• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Men's"/whatever "Christmas"/whatever Dinner (merged)

[slight tangent]
Moral: A lesson derived from a story.  In the plural, referring to a state of good versus evil.  (see "ethics")
Morale: A measure of the mood, attitude and overall well-being of a person or a group of persons.
[/slight tangent]

Mods: I nominate Tess to be banned from posting any more photos.  >:D

Eye In The Sky said:
As I belive it was my little story of the good ol days while I was in The PEIR that led to your (inflated, IMO) statements that these dinners are alcohol fueled disciplinary incidents,
:2c:

Please don't assume that your contributions affected my rationale. I have enough personal anecdotes that make your reminiscences seem like teenage antics.  From my times as a unit NPFAO arguing with senior staff about the quantity of beer required for the dinners -  to the cases of bottles (beer and wine) that just had to be consumed since they were all opened prior to the dinner's commencement.  The torn and soiled uniforms and of course a few DUIs that have resulted from these morale-raising noon-time activities.  As for the comments about officers' mess dinners I would suggest that these events should be seen as completely different in intent and history.  I have played my share of cabbage football and combat crud after dinners with the scars and deformations that resulted. 

Crantor said:
Regardless, with all the cuts being made, I'm sure the fact that the ARMY Ball is not getting cancelled will be justified with "morale reasons".
Is the Army Ball a public or non-public funded event?

Hello

I have a question about the Mens Christmas Dinner or now refered to the Soldiers Holiday Dinner (I have already read all the posts about this controversy, it is not about that).  I have searched this site and all the usual search engines and I can't find the answer to my question.
What is the history of the Mens Christmas Dinner?  More specificaly about how it really started.  I have heard that it has something to do with a Canadian infantry Unit and the first one had something to do with a chicken farm.  I am looking for more information on this topic such as the war it happened in?(i assume it is World War 1)  I have talked with some other soldiers on this subject most had no idea one gave some information on it and another said I was being fooled.  I am familliar with how it works today and all the traditions but i would like to know it's history.

Thank you

Bumped with a new idea for those who don't like mentioning Christmas, with the usual Wikipedia caveats:
.... Saturnalia is the best-known of several festivals in the Greco-Roman world characterized by role reversals and behavioral license.  Slaves were treated to a banquet of the kind usually enjoyed by their masters. Ancient sources differ on the circumstances: some suggest that master and slave dined together, while others indicate that the slaves feasted first, or that the masters actually served the food. The practice may have varied over time, and in any case slaves would still have prepared the meal ....
So, as the holidays creep upon us, please enjoy your ....
All Ranks Saturnalia Banquet
.... and a "Yo Saturnalia" to you all - togas optional  ;D

milnews.ca said:
Bumped with a new idea for those who don't like mentioning Christmas, with the usual Wikipedia caveats:So, as the holidays creep upon us, please enjoy your ....
All Ranks Saturnalia Banquet
.... and a "Yo Saturnalia" to you all - togas optional  ;D

That would be togas with medals... ;D

Saturnalia-1024x691.jpg

Now, that's my kind of holiday ... maybe its' time for another trip to someplace warm.  :nod:

Back