bit, I have a sinking feeling this is going to be a disaster.  Once people see others living the good life while they are out slogging it at sea or in the field, or getting posted for the umpteenth time the temptation will be to much for many, and really who can blame them ?  I cant see how we are going to be able to field a deployable force once this catches on.

It will if implemented, only make official what we have been doing in many trades for years. People sit in the cushy postings for years on end not doing their actual job, while the working bodies move around, deploy, and generally carry the weight so the "special" ones can bounce from chit to chit for years on end.

My trade in Esquimalt has several people on MELs not doing their job, but collecting PLD, and in some cases SDA to the tune of around $13K more a year than the rest of the trade. Since they are medical they can't be moved, so the people that work, and actually do the job get moved, deployed, and sail constantly to make up for it. When they burn a couple out they replace them with a few new people and the process continues...

Tcm621 said:
And we already attempt to keep people in the local area for as long as possible. The Navy has a home port division which will keep you on the same coast for most of your career, a lot of Army types will spend huge lengths of time in Edmonton, Shilo, Pet etc. and I see a ton of air force types who get 10+ years in the same area (sometimes at the same unit). Maybe all we need to do is do it better.

Can you send a memo to airforce's officer's CMs about this attempt to keep people in the same place. Because we get moved sometimes in less than 4 years and it's getting really tiring.

If this journey thing comes I will be the first to sign up for it and stop the pain of keep getting posted. I will take a 25% paycut if necessary. Frustrating when I see NCM's keep the same posting for 7-10 years.

Messerschmitt said:
Can you send a memo to airforce's officer's CMs about this attempt to keep people in the same place. Because we get moved sometimes in less than 4 years and it's getting really tiring.

If this journey thing comes I will be the first to sign up for it and stop the pain of keep getting posted. I will take a 25% paycut if necessary. Frustrating when I see NCM's keep the same posting for 7-10 years.

I'm the exact opposite. If I'm in the same place for more than 4 years I get squirrelly. I like the change. I don't need to move geographical locations every 4 years but a change of unit keeps things bearable.

Back