• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

Perhaps a Canadianized (arctic conditions) version of the CB90 might work.  Fully loaded  weight is about 20 tons so the crane could handle them.

Bearpaw

Chris Pook said:
The need to stay dry in the north -  does that mean that the RCN is considering boats more along these lines?

LCP-1-089.jpg

SAR2_400px.jpg

I understand that some experience was had with them when one of the Danish Rasmussens was incorporated on an Operation Nanook exercise.

Yes I was on that exercise

HS28-2014-0003--356_zps5f3b069f.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--351_zps6e504d17.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--345_zpsb2c809c6.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--343_zps8c70d980.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--342_zps9d0fc6d2.jpg

IMG_2979_zps3d8d75f8.jpg

IMG_2920_zpsb6af371e.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--341_zpsda398ad3.jpg

12SEPKNUD5_zps5a11ae1b.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--333_zps595beee3.jpg

HS28-2014-0003--332_zps2e324c78.jpg

IMG_00000830_zpsd41c50f8.jpg

HS28-2014-0003-283_zps431a6797.jpg

Excellent photographs Chief.  Thanks for posting them.

Did you develop an opinion on the SAR boats?  I seem to recall you being complimentary about the Rasmussen and its crew.

Bearpaw said:
Perhaps a Canadianized (arctic conditions) version of the CB90 might work.  Fully loaded  weight is about 20 tons so the crane could handle them.

Bearpaw

The only new boats are being built for the AOPS in NS, basically a big Rhib.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2017/03/13/356446-irving-shipbuilding-selects-rosborough-boats-to-supply-multi-role-rescue.html

Chris Pook said:
Excellent photographs Chief.  Thanks for posting them.

Did you develop an opinion on the SAR boats?  I seem to recall you being complimentary about the Rasmussen and its crew.

Nice ships, very professional crew. The machinery plant is very automated.

Chief Stoker said:
The only new boats are being built for the AOPS in NS, basically a big Rhib.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2017/03/13/356446-irving-shipbuilding-selects-rosborough-boats-to-supply-multi-role-rescue.html

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/rhib/ is the boat the article is talking about.

Davie launches with both barrels at Irving: "If Irving Shipbuilding can build ships so cheaply then why are their ‘Arctic’ Offshore Patrol Ships costing taxpayers multiples of what all other countries have built the same ship for?"

http://www.canadiandefencereview.com/news?news%2F2278

dapaterson said:
Davie launches with both barrels at Irving: "If Irving Shipbuilding can build ships so cheaply then why are their ‘Arctic’ Offshore Patrol Ships costing taxpayers multiples of what all other countries have built the same ship for?"

http://www.canadiandefencereview.com/news?news%2F2278

I read that today and thought, "Screw you Irving!!"

BOOM!!  Well written & the timing could not be more perfect!  Stay down, b**ch!

Hope this letter gets published in some major media outlets...*hint hint* at potential journalists that may comb this site every now & again. 

FSTO said:
I read that today and thought, "Screw you Irving!!"
That was a big middle finger to Irving and i love it!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I notice that he fails to mention that Davie is years behind and millions over budget on a couple of car ferries for the Quebec Gov.

I wonder how much of that was the old management, prior to the restructuring, compared to the newer management.  But, valid point.

STONEY said:
I notice that he fails to mention that Davie is years behind and millions over budget on a couple of car ferries for the Quebec Gov.

In the same vein, Irving fails to mention the late delivery, cost over-runs and massive clean-ups that FMF Cape Scott has had to do on every one of their refits.

STONEY said:

That's true, but it seems to me that there are faults on both side here.

One retired senior manager of the STQ (Quebec Ferry Corporation - the client) indicated in fairly recent open letter to Le Soleil (Quebec city's main newspaper)that there were fault on both sides. The STQ misjudged what is involved and costs to build ferries running on natural gas and Davie also misjudged what is involved in building such ships. The solution is probably for both sides to give some, but until that is resolved at the contractual level, the ferries are not getting any work done on them. The delay is contractually caused, not a result of construction delays.

This is not exclusive to Davie. One of the STQ other recent ferry acquisition just predating the two being built at Davie was actually built in Europe (Fincantieri, if memory serves). Yet the F.A. Gauthier has had more than two hundred deficiencies discovered in the first year of use and it cost more than a million dollars just to remedy most of them. Natural gas run ferries are just new and it takes some time to develop the slightly different approach needed to build them.

While it does not excuse Davie, I can't help but wonder if Irving would have been half as reasonable in the resolution of such problem as Davie appears to be (one of the reason we don't hear too much about this is the rather businesslike and prosaic approach of Davie on this: When asked, they simply state that this is a contract dispute in the process of being resolved in collaboration with the client. No venting or attempts at leveraging politics or disparaging the client by calling it the source of all problems, etc.). As of today, the delays are about a year and half - most of which has simply seen no work (stop order) - and the price dispute is over a cost overrun of about 18%. We are nowhere near the triple to five time costs range of Irving.

Chief Stoker,

Thanks for the nice photos!

The reason I threw out the CB90 idea is that the SAR boat in your photos looks like a non-military version of the CB90. 

Bearpaw

jollyjacktar said:
Not that I have heard.  The only new, small boats coming  I'm aware of are for the MTOG folks.  I haven't seen what they look like as this endeavour is in a sister section at work but your suggestions, Chris, don't appear to be  what would be suitable for boarding parties.

Chris, a correction.  I was at a work related breakfast today and the three new small boats recently acquired came up.  I was mistaken in believing they were for the MTOG folks, they're not.  They're for Force Protection (FP) use.  The NAVRES are dipping their toes into that pool once more and the boats that were recently acquired were used Defender class boats from the USCG.  As FP boats I think they're ideal and much better than what was purchased following 9/11 and the previous incantation of the NAVRES doing FP duties or what I used as an MP back when.

jollyjacktar said:
Chris, a correction.  I was at a work related breakfast today and the three new small boats recently acquired came up.  I was mistaken in believing they were for the MTOG folks, they're not.  They're for Force Protection (FP) use.  The NAVRES are dipping their toes into that pool once more and the boats that were recently acquired were used Defender class boats from the USCG.  As FP boats I think they're ideal and much better than what was purchased following 9/11 and the previous incantation of the NAVRES doing FP duties or what I used as an MP back when.

DAisMJzW0AAnJJn_zpsqmiy4xzz.jpg

DAisMnWXYAAP_0X_zpsddt5ttus.jpg

Are they suitable as open water boats?  Or strictly for harbours?

They look like nice little runabouts.

Chris Pook said:
Are they suitable as open water boats?  Or strictly for harbours?

They look like nice little runabouts.

I seen them at sea and in harbors, they handle quite well.

Back