• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

VK 903b (Ausf H) armed with 50mm Pak 38 L/60 gun.?

leo_57.jpg

vG

The caption for that exact same photo in von Senger und Etterlin is:

"The VK 1602 (D) of 1941 was the prototype for the Leopard (light) with an opentopped turret and 5cm gun KwK L/60. Later fitted with a Puma turret. It did not go into prosuction."

I don't know which is right.

vG

I am under the impression it is a VK 903b (Ausf H) armed with 50mm Pak 38 L/60 gun. There is some discussion on a different forum as to wether this is what it is, or the VK-1601 mit eine 5-cm-KWK L-60. As you got both  the floor is yours.

Another photo for EBay on what I think is the same vehicle

Here you go:
Bussing NAG experimental vehicle

I am out of time today so the floor is open.

Correct, one of the pre WWII prototypes of German wheeled AFVs.

vG

The painted on return rollers have exactly the same configuration as the M41 and the same five roadwheels. So it could be an M41 trainer?

vG

Larry Strong said:
Obviously German but what was it used for?

I may be having a "deja vu moment all over again" but I'm sure I've seen this photo (or something similar) before on a forum (probably not this one).  But I haven't been able to find where I first saw it.  My memory isn't too good about it but I'll take a shot; also, the forum that discussed it might have been in German so I could be way off track.  From what I recall the odd paint job may have been done to simulate a tracked vehicle while the unit was awaiting new tracked vehicles or it may have been done because the unit's combat vehicles were a mix of wheels and tracks (trying to camouflage the combat power of the unit?).

As for the vehicle designation, that has me stumped so far.  However it is always a good guess (with a German wheeled vehicle) to question whether it was based on a Unimog chassis; maybe something like a UR-416

What it is under that mockup I have no idea, but I am quite sure that should display an HS-30. Probably the JPz3-3 variant with SS.11 ATGM´s.

Regards,
ironduke57

heh... SS11B ATGM... now that's a piece of kit I haven't heard about in a long time....
Used to use the simulator.... you could deflect simulator missiles off the ground into the targets... I was doing great until the instructor figured out what I was doing :( :)

I haven't been able to find a pic or a reference to that specific vehicle yet, but I have found some references to "Übungspanzer" in the Bundeswehr (BW).  From what I gather (all the sites were in German and I was having flashbacks to my German language course and the disappointment of my teacher that all I would be able to do was order beer and unsuccessfully chat up women) when the BW was first constituted they had difficulty in keeping a sufficient percentage of their tracked armored vehicles available for training/exercise partially due to a lack of trained (and in uniform) mechanics.  One of their solutions was "Übungspanzer auf Radfahrzeuggestell" (exercise 'armoured' vehicles on wheeled chassis) or "panzerattrappen" (dummy tanks/armoured vehcles).  Less maintenance required.  According to one source there were two types "Kampfpanzer" und ""Schützenpanzer"; there 'might' have been more variants and there 'may' have been a direct visual correlation between the exercise vehicles and the actual armoured vehs they represented.  They were built on a Unimog chassis.  Most of the references indicate thay were used in the late 50s - early 60s and one poster on another forum said he had pics of his father with such vehicles during his service in the BW 1964-1965.

So if I want to really disappoint my former German teacher, the picture you provided may be an "Übungsschützenpanzer".

I was able to find (on an official BW website) a photo of a "kampfpanzer type" with the caption "Übungspanzer der Bundeswehr auf Lkw-Fahrgestell, Ende der 50er Jahre".

I was going to reserve that photo for a future challenge, but, what the hell!.

Edited to add:

May have found an official designation:
Übungsschützenpanzer (UebSPz) mit Panzer-Attrappenaufbau HS 30
and the tank variant Übungskampfpanzer (UebKPz) mit Panzer-Attrappenaufbau M 47 

Built on a Unimog:  Lkw 1,5t gl (Bw)  -  Mercedes-Benz Typ U-404 S

Blackadder1916 said:
I was going to reserve that photo for a future challenge, but, what the hell!.

I already posted that one almost half a year ago in the "Hale's crazy little plan" Thread. ;)

Regards,
ironduke57

Finally found some views of an Übungsschützenpanzer (actually additional views of the same vehicle and some of its comrades on the same exercise).  It was also referred to as a "Panzerattrappe HS 30".

It looks like Larry is busy so I would say go on Blackadder and post something new.

Regards,
ironduke57

Back