• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Most active infantry reserve regiment

M

MousePotato

Hi, im living in Mississauga Ontario and am looking to join an army reserve unit as an Infanteer. I was wondering , what is the most actively deployed regiment in terms of combat and peacekeeping missions.

Thanks

A canadian reserve unit hasn‘t been deployed to peacekeeping or combat since ww2.

The Calgary Highlanders just had an entire platoon return from Bosnia, but I guess we‘re a bit far away for you... :D We‘ve been constantly sending men on tours; I do believe some of our number even got the Commander in Chief‘s Commendation for being part of the 2 PPCLI battle group that fought at Medak Pocket.

my Plt Commander was awarded the Commander in Chief‘s Commendation for the Medak Pocket a lil while ago

I have had a couple of wicked friends from the Lorne Scots. From what I hear they are a pretty bang on unit.

Why?? well why not. Isnt that the job of an Infanteer. To enter into areas of conflict and resolve those conflicts. I would hate to be a soldier and never actually end up being a soldier It would be like being an athlete and spending my whole career training never actually getting into the game.
I have looked at the Lorne scots and the seem good as well I was looking at the 48th Highlanders in Hamilton. Im willing to travel as much as 50 km to join a good regiment.

48th Highlanders is in Toronto.

Infantry units in Hamilton are Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada.

As a reserve infantry soldier the chances of you getting out to do the real thing is pretty slim though reservests are starting to get more and more chances to go on tour with the reg force.

Just recently they started sending a whole company of reservests to bosnia along with reg force battle groups. (The reservest company is made up of a handful of soldiers from each regiment in the area.)

Well I have really battled with the thought of going in full-time. I know the Infantry is hiring full time now and I know I would make it. Only problem is my obligations to my gf(future wife) and child. My GF would not be into moving away from her family which she is very close with.
So I figured joining an active reserve unit would satisfy what I want and also allow me to satisfy my current obligations.
Well Im going to join a reserve unit anyway, and enjoy it for what it is as well as hope that reservists become more active in the future.

As for those who are thinking about the Military life try the Militia for a year our two then decide.

Check the links pages on this site and you‘ll come up with a few direct links to pages in the S-W ONT area.

But, for Inf., you are pretty much looking at the Lorne Scots (HQ in Brampton), the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Hamilton), the RHLI‘s in Hamilton (both are at the John Foote Armoury), the 48th Highlanders in Toronto. You may also want to look at the armoured res. Check out the York Rangers in Toronto. I think there are more regs in Toronto -- but hey, I don‘t know for sure ‘cause I‘m not from there.

Do a search on yahoo and you‘ll come up with the various webpages.

Also, find the LFCA website (access from the DND website) and the 31 & 32 Brigade group websites and they will show you the lay of the land for units and areas.

You past the intake window for this summer. But, definitely call them now and see what you can do about getting on the fall BMQ course.

PS. The various reserves units in S-W ONT are sending a lot of guys on Roto 13 to Bosnia.

DnA: Your Platoon Commander went overseas when he was a Seaforth Highlander, along with about a dozen other Seaforths who were all decorated for their work in Croatia and the Medak Pocket.

Our unit has sent people to Korea, Cyprus, Egypt, Germany, Croatia, Bosnia, among others, and has about a dozen people on Roto 11, and more currently on roto 12. Then again, I doubt there‘s a single reserve infantry regiment who can‘t make the same claim. Any unit you join will have opportunities available to go on tour, if you work hard and mention your interest and availability.

Also, no reserve regiment has been deployed as a regiment since WWII, so don‘t expect to go overseas as a unit, as that would take a big war and an act of parliament.

Combat_Medic, yup, him an the other‘s were attached to the PPCLI battle group in Croatia aswell (I know you already knew that Combat Medic, just saying it to the guy asking questions an anyone else that doesnt know)

also, it just isnt Infantry that get‘s deployed, theirs people from my unit who are their right now an their LOG an EME, an theirs around 8 others(from my unit, 12 SVC BN) I believe going on the next roto, along with members from the 12th MP Plt, 15th MP Coy

Just an FYI, militia infantry regiments in Toronto are: Queen‘s Own Rifles, 48th Highlanders, Toronto Scottish Regt. - all at Moss Park Armouries, and the Royal Regiment of Canada at the Fort York Armoury. Now I heard somewhere that the Toronto Scottish might have moved to Fort York, but either way, that‘s the rundown for Toronto infantry regiments.

Yes, the Tor Scots have been at FYA for more than 10 years now, possibly a lot longer...

Actually a little longer than ten years. They moved in when the Armouries was built, prior to WWII if memory serves me right,

WOw thanks for all the great info. I guess I should have worded my original question better. I should have asked if any reserve soldiers get to go oversas on missions.
Well Im going to the Lorne Scots on Thursday night to start the application process.

Wow! Zoomie and Danjanou, thanks for correcting me. I thought I remembered seeing Tor Scots around Moss Park when I was with the QOR in the early ‘90‘s...maybe I did, I guess I just made the assumption they paraded there too. thanks.

Back