• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army.ca Game (HEADLINES)

Crispy, you're in Kingston!

We don't have to speak here about it, if you're using the email address in my profile :)

Shoo, shoo, there is noting to see here, ArmyVern :) ...

Yrys said:
I know the date, I post in that thread when it was open :).

(Speaking of which, how do you know you're related to Mr. Edward Wightman ? Oral history, family tree ?  )

Oh oh, don't like having to interact with a miniyou  :D ?

Oh, I'm related to quite a few people with interesting stories. When my dad died last month, I swiped the CD onto which he had been tracking the family tree ... birth records, death records, census tracking from Britain, Ireleand, Scotland, Wales -- it's all there and I find it quite interesting.

No wonder I turned out as I did: a witch; an olympian tennis player, a heretic, quite a few authors, shitloads of "Ralphs", an olympian bobsledder, the founder of the Baptist Church, more than a few mayors, overseers of the "Ships Railway" (an ultimate failure -- but remants of such reamin on our cottage property to this day -- and are quite interesting to observe in the historical context), an axe murderer, big lumber relatives in NB, farmers, housewives, preachers, doctors, a geologist who disapperead mysteriously in the Arctic never to be seen or heard from again (although a body was shipped home to Niagra Falls that was not his), PPCLI guys and RCR guys, I can count Abraham Lincoln and Benedict Arnold as distsant cousins, as well as Providence (RI) founder Roger Williams, RCOC and Logistics, Hollywood script writers and a producer, a Berkely Film School prof, a grandmother killed with the German torpedoing of the Cariboo en route to Newfoundland to visit my grandfather (who was then stationed at Signal Hill) during WWII -- the grandfather who managed, during the liberation of Holland aftermath, to meet his current wife after she and the other fine gals did their little stage dancing routine, picking her up, proposing, and getting married in Amsterdam a mere one week later (in a lovely little church along the canal that I had occasion to visit and where the minister pulled out the old registers for me to peer through and snap a pic of the page containing their names and marriage logs), an uncle lost in the muds of Passchendaele -- never to be recovered. A great grandfather, an Officer, who was both a friend to and overseer of Leon Trotsky during his internment at Amherst Internment Camp (NS) in 1918 and whose interviews of Trotsky and later letters between the two are archived at Dalhousie University archives and Mount Allison. And many many others. What's written on those CDs in relation to my own antics is rather tame (although my dad had an awesome sense of humour -- he tried desperately to make me look angellic within that tree). There is no mention of where my red hair came from -- I seem to be the only one for generations -- somewhere, along the line, I highly suspect that a milkman's name was left out of the picture.

It goes on. It's an interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes scary read. Especially the bits about the double axe murderer (his own kids). Seeing as how my daughter gets a little bit of all of the above PLUS some of me -- she'll turn out OK, I think.

And, regarding Edward Wightman ... his house still stands and is still in Wightman hands after these many years. There's also a plaque in the town square which commemorates his burning. Lovely that.

http://monkeymindonline.blogspot.com/2008/04/edward-wightman-burned-at-stake.html

ArmyVern said:
shitloads of "Ralphs"

Pray tell, what is that ?

You make me wish that I want went with more energy after the genealogy tree one of my maternal aunt had made at a genealogist firm ...

Yrys said:
Pray tell, what is that ?

You make me wish I want with more energy after the genealogy tree one of my maternal aunt had made at a genealogist firm ...

"Ralph" is a name. A man's name. Seems to permeate the tree throughout the generations. Either as the first name, the second name, or the third name. I'm not so sure that one could fit all of the "Ralph Wightmans" into a soccer stadium at one time.  :-\

ArmyVern said:
"Ralph" is a name. A man's name. Seems to permeate the tree throughout the generations. Either as the first name, the second name, or the third name. I'm not so sure that one could fit all of the "Ralph Wightmans" into a soccer stadium at one time.  :-\

I've got a friend (born in Chile) where the paternal family traditional name is Ernesto. His father and quite a few cousins are "Ernesto".
Here in Québec, girls have usually "Marie" in their(?s) names, and boys "Joseph".

Yrys said:
Here in Québec, girls have usually "Marie" in their(?s) names, and boys "Joseph".

Where does that come from?? The first of the family tree? What are you inferring?  >:D

ArmyVern said:
The first of the family tree? What are you inferring?  >:D

Nope. It's a Catholic tradition, for the mother and (mmmm) father-in-law of Jésus. I don't know if others Christian denominations have that tradition.
I never thought to ask people that.

Yrys said:
Nope. It's a Catholic tradition, for the mother and (mmmm) father-in-law of Jésus. I don't know if others Christian denominations have that tradition.
I never thought to ask people that.

Must be a French thing. I know Italians name their children after the paternal grandfather, and their middle name after the feast of the saint closest to their birthday. When the next generation comes in, their first name becomes the middle name of the grandfather.

eg. my father Giovanni Piero 
    My name  Giorgio Stefano
    My first born's name : Piero (insert saint's name)
    My first born's first born's name: Stefano (insert saint's name)

and so on and so on.....

rmc_wannabe said:
Must be a French thing.

I would say French Catholic Québécois thing, in "vigueur" within all the French Catholic Québécois that I spoke to about it
(not sure if it's a proper English sentence).

add :
I wasn't enough specific, sorry.

rmc_wannabe said:
Must be a French thing. I know Italians name their children after the paternal grandfather, and their middle name after the feast of the saint closest to their birthday. When the next generation comes in, their first name becomes the middle name of the grandfather.

eg. my father Giovanni Piero 
    My name  Giorgio Stefano
    My first born's name : Piero (insert saint's name)
    My first born's first born's name: Stefano (insert saint's name)

So every guy got a saint name, if I understand correctly ? Any tradition for the girls ?

Most Italian names have a female deminuative.

I.e.

Stefano = Stefani
Giavanni = Giavana (joanna)
Mario = Maria
Martino= Martina

etc.

so depending on the timeline in birth a girl can be named after her grandfather if she's the first born... just with the female version of the name.

rmc_wannabe said:
so depending on the timeline in birth a girl can be named after her grandfather if she's the first born... just with the female version of the name.

Paternal or maternal grand-father ?

Yrys said:
Paternal or maternal grand-father ?

Theres a whole set of regulations on that too. Depends if the paternal is still alive, if not, its the maternal one. If the paternal is alive she takes his name.

:rofl:

Crap. Apparently I am also related to "Princess Cheyenne" (stage name), an apparently famous exotic dancer stripper from Boston's Red Light District. Apparently she also posed in Playboy magazine as "Lucy Johnson". LMAO. I'm going to google her -- perhaps SHE is the missing redhead.

That may explain a few things in and of itself too.  >:D

ArmyVern said:

If you're saying that your love of chaps might be genetically inherited, you may want to consider
asking a few questions to your daughter, later in life :).

ArmyVern said:
:rofl:

Crap. Apparently I am also related to "Princess Cheyenne" (stage name), an apparently famous exotic dancer stripper from Boston's Red Light District. Apparently she also posed in Playboy magazine as "Lucy Johnson". LMAO. I'm going to google her -- perhaps SHE is the missing redhead.

Nope looks like she was a blond

http://www.lucywightman.com/lucy-wightman-photos/

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/01/22/exposed/

1137691600_0020.jpg

Lucy Wightman (left) performed as Princess Cheyenne (right) in the 1980s, then transformed herself into what she saw as a younger, sexier version of Dr. Ruth. (Photos / Tanit Sakakini (left), Carrie Branigan)

ay carrumba,

What great genes you have vern!

dileas

tess

ArmyVern said:
Oh yeah -- we're related. Did you scroll down to the very bottom of that page?? Note the high heels (disregard the ankle monitor) !!  ;D

Mmm ...

"They Multiply. They Move. Especially on Visitation Nights."

:)

add :

Legs might be on the genetic side...

OK. I just ordered the back issue of Playboy from 1986 ... (eerily the year I graduated)

Sally Fields on the cover.  ;D  Hopefully, I'll be able to find the bunny on it!!  ;)

Playboy March 86

Back