• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army Dress regulations unveiled

MCG said:
In another vein of this, I have noted a lot of units now moving rank insignia from centre of chest to the Velcro arm patch while wearing fighting order ... right back to where it was before Velcro on the previous olive combats.

I hear Ottawa will not pursue this $0 solution but will instead develop upgrades to armour and tacvests so that these will have new locations to attach Velcro rank somewhere in the front of one’s torso.

Clearly, we need Health Services to begin surgically implanting velcro into the foreheads of all people who wear an Army DEU to they can stick their rank there and have it visible, regardless of the uniform being worn.

MCG said:
In another vein of this, I have noted a lot of units now moving rank insignia from centre of chest to the Velcro arm patch while wearing fighting order ... right back to where it was before Velcro on the previous olive combats.

I hear Ottawa will not pursue this $0 solution but will instead develop upgrades to armour and tacvests so that these will have new locations to attach Velcro rank somewhere in the front of one’s torso.

Maybe they should upgrade the ICE and wet weather jackets first so that we can utilize one rank identifier, not two. Then we could eliminate troops wandering around with no rank on their outerwear because the RQ is short of the old slip-on style but has plenty of Velcro ones...

New life business plan.

Start up a small drop-ship company, based in my den.  Await an announcement for bidding for the never ending supply of patches & badges from the Government of Canada, valued at $750,000.

Drop-ship patches & badges to said customer.  Keep profit.  Retire without financial worry.

This is a lesson for all of us that we're all in the wrong line of work, more than anything  :cheers: :prancing:

Ok then 

to setup dropship company:

Legals - $5,000.00

Gov certs $150,000.0+++

Ottawa based "consultant" to navigate PWGSC $250,000.00

Bid response $25,000.00+

Travel entertainment $15,000.00

Misc  $25,000.00

OK lets round it to $450,000.00 to get ready to bid...I am being very light on these figures.

Haggis said:
Before I stick up any of my 4 decades worth of qualification badges (some of which are obsolete but still pretty cool)... I need a new shirt.

But, seriously.  I have one faded but serviceable and two "good condition" old style shirts without all the new Velcro.  So do a lot of other people.  As with a  lot of other people, my clothing stores will not exchange my old pattern shirts for new pattern shirts because they still have some wear in them and the new shirts are in short supply in my size.  Perhaps spending $750K on more shirts should have come before new patches that many people cannot currently wear.

Haggis said:
But, seriously.  I have one faded but serviceable and two "good condition" old style shirts without all the new Velcro.  So do a lot of other people.  As with a  lot of other people, my clothing stores will not exchange my old patter shirts for new pattern shirts because they still have some wear in them and the new shirts are in short supply in my size.  Perhaps spending $750K on more shirts should have come before new patches that many people cannot currently wear.

I'm jealously protecting my old style shirts precisely so that I don't have to participate in the 'patchy one upmanship' game :)

Haggis said:
But, seriously.  I have one faded but serviceable and two "good condition" old style shirts without all the new Velcro.  So do a lot of other people.  As with a  lot of other people, my clothing stores will not exchange my old patter shirts for new pattern shirts because they still have some wear in them and the new shirts are in short supply in my size.  Perhaps spending $750K on more shirts should have come before new patches that many people cannot currently wear.

Maybe if all those folks in Ottawa wandering about their air conditioned office towers would return their CADPAT uniforms there would be more than enough for the folks who actually need them.

Yay.  Another "squirrel" to distract away from the larger failings of our procurement system. 

Can't deliver vehicles on time. 
Can't buy (new) fighters. 
Can't buy (good) boots.   
Etc. Etc.

But hey, here are some nifty velcro garrison badges.  See! The system works.

But then again, I have been accused of being overly cynical at times....

CXepM1OWkAAucIG.jpg

I'll make sure to hang onto my slip-on style, velcroless, combat top until the thing is see-through.

On another note, who in their right mind does any sort of PT with boots? Sounds like a VAC claim waiting to happen.

Quirky said:
On another note, who in their right mind does any sort of PT with boots? Sounds like a VAC claim waiting to happen.

People that do rucksack marches

FSTO said:
Maybe if all those folks in Ottawa wandering about their air conditioned office towers would return their CADPAT uniforms there would be more than enough for the folks who actually need them.

Same for aircrew.  We don't wear CADPAT but have 4 sets of pristine ones.  I'm shocked that we weren't told to return them along with rucks and sleeping bags.

CanadianTire said:
Maybe they should upgrade the ICE and wet weather jackets first so that we can utilize one rank identifier, not two. Then we could eliminate troops wandering around with no rank on their outerwear because the RQ is short of the old slip-on style but has plenty of Velcro ones...

Even simpler solution: 

- Find a slip-on and sew velcro (the fuzzy part) to the front. 
- Stick the velcro ranks to slip-on.
- ???
- Profit

Spectrum said:
Then wear combats.

(awaiting Iron Man/Mountain Man rebuttal from someone on here)

Meh, either way is fine, usually carrying weapons = combat and leisurely stroll with pack is PT top. 

I go to the gym at lunch in combats and often throw on a PT shirt so I don't sweat in my t shirt I will be wearing for the rest of the day.  So glad they made it an official dress so I don't get jacked up.  /s

Quirky said:

To quote a British PTI, "Well, what are you going to do when you actually get in combat, switch into Nike shoes?"

I try and do PT in combat boots once a week.  This includes putting the ruck on and shuffling/tabbing out a "Truscott Trot."

Quirky said:

Really? Awesome... I've got a few thousand miles of that kind of PT to claim then :)

PuckChaser said:
$750,000 buys about 12 top end manpack radios or likely only 2 trucks.

Patches were probably easier to push through the PSPC procurement labyrinth.

Imagine what the cost would be if they elected to get LOW-VISIBILITY brigade patches for CADPAT like the Americans do it.

How much would THAT cost?

Max Power said:
Yay.  Another "squirrel" to distract away from the larger failings of our procurement system. 

Can't deliver vehicles on time. 
Can't buy (new) fighters. 
Can't buy (good) boots.   
Etc. Etc.

But hey, here are some nifty velcro garrison badges that you'll have to buy from CANEX.  See! The system works.

But then again, I have been accused of being overly cynical at times....

Fred Herriot said:
Imagine what the cost would be if they elected to get LOW-VISIBILITY brigade patches for CADPAT like the Americans do it.

How much would THAT cost?

Well really both badges should exist in both forms. We need a high vis for Garrison and a low vis for field work;).

runormal said:
Well really both badges should exist in both forms. We need a high vis for Garrison and a low vis for field work;).

And coordinated changing of low-to-high vis patches upon returning from the field!  A "change parade", even!

:rofl:

Back