• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment (NICE) Project

CTS, to my knowledge, had trials with the kit that was being looked at IIRC.  Was *any* of the NICE kit trialed at all?  Deployments to the Gulf, NATO, anything?  Has anyone actually trialed the kit?  Surely they aren't just going window-shopping and picking out kit like Christmas presents on Christmas Eve...fast and furious.

There is little info provided on the IntraNet sight, so I am hoping some sailors and Officers in the Navy can chime in here.

Oh god... I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Why does the CF have hard ons for kit that are constantly the opposite of what the members need? I mean the FRACK vest looking thing, wooot it's MOLLE... but BAH! Again! It's that ugly Tac Vest design! WTF?!

MedTech said:
Oh god... I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Why does the CF have hard ons for kit that are constantly the opposite of what the members need? I mean the FRACK vest looking thing, wooot it's MOLLE... but BAH! Again! It's that ugly Tac Vest design! WTF?!

Is there a better word than ugly? Ugly suggests you are rating it by its looks (a fashion statement) rather than judging it on what you see as the shortcomings of the TV design, which it got as a hand-me-down from Big Brother CTS...just a thought.

NICE eh?

I wonder who many millions are spent for 'catchy' accronyms.

Good bloody gawd  ::)

OWDU

As the NICE project doesn't have an Internet site yet, here are the contents of the IntraNet site for those without access, along with the some pics/links not already posted by CDN Aviator:

Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment (NICE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the NICE web site. Here you will find the latest information about project deliverables, timeframes and priorities as well as the rationale behind the project.

Project goal
To provide state-of-the-art operational clothing and equipment to Naval personnel to promote interoperability and permit the conduct of joint and combined operations around the world.

General Information
Canadian governmental policy directs that the Canadian Forces (CF) participate in multilateral peace and stability operations anywhere in the world, and maintain multi-purpose combat-capable forces with a high degree of interoperability with our allies. This requires a modern task-tailored, globally deployable force that can respond quickly in joint or combined operations. Naval personnel must have appropriate clothing and equipment to carry out this demanding mandate. The Navy created the NICE project to address its own operational clothing requirements following the Army’s example of the Clothe The Soldier (CTS) project.

Previous operations have illustrated shortcomings in Naval clothing and equipment. The NICE project will address these issues, and will negate the recent practice of uncontrolled locally purchased clothing items. The items acquired under NICE will take advantage of technological improvements in material performance and clothing design since existing NAVAL garments were procured. These improved features include but are not limited to fire retardancy (FR), electro-static dissipation (ESD), moisture vapour permeability (MVP), and more effective insulation properties.

Items & Clothing
Here you will find a description of the items being acquired through the NICE project:

1.  2-in-1 Rain suit/wind breaker – Waterproof, static dissipative suit (2 pc) navy blue / black in color for wear as a walking out dress in hot weather and during cool, low relative humidity conditions. It will have thermal dissipative characteristics to be wearable from +10 to +25C. This item is expected to proceed directly to implementation. (no pic, but will likely be modified from the CCR).  I have seen one of the jackets, it is like the CCR but black, uses the NCD rank slip-on.)

2.  Boots – Hot Weather – Non-insulated - (wearable to + 40C) safety boots (CSA Z195 Grade 1 Toe) with static dissipative or insulative penetration, POL resistant non-slip soles. A waterproof, Moisture Vapour Permeable (MVP) capability, either integral or as an issue sock is necessary.

3.  Environmental Clothing – It will be worn as field operational clothing in place of the current naval combat clothing. It will be the same as or similar to the Integrated Clothing Ensemble (ICE) currently being fielded by DSSPM. Suitable for Port Security and Base Defence Force duties as well as field clothing for Training Establishments CFFSE and CFNOS (anti-static, POL phobic). (no pic)

4.  Boots – Temperate Weather - Insulated (wearable to –25C) safety boots (CSA Z195 Grade 1 Toe) with static dissipative or insulative penetration, POL resistant non-slip soles. A waterproof, Moisture Vapour Permeable (MVP) capability, either integral or as an issue sock is necessary

5.  Coveralls Hot Weather - Tan colour, lightweight (5.5 oz Nomex), fire retardant, anti-static one-piece coverall (MOTS). This item, currently in the naval inventory is required for additional issue to submariners and clearance divers. (no pic)

6.  Coveralls Temperate Weather – Navy blue in colour (7.5 oz Nomex), fire retardant, anti-static one piece coverall (MOTS). This item, currently in the naval inventory is required for additional issue to submariners and clearance divers. (no pic)

7.  Socks – This foot covering will incorporate the new wicking properties (e.g.: Cool Max) to ensure maximum anti-blister capability. (includes 3 layer sock system & hot weather sock)

8.  Thermal Underwear– The NICE issue of 5 shirts and 5 drawers to all naval personnel. (no pic)

9.  Gloves Cold/Wet Weather – These gloves will be as per Clothe The Soldier combat gloves one (1) pair. (pic/info here)

10.  Ballistic Eyewear – Ballistic Eyewear is required for universal issue to naval personnel including reserves, for protection from UV rays in both summer and winter. The lenses must be shatterproof and the frame compatible for wear with headsets, helmets and ear defenders.

11.  Ballistic Vest – Ballistic protection is required for ships' bridge personnel, Force Protection Teams, Naval Boarding Party and Port Security personnel. It is anticipated that this item can proceed directly to implementation. (no pic)

12.  Anti-flash Hoods & Gloves – Protection is required for ships' personnel during action/emergency stations in the event of flash or fire resulting from incoming ordinance or domestic fire. NICE project will explore market improvements in FR materials. There will be no design change to the current hood and glove. (no pic)

13.  Hot Weather Hat – This headwear will be as per the CTS wide brimmed combat hat, except in Navy blue or natural in colour. Issue of this hat would be limited to personnel deploying on “Hot Weather” operations only. It is anticipated that this item can proceed directly to implementation.

14.  Liner (removable) Navy Winter Parka - The current Navy Winter Parka is acceptable for wear in temperatures of +15C to -10C. Naval personnel are subjected to extreme cold temperatures dipping to -40C. A removable liner would compliment the Navy Winter Parka and keep personnel comfortable in extreme cold temperatures. (no pic)

15.  Utility Vest - Members on board ships need to be able to work in austere conditions during emergencies and the actual carrier (warbag) is not ergonomically suitable for all tasks. The new vest will provide comfort and be customizable to each member.

16.  Drawers, Temperate Underwear (Unisex) – To provide the standard issue of 5 pairs. (info/pic here)

17.  “T” Shirts, Cotton, crewneck – To provide the standard issue of 5 shirts each. 

Comments
Your comments, suggestions and ideas for additions or improvements to NICE purposed items of kit are greatly appreciated. Our goal is to provide you, the naval community, with the best possible solutions to your operational kit needs by the most economical means. To best do this we need to know what you, the end users, require.

Let us know what you think, your opinion matters.

Email your comments to:  (email is on the website, I don't want to post here)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pic's not provided by CDN Aviator, or in the links above, are attached below.

woah woah woah... the navy.......... the navy gets a molle tac vest........ and the army... doesn't.... :-X There are some sick sick men at NDHQ.

Awesome - one thing I noticed; the US Navy looks alot better than us with our dumpy Navy Uniforms; these don't look much better.

"3.  Environmental Clothing – It will be worn as field operational clothing in place of the current naval combat clothing. It will be the same as or similar to the Integrated Clothing Ensemble (ICE) currently being fielded by DSSPM. Suitable for Port Security and Base Defence Force duties as well as field clothing for Training Establishments CFFSE and CFNOS (anti-static, POL phobic)."

This reads a bit ambiguously:  does it mean that this new rig will replace NCDs in all cases, or only ashore?

N. McKay said:
"3.  Environmental Clothing – It will be worn as field operational clothing in place of the current naval combat clothing. It will be the same as or similar to the Integrated Clothing Ensemble (ICE) currently being fielded by DSSPM. Suitable for Port Security and Base Defence Force duties as well as field clothing for Training Establishments CFFSE and CFNOS (anti-static, POL phobic)."

This reads a bit ambiguously:  does it mean that this new rig will replace NCDs in all cases, or only ashore?

I have no idea...but I can PM you the contact #s on the IntraNet site at work Monday if you want (there is a Lt. Cmdr and CP02 listed).

In the event that you or others are not familiar , here is info on the Integrated Clothing Ensemble (ICE) from the Army CTS ICE website and the Air Force CEMS ICE website.

R031button said:
woah woah woah... the navy.......... the navy gets a molle tac vest........ and the army... doesn't.... :-X There are some sick sick men at NDHQ.

Indications I got from the MWO that was down here for the sizing of the rucks said that the "new tacvest" will have molle on it, also the combats will be modified too to add pockets to the sleeves.

N. McKay said:

Basically it will be cadpat that the Navy will wear if they are out in the field.

It was a bit of a clown show here last year because for years the Navy would wear the olive drab combats when we would go into the field (Heals Range, Bentinck Island, etc). Last few years though the old combats started to look pretty shabby and there was no replacement for them. So when we started to ask for cadpat we were told that they were for Army (and later Air Force ) pers only and since the Navy did not put up money for CADPAT there was no way in hell that the Navy would wear them. So all sorts of email traffic, SOCDs and begging and pleading went on and as a result this part of the NICE project came together.

Meanwhile back at D211, the old combat clothing bin was cleaned out and the next thing we know, clothing stores is handing out CADPAT to Navy pers at CFFSE with not a word of protest from higher authority. Funny how things work out if you leave it alione.

I am aware that this is an old form, however I have still not seen a picture of the new NCD's people are talking about and was wondering if anyone may be able to post a picture on here.

Thanks

As someone very interested in this, i'm bumping this, the day we get rid of the NCD's isn't soon enough.

Personally I would love to wear CADPAT, simply because, its already in the system, so no extra cost, its comfy, can take a beating and get dirty.

I know some people will come here shouting blasphemy that we need our square rig back and blah blah blah, and how camo on a ship is stupid.

Well Marines wear their camo on ships all the time, you calling of them stupid??
Like I said already in our system so it would totally simplify everything, and get rid of this "unwieldy" uniform.

I would say 98% of sailors dislike the NCD's, now thats not to say a distinctive naval ops uniform isn't what some would like, its just considering our budget...i'd rather spend our money on more important things, and instead just drop the NCD's and get CADPAT for everyone.

BUT, to satisfy all those people who want a special navy combat uniform, here are some suggestions.

This would be a GREAT idea in my opinion letting everyone know, here's a sailor, but also, i'm here to work. sharp looking, and easily identifiable as military, plus we know it exists...and could probably get it for a good price from the US.

http://www.uscg.mil/hr/udc/docs/odu08-update-2008-09-29-web/odu08-update-2008-09-29-web/longsleeve/images/_USCG103-FS-1home.gif

here's another one, and if you take the time to read ALL the text under the pic, it explains the choice, and one thing mentioned that I feel is worth while re-iterating, is that the camo combo, makes stains a lot less noticeable, everyone's worn cadpat we all know its true.
http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/military_photos_200410230.aspx

"They’re not designed to camouflage sailors into the background of a ship. They are supposed to be more practical, helping hide dirt, paint and grease spots better than solid-color utilities or coveralls."  taken from another site explaining some more the choice of uniform.

Look up ODU and NWU.

Or you could go with something similar to the police's tactical pants, a quasi cargo pant, if you wanted to stay away from the bloused pants, maybe have a built in permanent crease for all you crease lovers.

And for god's sake no tucked in shirt...tucked in undershirt sure....but otherwise no

Biggoals2bdone said:
And for god's sake no tucked in shirt...

???

I would have figured that a loose shirt flopping in the breeze would catch on too many items aboard ship.  I guess we want to go with the "Hairy Bag Look" then in your books?

Things would get ripped off constantly. Also when there was a fire that nice cadpat material would melt right into your skin. So excellent idea, well thought out, make the sailors look like soldiers. That will be great for morale too. ::)

Also the trial NCD pants have a sewn in crease. Plus they are cargo pants.

Go with that USCG uniform (top mostly worn tucked in from what I've seen), make it out of the right material. Shouldn't be complicated to produce.

While new cargo pockets on the NCD trou are a step in the right direction, the fact remains that NCDs look sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Are they getting rid of the pleats on the new NCD pants? The pleats look ridiculous.

I can't remember if the pleats are gone or not. I would prefer coveralls for the ship and some kind of undress uniform for working

CADPAT looks sloppy as well.... what's your point.

I remember a time when we wore that green texaco workdress... a lot of people would steam press glue into the crease in order to have a "permanent" one.  Stitching the crease is just taking the glue trick to the next level.

Biggoals2bdone said:
I would say 98% of sailors dislike the NCD's...

I would say BS.

[Edit to add a "]" in the quote (code).]

Back