• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

multi unit armoury Commanding Officers?

rz350

Inactive
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, in a reserve armoury with more then one unit resident. (I.e. Ft.York or Moss Park here in Toronto) is there a single Commanding Officer or person in charge of the facility of as a whole? As in relations to things such as grounds maintenance and repairs and other things of a general nature that would not fall to any particular unit that is a resident.

The individual CO's have control over their own Units, equipment, stores and personnel.  They don't have anything to do with the facilities proper.  The CO of the "supporting Base" would be responsible as the facility manager.  The Supporting Base CE Officer would usually be responsible to handle most requirements and work orders for maint and repairs. 

There may be a designated OIC Armoury.  When I was last in Halifax it was assigned to my unit, the PLF.  Tasks included such niceties as organizing the annual clean up of the grounds for the Base and monitoring the Armoury for items such as the broken furniture units would abandon in basement hallways when no-one was looking thinking the cleaning fairies would spirit it away for them.  The appointment, however, came with no actual authority and no funding.

From past experience, the CO of the "major" unit in the armoury will attempt to grab control

Infantry Bn & Comms Sqn..... Infantry takes it
Engr Reg't & Comms Sqn...... Engineers take it

Arty unit moved into Armd unit's armoury.... Armoured takes it

Michael O`Leary said:
There may be a designated OIC Armoury.  When I was last in Halifax it was assigned to my unit, the PLF.  Tasks included such niceties as organizing the annual clean up of the grounds for the Base and monitoring the Armoury for items such as the broken furniture units would abandon in basement hallways when no-one was looking thinking the cleaning fairies would spirit it away for them.  The appointment, however, came with no actual authority and no funding.

This is bang on, from my experience, and the OIC was not the rank of Colonel.  It could have been even as low as Sgt.

Class B position, and was capable of turning the nicest into the Sheriff of Notingham!  And this was for Moss Park Armouries, to make the thread relevant.

dileas

tess

CSDH has an OIC that switches between the two units every year.

Minto Armouries in Winnipeg has a "Garrison SSO" with the rank of Major who is responsible for the running of the Armouries, full time Garrison Orderly Room, etc. The position is Class B, and Minto is home to six units, plus the Winnipeg Trg Det. Units run their own lines, etc. How well it works is a good question.....

Back