• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

mkil said:
mraemedic:

There is ABSOLUTELY no difference in training or job no matter what element you are. I am an airforce med tech and did all the army training. I am just as likely to go on ship or be at a field ambulance as I am to be at an air force base.

As for your bilingual question: if you hold a PCP license already, tell the recruiter up front. The forces will not pay for you to go to PCP college again if you already have the license... and you would be taking a spot away from a Francophone who already has to wait longer than an anglo for training. If you don't tell the recruiter, that could be deemed as lying on your recruitment, which could mean a release from the forces. Plus, why would you want to keep it a secret?? It shortens your training SUBSTANTIALLY, makes your QL3 phase easier and I have quite a few friends who go $10 000 recruitment bonuses for being semi-skilled (not sure if that is still a thing). Point here: just disclose the darn PCP license.

I am a bilingual anglophone med tech working at BFC Bagotville which is 100% French. Most medical terms are the same as English but with an accent. Being bilingual does make you more employable, and you could move up the ranks faster. However; you will have to be officially tested and given a public service language proficiency profile and meet the standard of BBB (reading, writing and oral) before you are considered bilingual. It is harder than you would think.

Inbox me if you have any further questions.

Disclosing the license goes without a doubt (halfway through training right now).  It is pretty redundant to go through the same training twice, I agree, but I was wondering if francophones would be enough in demand that it might be worth it. Sounds like that's not the case, though.  Heard that there aren't many med tech positions open this year so I'm looking for the best approach.

I'm probably around a BBA. Worked in a bilingual federal gov department and I seemed to get by. Got through most of my 3 years of french-instruction poli sci pretty well without speaking much. First I have to get in before I can move up the ranks with the benefit of bilingualism though  ;)

mraemedic said:
...move up the ranks with the benefit of bilingualism though...

Don't make your plans based on that misapprehension.

mraemedic said:
Disclosing the license goes without a doubt (halfway through training right now).  It is pretty redundant to go through the same training twice, I agree, but I was wondering if francophones would be enough in demand that it might be worth it. Sounds like that's not the case, though.  Heard that there aren't many med tech positions open this year so I'm looking for the best approach.

The PCP program run by JIBC is accredited by the CMA and recognized by the CAF, so if you already possess that diploma, then you would be considered as a "Semi-Skilled" applicant, should you apply for Med Tech.

And the CAF will be hiring ALLOT of Med Techs this coming year.  If you are interested, I would suggest that you apply NOW and at least get the process started.

How do I know if the school I did my PCP program is recognized by the CAF? I've applied and I am now waiting to hear back for my medical and interview. Passed CFAT. Also, if they're hiring a lot, what are the chances of starting BMQ in March?

Medictb93 said:
How do I know if the school I did my PCP program is recognized by the CAF? I've applied and I am now waiting to hear back for my medical and interview. Passed CFAT. Also, if they're hiring a lot, what are the chances of starting BMQ in March?

You take your certificates etc back to the CFRC and ask for a PLAR. You should be able to find out if your programme is acredited by going here:

https://www.cma.ca/En/Pages/paramedicine.aspx

Medictb93 said:

There is an approved list of schools and programs that the CAF Recruiters will refer to. 

Medictb93 said:

PM me with your School and program and I shall tell you if it is possibly recognized or not.  Nevertheless, as part of the application process and as ModlrMike has mentioned, they are going to want your final academic transcripts from your PCP program, along with a Resume and also a copy of your Paramedics Licence.  These documents will be used during the PLAR process to validate your qualifications/experience/credentials, etc.  The PLAR process can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to as long as 2-4 months, sometimes longer.  So chances of getting a BMQ in Mar wouldn't be realistic.

Also, you can use this link as a "guide ONLY".  ---->  http://cafcod-rpfcfac.forces.gc.ca/en/index

CFRC's will still need to validate any academic credentials which may relate to your chosen occupations.

mraemedic said:

I'm probably around a BBA. Worked in a bilingual federal gov department and I seemed to get by. Got through most of my 3 years of french-instruction poli sci pretty well without speaking much. First I have to get in before I can move up the ranks with the benefit of bilingualism though  ;)

The CAF does not classify you as a Franco or an Anglo medic... there are only medics. It does not matter what language you speak. If you end up at a French speaking base and they deem your French isn't good enough for the job, you will be language coursed. The same goes for Francos who end up at an English speaking base. It is selfish beyond belief to want to have tax payers pay for you to go to school again for the same thing just so you can have what you perceive to be an advantage. Apply, get in, do you training, get posted THEN worry about bilngualism.

Just want to thank all of you above for answering every possible Med Tech question I had for applying through the semi-skilled route.

Hey there guys, I have a few quick questions about the Med. Tech Trade. I phoned a recruiter at the Montreal Recruiting Detachment, however I have this habit of confirming from multiple resources  :p (I'm in Qc. by the way)

So, here goes;

1) My first question is about the required education (Grade 12 Biology, Chemistry or Physics). The recruiter said that if I have a diploma in Pre-Hospital Emergency Care (Paramedic School in Quebec), and are a certified Paramedic, I do not need to have an academic profile of Biology, Chemistry or Physics. He said that those requisites are for those who are choosing in "un-skilled" entry plan, and not "semi-skilled", (which would technically be my case right now)

2) My second question is what exactly happens when you choose the "semi-skilled" entry plan? Do you need to do another sort of certification course or training course? I would assume so because of the type of situations you might encounter in the Forces vs. civilian life

3) My third question is that if you don't need to do anything like said in Question #2, could you possibly take the Med. Tech. course in the Forces (even if you are a PCP)? I would assume what you would learn in the Forces' course would be rather different than a provincial paramedic training, so maybe that might add some knowledge to my belt.

Thanks for whoever took a look at my questions, and to those who can answer  :nod:

Hi there,
  I am a medic, I also worked in recruiting a few years ago. Sounds like the recruiter had told you right.
The major difference between the two is that you would be paying for the PCP ( semi skilled). Then you would only have to do certain portions of QL3's rather than the full thing.
  Semi skilled individuals save the CAF money, which makes it easier to join,  they wouldn't let you do the PCP course again once you are semi skilled.

There are only certain PCP courses in each province that the military would only accept. Hope this helps

Jordan Mammoliti said:
I have a few quick questions about the Med. Tech Trade.

These may help.

Medical Technician - Unskilled, Semi-skilled, Skilled Application 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/81858.75.html

Medical Technician (Med Tech) Questions 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/28820.75

A few questions about the MedTech trade 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108013.25.html

Question about Med Tech Trade 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/118371/post-1357258/topicseen.html#new

Thanks for the replies guys.

Should I phone a local recruiter to see if the CEGEP where I would like to get my DEC in Pre-Hospital Emergency Care is recognized by the Forces? Or are those CEGEPs listed just automatically recognized, and for others they would analyse your credentials & what not?

Have a great night :)

Jordan Mammoliti said:
Should I phone a local recruiter to see if the CEGEP where I would like to get my DEC in Pre-Hospital Emergency Care is recognized by the Forces? Or are those CEGEPs listed just automatically recognized, and for others they would analyse your credentials & what not?

At the present time, the CF currently "recognizes" only one PCP course from Quebec which would qualify for Med Tech - Semiskilled.

http://www.collegeahuntsic.qc.ca/futur-etudiant/programmes-et-formations/programmes-techniques/soins-prehospitaliers-durgence-181a0/devenir-un-intervenant-cle-en-sante

Any other program obtained in that province, would have to be evaluated on an individual basis.  Keep in mind, that the course above is a "3-year" program and whilst it is "recognized" for applicants applying to the CF today, it may not necessarily be recognized 3-4 years from now.

Jordan Mammoliti said:
1) My first question is about the required education (Grade 12 Biology, Chemistry or Physics). The recruiter said that if I have a diploma in Pre-Hospital Emergency Care (Paramedic School in Quebec), and are a certified Paramedic, I do not need to have an academic profile of Biology, Chemistry or Physics. He said that those requisites are for those who are choosing in "un-skilled" entry plan, and not "semi-skilled", (which would technically be my case right now)

2) My second question is what exactly happens when you choose the "semi-skilled" entry plan? Do you need to do another sort of certification course or training course? I would assume so because of the type of situations you might encounter in the Forces vs. civilian life

3) My third question is that if you don't need to do anything like said in Question #2, could you possibly take the Med. Tech. course in the Forces (even if you are a PCP)? I would assume what you would learn in the Forces' course would be rather different than a provincial paramedic training, so maybe that might add some knowledge to my belt.

1)  The information you received is reasonably correct.  Semi-Skilled = PCP Qualified + Currently Licensed + Minimum 3 months employment as a "Paramedic" in an "emergency medical service or NO experience if you are a "recent" graduate of a recognized PCP Program.  So there is NO such thing as "technically" semi-skilled.  You either are or you aren't.

2)  You don't "choose" semi-skilled, it is chosen for you.  When you apply to the CF, your academic credentials, previous employment history and experience associated with your occupation choice is "assessed".  If you meet certain requirements, the CF will identify you as a "Semi-Skilled" applicant.  Other than that, everyone basically applies as "unskilled" in the beginning.

3)  Everyone enrolled in the CF as a Med Tech, whether PCP qualified or not, will undergo Med Tech training.

What kind of life do you live as a medical technician? What is the daily routine/training like?
How hard is to get promoted compared to other units/branches?
How often do you relocate as a NCM?
I am 36years old have been working as an athletic therapist / EMR for the past 6years. Am I too late?

duli83 said:
I am 36years old have been working as an athletic therapist / EMR for the past 6years. Am I too late?

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87496.0

Hi, I applied for Med Tech. As prep for the interview they said to know the  The trade that I applied for I imagine for obvious reasons. Other than what the website and Google can let me know can crank Metex tell me about the trade information that's not already found out more from like personal experience

SraelCohen said:
I applied for Med Tech. As prep for the interview they said to know the  The trade that I applied for I imagine for obvious reasons. Other than what the website and Google can let me know can crank Metex tell me about the trade information that's not already found out more from like personal experience

Med Tech
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca++Med+tech&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mwRDV_mSOseC8Qeh85XgDw&gws_rd=ssl

SraelCohen said:
Hi, I applied for Med Tech. As prep for the interview they said to know the  The trade that I applied for I imagine for obvious reasons. Other than what the website and Google can let me know can crank Metex tell me about the trade information that's not already found out more from like personal experience

Good morning:

Some work on your grammar may help you pursue a trade such as Medical Technician in the CAF.  Good luck.

Good day,

I am seeking some information regarding a current situation I am having. I will start off by saying I have not been able to find any current information on what I'm looking for, only 4 plus years old info.

I was accepted for Semi-skilled Med Tech back in March of this year. At my enrollment ceremony, a medical problem kept me from going to my BMQ start date. I was to get cleared to be re processed, and I have been. I have been re offered my job as Semi-skilled Med Tech in the Army.

Now to my problem. I am currently enrolled in Advanced Care Paramedic school, and am a semester into the 2 year program. I am on the fence about leaving school and accepting this offer or staying in school and negating the offer.

I'm trying to get a good grasp on the day to life as an Army medic as I already understand what the civilian life entails.

My biggest concern is completing training after leaving school, and doing nothing but kit check and maintenance day in day out without any action (excuse the phrase).

If anybody could give me some personal insight or from a recruiters standpoint? Or should I move this thread elsewhere.

Any insight is appreciated,
Thanks,
BigRed

Back