• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

I really appreciate all this advice...Thanks!!

I do want to join the CF for many reasons one of them being further education and training that I just wont get on Civvy street. So I guess the more courses the better.

I applied to the Canadain Forces as a Med Tech quite a few months ago through their Semi Skilled entry plan,as i'm already a PCP with a number of years of experience and am still waiting for my PLAR(prior learning assessment review)to be approved.The DND site states that the CF will only take PCP's from the following provences:SK,NS,ON and BC,they will also take EMT-P's from AB and P1's from PEI.I took my PCP in one of the first four provinces listed,but still haven't heard back from them with a start date.My hiring process went very smoothly and i even scored Commisioned scores on my CFAT and start to wonder how long i can wait on this.When i applied for Med Tech,to top it off,it was on the urgent list and yet i still wait.

Does anyone know how many Med Techs they are taking in 2008?Is there still goin to be a job for me by the time they get this PLAR done?I notice Med Tech is no longer on the Urgent list and grow concerned as time goes on.I would also like to know if you still need to reach SGT to take your PA because i had heard it was moving to entry as a Master Corporal.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Unglunk said:
I would also like to know if you still need to reach SGT to take your PA because i had heard it was moving to entry as a Master Corporal.

The answer as of today is yes, you need to be a Sgt, 2 years in rank to be nominated for the PA course. Even if you come in as a MCpl, you will still need to  complete your QL5/QL 6 and PLQ courses before being eligible for promotion to WO which happens at the end of course.

Thanks for your quick response.I won't be coming in as Master Corporal on enrollment,but was told i would most likely recieve my Corporal rank on completion of BMQ.I did speak with a PA who told me that when he took it,you did have to be a SGT,but had heard that it was being changed to Master Corporals being able to take it due to shortages;he said he wasn't sure on this but had heard that.Thanks for the clarification.

ParaMedTech said:
Southern Boy, there was a recent trial of direct entry SAR for civi Paramedics...I don't know how it's going (I suspect the first class are still in tng) but I do know offers were made to several BCAS BLS and ALS paramedics.  I don't know of any who accepted the offer (the pay cut and posting options were the big reasons for at least people I know) from BC.

As a new PCP graduate, and the decrease in jobs throughout Ontario this thread intriques me. Is there any further information on the direct entry recruitment into SAR out there/ how the recent trial went? As an ex reservist and new PCP medic in ontario, this looks like a possible career option I'd like to pursue. Guess I'll get on the horn with the recruiter tomorrow, but any other information would help.

P.S. That $40,000 signing bonus would help with student loans  ;)

Thanks,
S   

future medic said:
As a new PCP graduate, and the decrease in jobs throughout Ontario this thread intriques me. Is there any further information on the direct entry recruitment into SAR out there/ how the recent trial went? As an ex reservist and new PCP medic in ontario, this looks like a possible career option I'd like to pursue. Guess I'll get on the horn with the recruiter tomorrow, but any other information would help.

P.S. That $40,000 signing bonus would help with student loans  ;)

Thanks,
S   

Nearest CFRC is your best bet. Failing that do a search, there was recently an update with regards to PCP direct entry into SAR. One of our members on the boards is a SAR Tech and follows this topic closely.

Just want to throw in my two cents:

For those of you who work or want to work civy-side paramedic, being in the military as a Med tech is not at all the same. Med Techs do and are expected to know so much more.

Paramedic level algorithm based medicine is one of the basics to being a military Med Tech.

If you want more info, go read the medical threats.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
If you want more info, go read the medical threats.

Holy crap, is it that bad that you have to resort to threats?  ;)

I have to agree with St. Michaels Medical Team. After being a Paramedic for 10 years. ACP for 8, Educator, ER medic etc....general keener.... ;D I must say that civillian EMS is just that. Algorithm based care. Very very true in many ways.

The attractive thing about being a Med-Tech to me anyway is that is is different and provides an opportunity to do so much more.

As well it allows me to fulfill a personal goal of joining the CF for so many reasons.

In saying that Im still waiting for my PLAR to through. Hoping to get something for my experience though and assist with the wage transition from 87K to ?? It's a personal choice to do something to better myself and to serve. Money isnt everything and honestly I have researched this to death and I truly think if your keen enough and work hard enough that the Med-Tech option offers so much more long term career options and opportunities for advancement than your going to get working EMS in Ontario.

As far as SAR-TECH goes I think youll find they want your BMQ to start for that in the fall.

Call the CFRC.

The PDF file for this trade on the forces website says you go to military occupational training after BMQ, but then on another site it says that you go this after SQ. So, do medics receive SQ training?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22558/post-721324.html#msg721324

Your SQ may be before or after your QL3 trades training. All depends on when QL3 courses are scheduled to begin and if they can course load you prior to that. If the dates don't jive, you will probably be loaded on QL3, sent to your unit after that and it will become your units responsibility to have you course loaded on an SQ course in Gagetown, Meaford, etc.

I am a bit confused as to why this is suggested. I am getting a ton of mixed information pertaining to the med-tech career field and it is getting rather hard to sort through the varied opinions.

I am not sure I understand your question.. "enter with PCP training?" Can you please clarify what it is you are looking for?

He is asking why it is suggested that Medtechs perhaps enter the trade with previous paramedic training.

My guess would be that being a qualified paramedic would give you an edge, but really previous experince or not, it's no doubt not an easy trade, as someone who is PCP qualified, I would imagine much like going to school for paramedics it's high stress, but worth while.

I understand that, I guess I should have clarified myself. What I am wondering is where he got his info that it is suggested Med Techs enter the trade with previous paramedic training. From experience, most med techs are entering with little/no experience. Even those that are current PCP paramedics have to complete the Clinical portion of the Med Tech training, as it is not the same as the PCP training. On my Clinical portion of my QL3's we had one individual that was a licensed PCP paramedic (for about 2 years) and he honestly had no advantage over any of us on the course who had no prior training. (other than the small background of A&P knowdlege which was probably a good foundation) The skills we learned in the clinical portion are quite different than those that I am learning in my PCP program currently.

Most Med Techs on my course, and on the course behind me managed to get their SQ done before being loaded on their QL3's. The majority of us had a 3-6 month wait in Borden before our Clinical portion of our QL3's, so we were sent to Meaford/Gagetown/Shilo for our SQ. Those that haven't had a chance to complete this course yet have been told we'll be doing it once we get posted to our unit.

If anything personally I would rather go in with no previous knowledge. Not too sure where he is getting his knowledge, but previous experince or not like I said its a demanding job, both sides of the fence. Personally I wouldn't want to redo any of my paramedic courses once was enough for this girl.

Back