• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Release ( merged )

Advisory message or AR/MEL decision?

Advisory messages are usually sent really quick and 6 months sounds like something fell off the tracks.  I have one here that was sent in 3 days and the longest I can recall was about a month.

Definitely advisory message. Well now it sounds like they don't even know I exist. lol

ayo23 said:
It's been 6 months since I received my PCAT from DMedPol but still haven't received an advisory message from DMCA. lol

If the assigned PCAT doesn not breach UoS or maybe it does but yet it is deemed to be considered "low risk", then you will not be subject to the AR/MEL process.  In which case, you aren't going to get any type of message of any kind.

At best, your supporting OR or your Unit will have you sign a CF2088 and that will be the end of it.

Are you expecting to be released as a result of a change in Med Cat's?

DAA said:
If the assigned PCAT doesn not breach UoS or maybe it does but yet it is deemed to be considered "low risk", then you will not be subject to the AR/MEL process.  In which case, you aren't going to get any type of message of any kind.

At best, your supporting OR or your Unit will have you sign a CF2088 and that will be the end of it.

Are you expecting to be released as a result of a change in Med Cat's?

The PCAT I received back from DMedPol says I'm at HIGH RISK of breaching UoS so I've been expecting the advisory message ever since. Yes, I'm expecting to be medically released due to my MELs. I even had everything planned out to do VRPSM once I got my DoR but I've just been twiddling my thumbs waiting and now it's too late to apply to the program I wanted.

Umm, when you received the decison that you were at a high risk of breaching UofS from DMEDPOL, was the notice not attached to it? In my experience this is what has happened. As well, all notifications/decisions etc. have been electronically recently, and in some instances were e-mailed to the incorrect individual in the CoC (went to a Capt in the middle instead of down through the CO). Could this be a case where the e-mail went to someone's account who a) isn't there; or b) thought someone else also go it so didn't action it?

captloadie said:
Umm, when you received the decison that you were at a high risk of breaching UofS from DMEDPOL, was the notice not attached to it? In my experience this is what has happened. As well, all notifications/decisions etc. have been electronically recently, and in some instances were e-mailed to the incorrect individual in the CoC (went to a Capt in the middle instead of down through the CO). Could this be a case where the e-mail went to someone's account who a) isn't there; or b) thought someone else also go it so didn't action it?

Positive I didn't receive it with my PCAT/MELs from DMedPol. Someone from JPSU showed me what an advisory message looks like and I have not seen anything remotely close to it come my way.
If it was sent electronically, I haven't heard from anyone... and if it was sent to the wrong person, how am I to know?

I'm currently on my second TCAT and was told by the MedTech/Doc handling my case that after this TCAT (which ends February third) that I may end up on a PCAT. My injury has to do with my knee, and they have had me doing physio for over a year and it has done little to nothing. I finish my initial contract in March but signed for an additional 5. So my questions are as follows:

1. If I am medically released, what am I looking at in terms of compensation/time line?

2. Would VR'ing be a better route?

Any other information would be greatly appriciated.

ArtyInQc said:
2. Would VR'ing be a better route?

A better route than what?  If you want to stay in the CF, don't VR.  If your injury is service-related, don't VR.  If it turns out you have to be released, a medical release is infinitely better benefit-wise than what you'll get under a voluntary release category.

Unless you want to get out, I would not jump the shark with a VR but allow the process to play out.  When you are assigned a PCAT that triggers and Admin Review Medical Employment Limitations (ARMEL) at D Med POL.  They will examine your PCAT to determine if you breach Universality of Service.  If you do, then medical release is recommended.  If you do not breach UoS then a recommendation of "retained in current MOSID with restrictions" is plausible (depending on your task statements) or a "compulsory occupation transfer ARMEL".

Cheers

Andraste

Andraste nailed it, a PCAT is not necessarily a medical release.  If there is a light at the end of your medical treatment tunnel, then the medical review should see that as wee and treat you accordingly.  What I think needs to be stressed is don't VR.  If your current situation leads to a medical release, there are benefits that come with that.  Jumping the gun with a VR might eliminate these benefits before a medical review could happen.

Never take a VR if a 3b is coming. There are indeed benefits and services that come with a 3b Release. Talk to the Client Services section of your supporting Integrated Personnel Support Centre. They can fill you in on all the transition programs and services. Once you release, you can't go back and have your Release Item changed to a 3b, and that can impact your eligibility for Priority Hire for Federal Public Service positions.

If you don't know whom to contact for information, just send me a PM letting me know where you are, and I'll get you contact info for the nearest IPSC.

Not sure if the Original Poster is reading her/his replies,

Date Registered: January 13, 2016, 16:42:05
Last Active: January 13, 2016, 23:19:53

I am not sure what to expect in a near future because I am stuck in limbo waiting to see what happens, and what decision I could start making prior to being released.

There is a lot going on at this moment but due too heavy injury in my body I am being force to release from the infantry. There are s lot of things I wanted to ask but I'll get too few first.

• Will I be cover for post-secondary? And will they cover me if I move out of Canada back to my family?
  • I am shy of the 10 year mark; is it true I will not get a pension?
  • What are the benefits from this medical release besides "doctor appointments and medicine"
  • How long does it take to get medically release? And will I be cut from receiving paycheques as soon as I'm released?
  • Are moving expenses and such things covered In and out of the country?

(Edited by Moderator to remove questions from poll format.)

Bellerophon said:
I am not sure what to expect in a near future because I am stuck in limbo waiting to see what happens, and what decision I could start making prior to being released.

There is a lot going on at this moment but due too heavy injury in my body I am being force to release from the infantry. There are s lot of things I wanted to ask but I'll get too few first.

• Will I be cover for post-secondary? And will they cover me if I move out of Canada back to my family?
  • I am shy of the 10 year mark; is it true I will not get a pension?
  • What are the benefits from this medical release besides "doctor appointments and medicine"
  • How long does it take to get medically release? And will I be cut from receiving paycheques as soon as I'm released?
  • Are moving expenses and such things covered In and out of the country?

(Edited by Moderator to remove questions from poll format.)

Bellerophon, assuming that like most of us you've got Facebook, there is a group called 'Veterans 3B Support Group Canada'. Many members on there have gone through or are going through medical releases, and you should find that much of what you're asking will be directly aswered there.

Without knowing more about your circumstances, it's hard to offer you much right now. Reg/Reserve? Service related injury/illness, or something else? There are a number of benefits and programs available for medically released personnel, and depending on your circumstances, there will be different resources available to help you through this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/432709853584762/

I am a little confuse about the process of being medically release from the military. as in this moment I am going Consideration for PCAT: I was told this has to go up to Ottawa and then back which could take about 4 months. I was also told considering my case it's almost a 100% guarantee. What i wanted to know is... If I am posted to JPSU could i being to relocate myself even If my PCAT still under review?

Okay, so I was at my doctor the past week. He confirmed that my diagnosis will end up with me being medically released.

Now, I know there is a lengthy timeline but he continued to tell me the plan was for me to be out in March. Is that even possible? My PCat isn't even sent to Ottawa yet.

Also, anyone know if being posted from JPSU in Edmonton to St.Johns is a possibility?

Thanks!

Hockey22 said:
Also, anyone know if being posted from JPSU in Edmonton to St.Johns is a possibility?

See,

OP: Hockey22
Interesting Situation, Need advice.
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123713/post-1447583.html#msg1447583

Hockey22 said:
Can I somehow get sent to my hometown where my family is, to make my recovery a bit easier?

Hockey22 said:
I need to get back to my hometown, being here is absolutely destroying me one day at a time. Is there anything to speed the process up or to get me to my hometown. (There is an IPSC in my hometown).

March is going to be very tight. More unlikely than likely.

Your P Cat request goes from your doctor to the base surgeon. It can sit around there for weeks to a couple months.Then it goes to Ottawa which is roughly another 6-8 Months.  Add another month or two for your correspondence when your P Cat comes back from Ottawa. Then you'll get your date. Which is a min of 6 months from when you get it. At this point you can choose to release pretty much any time between then and your date with the right paper work.

Word of advice, use the time to your advantage. If you can use your ILP (individual learning profile) monies available to get some courses taken, members facing a P Cat release are usually approved for most courses. Get your docs from stores and start doing an inventory of items, return the stuff you don't use and don't need over the next year now, it makes it easier. They will go back to Basic Training if you have any kit left over from then.

For me I had my P Cat request done in Jan 15, I released July 16. I responded to every request within 24 hrs, and didn't ask for retention. So basically making my file move as fast as I personally could. It still took 18 months. I could of been released as soon as Feb 16 if I chose, but July was better for me.

I personally am off the mindset that staying longer is better for most people. Guaranteed income from the forces is better than eating into your guaranteed LTD period (2 years).

But my last piece of advice, is relax, be patient. Its not a fast process, and there isn't really much your CoC can do to speed it up. They may be able to slow it down, but it seems like you are not interested in that. Also if you haven't, go to your base hospital and ask to be assigned to a release Case Manager. Everyone should be assigned one when you are put on a P Cat, you can self refer to them when you know a P Cat is coming. They will help you with a plan for your release. Use this time to plan your future, instead of trying to get out ASAP.

Hi,

I am trying to find out info on how is the medical release process initiated.

I have heard that it is initiated by both my unit and the medics/docs.  I have been trying to find anything at all to see how is the decision to medically release someone is made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back