• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National" Borders- Trouble at The Cornwall Crossing

Here is a photo of the area so people can get a better idea.

The closed border post is in the middle of Cornwall Island on the Canadian/Ontario portion.

http://www.akwesasne.ca/Map.html

Haggis said:
Again, Wes, the jurisdictional nightmare rears it's ugly head.  Those machine guns, while illegal on the "Canadian side" of Akwesasne, are quite legal on the "US side" only a short boat ride away and all within the boundaries of the Mohawk "Nation".

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Here is NY state's gun laws, and considering the US federal government is tight on full autos, softer US states even have very tight regualtions on full auto firearms also. I would guess that it is illegal in the state of NY that anyone regardless of race or creed possessing a loaded fully automatic weapon, and then prance around in one half paramilitary gear and levi's 501's is also illegal. That being said I can't find any Class III info for this state (I will investigate further).

I am fully aware of Class III licesnces and the $200 US dollar transfer tax etc, as I know several US citizens who posess legal MGs in many other states such as Montana and Arizona. That has not changed, and aside from that and the tight control that has on individuals, here is a blurb from the NY state site mentioned

National Firearms Act Firearms:

" It is a felony for any person to manufacture, transport, or dispose of a machine gun. It is a felony to buy, receive, dispose or conceal a machine gun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment. The presence in any room, dwelling, structure or vehicle of any machine gun is presumptive evidence of unlawful possession by all persons occupying the place where the machine gun is found. A machine gun is defined as any weapon from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged from a magazine with one continuous pull of the trigger and includes a submachine gun. "

I say shut 'em down.

OWDU

Wes, surely you know that the law does not apply to these people, right?  The desire to enforce is very VERY strong.  What is lacking is the political will.  Why the true nature of what is going on way up north and on some of the border reservations isn't all over the news is beyond me.  I would love to think that if Joe and Jane Canadian realized that there is an armed insurgency right in our own back yard they would want us to act.  However, given the handling of Oka, Ipperwash, Caladonia and countless acts of violence in and around the waterways and border post in Cornwall (and that is just in Ontario, I can't imagine what all foolishness ensues in the rest of the provinces), there is a desire to candy coat reality from the citizenry.  Common sense and rule of law are not a factor here. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Wes, surely you know that the law does not apply to these people, right?  The desire to enforce is very VERY strong.  What is lacking is the political will.  Why the true nature of what is going on way up north and on some of the border reservations isn't all over the news is beyond me.  I would love to think that if Joe and Jane Canadian realized that there is an armed insurgency right in our own back yard they would want us to act.  However, given the handling of Oka, Ipperwash, Caladonia and countless acts of violence in and around the waterways and border post in Cornwall (and that is just in Ontario, I can't imagine what all foolishness ensues in the rest of the provinces), there is a desire to candy coat reality from the citizenry.  Common sense and rule of law are not a factor here.

Truer words have never been spoken, also the fact that most Canadians could have a mouthful of sh.t and never say a word.

I thank God that I won't see it, but one day we're going to wake up and wonder where Canada and everything it was has gone and what ever Political Party was in along the way would not have made any difference either.

The sad thing is, that our Brave Sons & Daughter's are dying in Foreign Lands to bring Law and Order there, but we can't enforce it here.

Cheers

That being said, one should remember the problems that may be faced at the 2010 Olympics.  There are already problems, but they have been forgotten about in the MSM.  Will Canada be faced with an embarrassing situation with the blockading of several Olympic events?  We shall soon see.

FastEddy said:

I thank God that I won't see it, but one day we're going to wake up and wonder where Canada and everything it was has gone and what ever Political Party was in along the way would not have made any difference either.

Really?  See, they way it looks to me, we have already given this country away to special interests.  It's just taking a couple of generations to catch up.  I think we'll look like Britain in about 15-20 years.  We get the society we deserve.  And we currently don't deserve what we have. 

George Wallace said:
Will Canada be faced with an embarrassing situation with the blockading of several Olympic events?  We shall soon see.

Well, I guess they shouldn't have planned the Olympic events on a multitude of sacred burial grounds  ::)

George Wallace said:
That being said, one should remember the problems that may be faced at the 2010 Olympics.  There are already problems, but they have been forgotten about in the MSM.  Will Canada be faced with an embarrassing situation with the blockading of several Olympic events?  We shall soon see.

Native groups have already made it quite clear they intend to disrupt olympic events. Should be fun.

A story from the Cornwall Standard Freeholder.....

Apparently there have been some attempts to run the port of entry.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1680114&&pg=1

According to this report, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s CBC web site, is a report that indicates that the move of the CBS post to Canada, proper, is working:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/08/28/cornwall-smugglers-st-lawrence.html
Smugglers, RCMP face off on St. Lawrence

Monday, August 31, 2009
CBC News

RCMP have launched a new patrol vessel on the St. Lawrence River in an effort to outmanoeuvre smugglers moving drugs and contraband cigarettes between Canada and the U.S.

Cornwall RCMP began their patrols aboard the Simmonds, an 18-metre coast guard catamaran, in August — a time when smugglers were increasingly turning to boats and personal watercraft like Sea-Doos to transport their loads across the river, said Sgt. Michael Harvey.

The smugglers' move to the water coincided with the effective closure of the Seaway International Bridge because of a dispute between the Canadian Border Services Agency and the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory. The agency shut down its post on Cornwall Island, in the middle of the river, for the month of June after Mohawks protested a federal decision to arm border guards. In July, a temporary border post was set up at the north end of the bridge to check all vehicles coming off Cornwall Island.

"It has had a huge impact [on the smugglers] and they have to find different ways to get the product across," Harvey said. "And it's very hard for them to use the St. Lawrence River and then have vehicles waiting in isolated areas and to recruit people to move this product."

The goal of the Simmonds is to make law enforcement more visible in the area. It can also act as a mobile base for the smaller Zodiacs that police also used. The federal government has committed to having a total of four vessels like the Simmonds on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway by April 2010.

Despite the additional resources, however, the smugglers continue make things difficult for law enforcement.

On the afternoon of Aug. 25, the Simmonds dropped anchor about 20 kilometres east of Cornwall and waited in mid-channel in plain view for nightfall. The five RCMP officers aboard hoped the smugglers would use a crossing further to the west, where two smaller Zodiac boats were waiting to catch them. The night before, the crew of the Simmonds had seized nearly half a million cigarettes and a jet-ski.

The RCMP officers estimated that even one man on a personal watercraft can transport 22 kilograms or $2 million worth of ecstasy. Contraband tobacco typically heads from the U.S. to Canada, while marijuana and ecstasy are carried in the opposite direction.

From the bridge of the Simmonds, Capt. Michael Head kept an eye on the radar.

"I can identify a target on there and we can visually look for it and see what they're doing. Some of them are just playing in circles," he said. But other times they are trying to cross the channel. The radar gives an indication of their speed and direction of movement, he added.

As dusk fell, the officers spotted two black Sea-Doos, illegally without lights, drifting out from shore, operated by people dressed in black. On either shore, cars shone their headlights into the river.

One of the RCMP Zodiac boats approached the Sea-Doos. As it turned on its siren to pull them over, they revved their motors and fled, tearing past the Simmonds, one on each side, with the Zodiac in hot pursuit.

That's when the crew of the Simmonds noticed another vessel, a large, dark motorboat, poking out of the area the jet skis appeared from on the Cornwall shoreline. The personal watercraft had been decoys to lure the Zodiac away and it worked. The motorboat glided easily toward American waters where the Simmonds could not follow.

"Smart, very smart," Head said.

Crew members agreed that the smugglers probably had everything planned out.

It appears that the “closed” border is forcing the Mohawks to use boats that were previously dedicated to drug smuggling to move their contraband tobacco products.

Anything that makes life more difficult for organized crime – and Akwesasne is a base for organized crime – is a good thing.

It's good times for Law Enforcement(tongue in cheek), no shortage of crap to get into.

CBSA's enforcement stats have skyrocketed since the move to the mainland.. and the RCMP clearly are chasing day and night.

The CBSA move to the mainland is definitely having an effect!

According to a story in today's Cornwall Standard Freeholder...

- the price of a carton of contraband cigarettes has risen from $10 to $30
- the 10 factories in New York state where the contraband cigarettes are made are laying people off
- seizures are up

More at the link here

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1722377

One of the responders on the article "Buyers are key to end smuggling" said it best.

"Let's see now. An addict has the choice of paying either $15 or $90 for a weekly fix. This isn't rocket science. "

While I applaud people for quitting due to price, a good many didnt/can't.

While I was in Afghanistan  I bought American cigarettes as it was 14 dollars a carton compared to 45 for Canadian (American dollars).And while I am here in Canada I pay 30 dollars for a carton.

As well some if someone knows the brand "Putters"..the ones that come in actual packs and are wrapped have the Ontario duty paid on them.Is that legit?

Smuggling will always operate as long as their is a demand.The government is putting a prohibition on tobacco by putting it out of price ranges for people to afford.Prohibition causes the criminals to benefit.Look at rum runners.

Some real evidence, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the CBC web site, about the “value” of isolating Akwesasne:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/08/31/ottawa-contraband-cigarette-smuggling-cornwall.html
Contraband cigarette trade hit by border dispute

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CBC News

Prices for contraband cigarettes have doubled and supplies have dwindled in eastern Ontario and western Quebec since a border post at Cornwall, Ont., was moved due to a dispute with local Akwesasne Mohawks.

"The local suppliers or dealers in Cornwall or other cities like Ottawa — they're are at the bottom of the list for the product," said RCMP Sgt. Michael Harvey. "The priority is to get it to other aboriginal communities and their smoke-shacks, where they are then selling it to Montreal and larger cities."

Police said the supply and price crunch are the result of Canadian Border Services Agency's decision to temporarily move its border post from Cornwall Island to the north side of the Seaway International Bridge — further away from the border.

Cornwall Island is located completely in Canada, but is part of the Akwesasne Mohawk Territory that straddles the Canada-U.S. border as well as the Quebec-Ontario boundary. RCMP estimated in 2008 that 90 per cent of illegal cigarettes sold in Canada come from Akwesasne, and cigarette smuggling costs the federal government as much as $2 billion in lost tax revenue per year.

Since the border-post move, anyone heading north from Cornwall island must stop at the border post, whether they ever left Canada or not. That has made things more difficult for smugglers, who increasingly must rely on more difficult water routes for the transportation of the cigarettes, Harvey said.

Contraband still cheaper

In Hawksbury, Ont., customers such as Josée, who wouldn't give her last name, said finding native-brand cigarettes has become much harder. She said shops tell her to call back in a few days or a week. Josée added that she has been smoking native brands for five years and plans to buy them again when they are available, as they are cheaper than the legal variety, even after the recent price increase.

The Cornwall Island border crossing was shut down in June after Mohawks set up a camp there to protest a new federal policy of arming border guards with 9-mm handguns, saying the weapons violated their sovereignty and increased the likelihood of violent confrontations. The temporary border post was set up a month later.

Isn’t sovereignty wonderful?

Hmmmm....maybe they should have done this years ago....

GAP said:
Hmmmm....maybe they should have done this years ago....

How about striking the Indian Act from the books years ago and treating them as regular citizens?  The current arrangement is a goat rodeo. 

X-mo-1979 said:
As well some if someone knows the brand "Putters"..the ones that come in actual packs and are wrapped have the Ontario duty paid on them.Is that legit?
Putter's, along with Sago, Golden Leaf and DK, are all brands manufactured by Grand River Enterprises at Six Nations for sale on Canadian reserves.  The office I work in is on a reserve, and all the gas stations/convenience stores on reserve sell these brands - and since the reserve is adjacent to the city, LOTS of folks come and buy them because, even with taxes all paid, they're cheaper than the regular brands.

Apparently Akwesasne natives have some complaints for U.S. Customs as well....

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1729316

And to think that it's all because some members of the band got all snarky because CBSA personnel were going to carry side arms. Can you saw Law of Unexpected Consequences?

Back