• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment (NICE) Project

Good Day

Could someone post the Regs for the new Rain Gear?

I do not have DWAN access.

Thank You

They may depend on where you are....can you narrow that down some?  Base/Wing dress regs vary somewhat.

Blatch said:
Good Day

Could someone post the Regs for the new Rain Gear?

I do not have DWAN access.

Thank You

What is the regulations here in Halifax is that they are only to be worn in inclement weather,  or when such weather is expected,  not shipboard dress unless manning the brow, and is walking out dress only.  The proper nametag (new style), Cdn flag and rank slip on is to be worn with jacket.  I'll pm you what  we're subject to on Monday if you like.  Of course, as previously mentioned by other's, it might be different where you are.

I am in Halifax, I received via PM the BCPOs message from Feb. If there is anyother information out there I'll take it as well that would be great.

I pass it along to my fellow CIC Officers without DWAN access.

Thank You

While this probably isn't a NICE item, the topic seemed close enough not to start a new thread:  I've heard that a new style of peak cap  - closer to RN design - may be issued to RCN personnel.  I was just wondering if anyone had any information on this, just for curiosity's sake.  Thanks.

Yes, I read something about it around 6+ months ago.  What will change as I understand is the beret will no longer be acceptable headgear in salt and peppers.  As the new type of peak cap will be so much more comfortable, there'll be no reason to not wear it.  One of the major changes is the hat will actually be molded to fit a human head (oval) vs a telephone pole as is at present.  It will also be lighter in weight etc. 

Halifax Tar said:
I thought I read that its supposed to be the same as the RN hats...

Yes very similar.  The RN headgear have all the attributes I mentioned above.

Privateer said:
For all ranks?
As I was given to understand, applies to everyone. 

The beret will only survive for such things as Combats and NCD.  Bummer for guys like me as I hate the peak cap and only wear it when I must.

Good Day

I have heard of the new style peak cap for all ranks as well though thought it hasn't been confirmed. From what I understand it had received approval and was at the stage where a cost analysis was going to be done to see if it is a viable option. With the new RN Style cap as mentioned before Berets will no longer be authorized for wear in No. 3 orders of dress, The gold braid will be removed for A/Slt to Lt(N), It should be easier to pack and much more comfortable to wear. I also believe that the bowler style will change as well.

Why keep the bowler at all?  Why not have all sailors wear the same headdress regardless of gender?

dapaterson said:
Why keep the bowler at all?  Why not have all sailors wear the same headdress regardless of gender?

Good question. I don't know enough of about the history of hats, although I have spent almost my entire life wearing them.

And this isn't historically a Navy thing, as the Air Force and Army used to wear service cap/bowler cap, and so did the entire CF during the tri-service dress days. Why did the Canadian Forces adopt the bowler as a "ladies" hat? There doesn't seem anything traditionally feminine about the bowler, it was traditionally a men's hat (see "A Clockwork Orange"). What did female personnel wear as headdress in the pre-unification days?

Ostrozac said:
What did female personnel wear as headdress in the pre-unification days?

Essentially a Bowler for officers and a different version of the White top see the attached Images.

Back