• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

Your Kines degree although valuable would not suffice. The anatomy and phsyiology classes are definately helpful. You would likely not receive a waiver for these requirements. MED TECHs are an open trade and you can now get an offer within 5 days of doing your interview and medical (providing everything is good). My advice....go get the courses. You are needed

i read on the CFRC site (before the changed it recently) and my recruiter said, that you have to have those cources in high school.

My trade "required" high school senior mathematics and physics.
I had the math, but never took physics. I am now in the trade I wanted.  I just had to study a little harder than average while on course.
My advice is to take the apptitude test, and if you score high enough for Med Tech, the rest should be gravy.

Cheers,

dont.get.it.48 said:
i read on the CFRC site (before the changed it recently) and my recruiter said, that you have to have those cources in high school.

What are "cources"?

Anyways, I was an enlisted medic in the reserves during high school, and I never took Biology beyond grade 9. When I joined, the recruiters offered me the job based on how well I did on my CFAT. No one mentioned anything about me not meeting prerequisites.

Elwood said:
What are "cources"?

Anyways, I was an enlisted medic in the reserves during high school, and I never took Biology beyond grade 9. When I joined, the recruiters offered me the job based on how well I did on my CFAT. No one mentioned anything about me not meeting prerequisites.

Well there you go.  When you join the reserves as a Med A there were no prerequisites.

HH

Thanks for the replies everyone!  When I dropped off my application last week I asked the recruiter about this and I was told I would be ok since my university degree was in a similar field.

Chris

You'll do fine Chris. In the Reserves, Med. A. was a blast. I'm sure it's even better in the Reg. F.

I am an infantry reservist who has applied to reg force as a Med Tech.  My thinking is that the military training for medic will give me equal if not superior qualifications than a civilian college Paramedic course.  But the question that still haunts me is with Military Medical Technician Qualifications do I have a chance of getting a civilian Paramedic job? 

P.S. - Its not to late for me to cancel my application or to apply for college for next september

From what i understand you will be taking the Paramedic Course out of the Justice Institute of British Columbia.  This is where I was going to take my EMR and PCP.  It is a certified class. So unless i am totaly wrong once you have your EMR or PCP you care certifed though-out Canada and not just as member of the CF. I would still go to the local recutment center and ask a Med Tech there.
Hope this helps

Good Luck

When you're done your training, whichever province you are posted to have certain things you have to do to get their provincial certification/licensure.  Some bases already have it set up for you to get your local licence/certification, others don't due to legal ramblings.  If that's the case, you apply on your own through the service provider and jump through their hoops.  As it stands, all provinces vary in how the challenges are done - check witht eh Ministry when you get to wherever you finally land.

Cheers.

MM

Hi all, as U can tell by my user name my intent is to beocme a Med Tech with DND. from what Ive seen on this site there is LOTS of info, almost too much, information overload if you will.

Like everyone else I'll have to go the Basic Training- Lots of neat posts there some telling me to FRAEK others saying just pay ATTN-I think I'll stick to that one.

Anyway the reason why Im posting this is becasue there is sooo much info on this site can anyone point me into the right direction for my searches?

I'd like as much info as I can get not just for BMQ but for Med  Tech. To give everyone some additional insight Im currently a PCP in Ontario been one for over 2 years but things aren't going the way I had planned.
Anyone with any extra info to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Newbymedic

You can probably find what you want on the Med stuff here.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,45.0.html

You can give the recruiting Wiki a browse:

http://air-force.ca/wiki/index.php/Recruiting

My best advice I can give you is not to stress it too much. The recruiters will be able to give you all the specific answers you're looking for and many people have been down the same path before so it's not something unobtainable or out of reach. Not everyone had the internet to give them all the details of their transition from civilian to military life after all :D Just work hard, stay focused and don't give up and everything will come along swimmingly, I'm sure.

Hello all,

I have been around this site for about a year. I have learned a tremendous amount from reading posts and doing searches. I am currently in the application process for Med-Tech and direct entry SAR-TECH.

I am very curious to know of any experiences from civilian qualified Paramedics, PCP or ACP who have gone through the prior learning assessment for REG-Force Med-Tech.

Specifically,

What rank or level were you granted after BMQ?

What is the actual take home pay of a Private 3, and of a new Corporal
Med-Tech? (trying to do some budgeting... :))

What were your experiences like after BMQ in trade?

I have personally been an ACP in a high volume EMS system for 7 years. Going through the PLAR now.

Thanks.

To answer your question, you will be a private level 2 with you background.  I am currently at the medical school, I was not a direct paramedic entry like yourself as I was a remuster from the infantry but I know many people that were in your spot.  You will not get Cpl, sorry to break it to you bud.
You might even have to do the PCP phase here, they are currently making new recruits who have PCP and ACP go to JIBC to redo their course

Thanks.

That's not what I'm hearing from the Recruiter at all. I have been told everything from acting Cpl. with a $40.000 signing bonus to Private 3, but not exactly what you said. I was initially contacted during a recruiting display at a Paramedic conference and told the above. Apparently the bonus was to attract trained and experienced Civillian Paramedics to the CF and to help with the wage transition. Currently
ACP's in southern Ontario are making $80.000 +. Things changed a bit once I got into a CFRC.

Hey, for me it's not the money. I certainly don't expect a signing bonus. It's simply something I really really want to do. I just don't want to be put through another civilian PCP course. I will jump through any hoops the CF wants me too, but I will have trouble taking a fraction of salary to do another year or two of college the exact same as what I already have done and teach at a similar Community College.

This doesn't happen with some other semiskilled trades in the CF where an applicant has already completed a similar civilian diploma. Why PCP?

My interview is on Monday and I will have a lot of questions.

Sorry, to further disappoint you, but I serious doubt the validity of "direct entry" to SAR Tech. You will be able to apply only after you have completed your QL5 course, which will be at a minimum of 2 years after joining. Furthermore, you will have to go through the application process, interviews, physical test, etc..., just like everyone else applying. You may want to confirm with your recruiter to make sure you are getting all the correct information. Best of luck, we're also looking for good medics!

i]This doesn't happen with some other semiskilled trades in the CF where an applicant has already completed a similar civilian diploma. [/i]

Semi-skilled means that an applicant meets some of the initial course requirements for the trade not all of them and there may be a requirement for that applicant, once they are enrolled, to take further training to meet the initial course requirements of the trade.  PCP does not equal qualified and ready to go Med Tech in the CF.

$40.000 signing bonus

Find that hard to believe since there has never been a problem recruiting Med Techs and I can't find anything on the website.

but I will have trouble taking a fraction of salary to do another year or two of college

No one has said anything about year(s) of additional training.  Can't remember the exact length of training at JIBC but believe it is around 30-45 days long.

My interview is on Monday and I will have a lot of questions.

Also ask the Med Tech or PA during the medical.  Good Luck.

Southern Boy, there was a recent trial of direct entry SAR for civi Paramedics...I don't know how it's going (I suspect the first class are still in tng) but I do know offers were made to several BCAS BLS and ALS paramedics.  I don't know of any who accepted the offer (the pay cut and posting options were the big reasons for at least people I know) from BC.

The DND PCP at JIBC is still about 13 weeks long, it is a certificate program versus the Ontario Diploma program, it meets CMA and NOCP requirements.  I agree it's absolutely asinine to expect working EMS members to go back and do it again...if they've got the qualifications there is no reason for DND to pay for the same qualification again.

Back