• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

N.B. School Silences Canada National Anthem

Sonnyjim

Inactive
Reaction score
NEW.BRUNSWICK (CBC) - The Boyd sisters have been raised singing the national anthem every day, but a New Brunswick school has silenced their morning ritual.

These days, the only time Julia Boyd, 11, gets to belt out the anthem's lyrics is at monthly school assemblies, other special occasions or at home with her older sister Kara.

That's because singing O Canada is no longer a daily morning event at Belleisle Elementary. The school's principal has dropped it in response to concerns from other parents.

"It makes me sad, upset," Julia said. "I didn't feel very good about it."
Julia said the national anthem is one way that she feels closer to the Canadian soldiers who are serving overseas.

The girls' cousin Pte. David Robert Greenslade was killed in Afghanistan in April 2007. Greenslade was one of six Canadian soldiers killed and two others injured when their armoured vehicle hit a roadside bomb west of Kandahar City.

"I like singing O Canada every day, and it reminds me of the troops that are over there," she said.

For Susan Boyd, the girls' mother, the anthem is one of the most important lessons for students.

"And not only sing the anthem but talk about the anthem so the children will understand what it means, where it came from," Boyd said. "What all the words [to the anthem] mean so they will know and take pride, and they should take pride."

Whether to sing the national anthem appears to be a delicate matter in the small southern New Brunswick community.

Erik Millett, the school's principal, said he made the decision partly to accommodate parents who didn't want their children taking part in the daily anthem.

"We try to balance the needs of every student, and we want every student to feel welcome in our school," Millett said.

"And part of our school and included in that and if we need to make some accommodations or exceptions then we'll try to put those in place regardless of what the issue is."

Nearly all elementary students in the district sing the anthem every day. But that decision is up to each school.

Annette Pollock has a grandson at the school and she also counts herself as among those upset about the kids' inability to sing the national anthem daily inside the classroom.

"He goes to hockey. It's pretty bad when you have to wait for hockey to teach him O Canada instead of in the schools," she said of her grandson.

"I'm sure he'll learn it. They play it at every game."

Susan Boyd isn't giving up the fight to bring the national song back to the classrooms in Belleisle Elementary, however.
She said she's hoping that she and other parents can convince the school to bring back the daily anthem.
The school principal, however, says it's not simply about O Canada. He said the province needs to take a closer look at the issue and stand on guard for all students

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090128/canada/canada_newbrunswick_nb_o_canada_1

How long do instances such as this have to go on before somebody steps up and smacks somebody in the face. I remember a situation like this at a local school where the Christmas Trees were taken down because of similar reasons. Articles like this infuriate me.

I really wonder what the concerns were of those "Concerned Parents"? 

Then again, some may remember that the National Anthem was played in Cinemas/Theatres/Movie Houses before the ads and main feature were played.  It used to be played before all Sporting Events.  Slowly it is being forgotten.........not that changing the words every five or six years hasn't had its affect either.  I don't think I know the words to the latest version.

George Wallace said:
I really wonder what the concerns were of those "Concerned Parents"? 

Then again, some may remember that the National Anthem was played in Cinemas/Theatres/Movie Houses before the ads and main feature were played.   It used to be played before all Sporting Events.  Slowly it is being forgotten.........not that changing the words every five or six years hasn't had its affect either.  I don't think I know the words to the latest version.

It's making me think that maybe these "concerned parents" are the kind of people who think any sort of national pride is bad... I know some individuals who view being Canadian as anything other than a title and see any involvement in the culture as being elitist, brainwashed, corrupt, etc.

I was never around to see the theatres do that, or at least not that I can remember. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure the schools here don't do the national anthem at all, either. Sad, really. You'd think people would be proud to live in Canada, except when it comes to our Sea King inventory. :p

JimMorrison19 said:
except when it comes to our Sea King inventory. :p

Yet i'm sure that those whos job it is to fly and maintain the sea kings are proud of the work that they do and the manner in which they do it.

CDN Aviator said:
Yet i'm sure that those whos job it is to fly and maintain the sea kings are proud of the work that they do and the manner in which they do it.

No doubt.

The National Post carried this as well and quotes the principal as defending the decision because it streamlines the student's morning and does not distract them as much without having to sing the anthem.

snip...\
The change also helped streamline the morning routine, Mr. Millett said, noting the anthem was distracting to students as they attempted to get settled and start their day.

Some have questioned, however, whether the principal's decision was ideological. Mr. Millett ran as a Green candidate in the last federal election and his profile on the party's Web site indicates he has been "actively involved in the peace movement."

Mr. Millett could not be reached last night for further comment.

New Brunswick schools have no legal obligation to play O Canada each morning, but in light of the recent uproar, provincial Education Minister Kelly Lamrock has mused openly on the possibility of making the anthem mandatory
..../snip rest of story click here

What I heard wa sit was 2 families...seems to be bs to me about meeting the needs of all

Shared with the usual

Susan Boyd has a daughter at Belleisle Elementary in Springfield, N.B. and only learned recently that the school stopped singing the national anthem in Sept. 2007.

Her nephew, Pte. David Greenslade, was killed two years ago while serving in Afghanistan and Boyd says she couldn't believe when she heard her daughter Julie, was no longer singing O Canada every day at school.

"With our troops in Kandahar, I just couldn't believe it. I mean right now of all time this is the time they should be supporting them with every breath," Boyd said.

School district superintendent Zoe Watson said the decision was made by principal Erik Millett after two parents complained about their children having to sing the anthem.

"Sometimes we have students whose parents, because of their beliefs, don't want their children to participate," Watson told CTV Atlantic.

But some in the community said that the decision may have been made because of Millett's personal beliefs. Millett ran for the Green Party in the last federal election and his website describes him as "actively involved in the peace movement."

Federal Veteran Affairs Minister Greg Thompson criticized the decision, calling it the wrong one to make.

"First and foremost, this gentleman is a principal and he has an obligation not only to his students, but to the community . . , I suggest he admit his mistake and restore the tradition," Thompson said.

Millett told New Brunswick newspaper the Telegraph-Journal, the change was made to accommodate all families and that the morning singing of the anthem was a distraction for students attempting to start their day by 8:35 a.m.

Boyd disagrees, saying that children would stop and stand at attention when the anthem was played whether they were in the classroom or not.

"The respect was there," Boyd told CTV Newsnet.

O Canada is still played at monthly assemblies at the school.

There is no law in New Brunswick saying schools have to sing the national anthem daily, as the decision is left to the individual school.

Still, New Brunswick Education Minister Kelly Lamrock said, "The school should play the national anthem, quite frankly."

He added he will make a recommendation to the school districts to make the anthem mandatory.

Boyd is now lobbying her local school board and starting a petition in hopes of the anthem once again becoming a morning ritual.

Millett has not stated what exactly the parents complained about in regards to the anthem.

Millett was not available for comment Thursday.

With files from CTV Atlantic's Dina Bartolacci.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Home/ContentPosting?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20090129%2fo_canada_090129&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

;D  In the three hours it took trying to remember the words, several people have already posted several other items on this topic. 

:boring:

We never sang the National Anthem except for assembly and that was 20 years ago.  I'm sure this isn't going to lead to the decay of the national character....

It probably won't decay the national character, but you'd think the parents might have something a little more important to bitch about...Over crowded classrooms, not enough teachers....Who knows, but this?

Concerned parents?

Concerned about what?

How bloody pathetic and un-Canadian!

OWDU

scas said:
"Sometimes we have students whose parents, because of their beliefs, don't want their children to participate," Watson told CTV Atlantic.

If that's the case, then these parents need to re-evaluate their choice of country.

I am tired of people coming to CANADA and wanting Canadians to change for the better and respect of their former country's culture. We no longer have Christmas concerts out of respect to students who are not of Christian faith, we no longer see National Pride in anything Canadian because it might offend some one from another country. I lived in the USA and there is a country  who has pride in who they  are, maybe as some one looking in I saw too much pride. They  demand you  remvoe your hat when their flag walks by  in a parade, you  say the pledge in school and even sing the National Anthem. No one dares to complain about it there, it is considered the fact of life, the rule of life. In Canada we give up our National Identiy to make new comers happy, we elect political parties to government whose only  platform is to break up the country. Now some one in authority  at a school has the cut the singing of "O'Canada' to make the mornings flow more smoothly.  I am Canadian, I hung a Canadian Flag at my  house in the USA, right beside the American Flag, I neverr once forgot I was Canadian but I sure wish they  would stop this idea being proud of being A Canadian is wrong and should be hidden. Our  sports teams when they  win sing  O'Canada with a sense of pride, they  display  the Flag with Pride, out troops wear the flag with honour, in some countries our flag is a free meal, free drink, and respected more there then in Canada, It is time we learn that  being Canadian is not a wrong, not something to disrepect, but being Canadian is soem to be proud of, cherished and oh yes we should sing about it every morning. Time for the Prime Minsiter, Minister of Culture to table a law and make it so. Sing the National Anthem at schools and teach the kids, the future of Canada to be proud of  being Canadian.
Just my  two cents, I do not care if you  do not like how I think, I am Canadian.  Give me O'Canada and a timbit in the morning and I am happy

FormerHorseGuard said:
I am tired of people coming to CANADA and wanting Canadians to change for the better and respect of their former country's culture. We no longer have Christmas concerts out of respect to students who are not of Christian faith, we no longer see National Pride in anything Canadian because it might offend some one from another country. I lived in the USA and there is a country  who has pride in who they  are, maybe as some one looking in I saw too much pride. They  demand you  remvoe your hat when their flag walks by  in a parade, you  say the pledge in school and even sing the National Anthem. No one dares to complain about it there, it is considered the fact of life, the rule of life. In Canada we give up our National Identiy to make new comers happy, we elect political parties to government whose only  platform is to break up the country. Now some one in authority  at a school has the cut the singing of "O'Canada' to make the mornings flow more smoothly.  I am Canadian, I hung a Canadian Flag at my  house in the USA, right beside the American Flag, I neverr once forgot I was Canadian but I sure wish they  would stop this idea being proud of being A Canadian is wrong and should be hidden. Our  sports teams when they  win sing  O'Canada with a sense of pride, they  display  the Flag with Pride, out troops wear the flag with honour, in some countries our flag is a free meal, free drink, and respected more there then in Canada, It is time we learn that  being Canadian is not a wrong, not something to disrepect, but being Canadian is soem to be proud of, cherished and oh yes we should sing about it every morning. Time for the Prime Minsiter, Minister of Culture to table a law and make it so. Sing the National Anthem at schools and teach the kids, the future of Canada to be proud of  being Canadian.
Just my  two cents, I do not care if you  do not like how I think, I am Canadian.  Give me O'Canada and a timbit in the morning and I am happy

It makes me wonder if the fact that NB has declared itself to be the only completely "Bilingual Province" and has heralded the mass influx of 'Sovereigntists' from Quebec seeking job advancement in the NB Civil Service, that the disintegration of the nation is becoming a reality.

Infanteer said:
:boring:

We never sang the National Anthem except for assembly and that was 20 years ago.  I'm sure this isn't going to lead to the decay of the national character....

I disagree. Once again, a small group in the minority declares themselves offended, and the national anthem gets the can...

The decay is that every single time an aspect of Canadian culture is challenged by a small minority of people, Canadian culture loses.  If those students did not feel comfortable singing the anthem then they can step out of the damn room and come back in when its done.  No good reason to cancel it for everyone else.  This is akin to a policy in Ontario where you cannot put up xmas trees in government buildings because it may offend those who do not subscribe to a christian denomination.  When we talk about tolerance, we need to include tolerance for Canadian mainstream society, but we dont.  THAT is the decay of the national character.

HollywoodHitman said:
It probably won't decay the national character, but you'd think the parents might have something a little more important to bitch about...Over crowded classrooms, not enough teachers....Who knows, but this?

Very true, but how much can the principal do about crowding and teacher numbers?  Versus something pretty quick and something looking like things are being done?  "Embracing and leading change" on the annual assessment, anyone?

Some more information on the principal.  It appears that he's no stranger to radical left-wing politics...

<a href="http://ezralevant.com/2009/01/anthembanning-principal-a-fail.html">Link</a>

Back