• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF Fitness Policies Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunner said:
It's going to be briefed to the CDS by mid-May.  Current indications are a low completion rate however this is thought to be due to data not being entered into HRMS.  A call has gone out to make sure the PT is entered ASAP.

There is a new system coming out where the PSP staff will have a PC available DURING testing and will enter all the data right on the spot. Now they take all the forms and enter them after the fact - when you have 1000 forms to do it can get tedious.

I do have to agree...having an employer who allowed time throughout your day for PT would definitely be kick a**but...here goes my 2 cents...I am a nurse and I see the results of poor physical fitness daily and know that our healthcare system is burdened by obese sick people, so there are more reasons than just your job requirements to stay fit...

Fitness should be a lifestyle...it should not be just "fit in" a day but a part of everyday...everyone can find time to incorporate fitness in their day...whether that means parking your car a ways from where you are headed so you have to walk or taking the stairs instead of the elevator...little changes make a lifestyle and are easy to do, and quietly and slowly help one to become more fit, with other activities throughout the day.

I make time for my health/fitness almost daily and it is for me that I do, the spinoff is...I can get ready quickly when and if I get a call from the CF.

HL

I'm with HOTLIPS on this -

ANYONE can do the training - all you need is a 20 metre stretch of flat ground.

Can't do pushups or situps? You really need special time for this?

Recce Guy - email me with your address and I'll mail you a CD with the BEEP test music on it. Put it on a MP3 player and you're off to the races.

For anyone on the DIN - Here's the link to download the Beep test music MP3 file

http://dcds.mil.ca/projects/pmonmsc/documents/b-test.mp3

Hot Lips said:
I do have to agree...having an employer who allowed time throughout your day for PT would definitely be kick a**but...here goes my 2 cents...I am a nurse and I see the results of poor physical fitness daily and know that our healthcare system is burdened by obese sick people, so there are more reasons than just your job requirements to stay fit...

HL

I echo this too, Hot Lips.
Working with seniors for many years as their caregiver, you can see the affects of a "lazy" lifestyle very clearly.
Our aging population is getting heavier and heavier and alot of that falls onto the shoulders of caregivers who are too lazy themselves to encourage a client/resident to do some sort of physical activity, even if it is just holding their hand and walking up and down the halls of the facility, or taking their client out for a walk if they are at home.

Alot of it falls into diet also.
With so many convenience foods out there, and people not "having" enough time to make a good healthy home cooked meal, people are packing on the pounds. If more people included more fresh fruits and veggies in their diet rather than sweets and high fat meals, we would have a healthier society.

signalsguy said:
There is a new system coming out where the PSP staff will have a PC available DURING testing and will enter all the data right on the spot. Now they take all the forms and enter them after the fact - when you have 1000 forms to do it can get tedious.

Most army guys and gals don't do the Xpress test but the BFT.  Hence the results need to be entered into HRMS.

I do think it's awfully odd that the latest round of testing is over here in Cold Lake and the gym is once again a habitable place with plenty of room for those of us who go regularly.  In fact it's practically a desolate waste land in the mornings now but i guess it goes along with the new years resolutionists that usually peter out by valentines day.  It truly is a vicious circle isn't it?
;D

Gunner said:
Most army guys and gals don't do the Xpress test but the BFT.  Hence the results need to be entered into HRMS.

PSP are not the only folks who can enter this.  Any OR clerk (Reg F or Res F) can as well, once proof is provided to the clerk.  If you've done the BFT, for pension purposes members should go to thier local PSP gym and fill out the Exercise Prescription portion of a DND 279.  Have it signed by your CO and placed on your pers file.

Recceguy:  If you're doing a form of PT (like ruck marching) not listed on the DND 279, submit a memo to your CO requesting this form of PT be added to your DND 279.  That way, when the bus hits you, you're covered!

Okay...here is a kettle of fish...I probably ought not open but anyway...how many people do you suppose..."take PT" during the day...but don't really...because I am at the gym pretty regularly and it is never packed...I would think it ought to be...any time of day...I mix it up so I am surprised that more people aren't taking advantage of these wonderful free facilities...of course there are other gyms people attend...just seems odd...wish my employer would give me an hour a day to get fit...

As for the diet part...my understanding from my education is that diet constitutes 80% of weight loss and physical wellness...you are what you eat, lol

HL

I personally don't buy the argument about the reserves not covered for PT.If your human and actually give a fu#k about your health you would do it.As hotlips stated she does PT but she isn't covered by the hospital she works with.You can get hit by a vw full of Yugoslavians in T.O and your not covered either,life is like that.

IT IS NOT A ISSUE OF REG/RES.ITS HEALTH!

This new directive isn't going to change anything.It came out in December and I was ecstatic.Picturing fatties burned at the stake etc.But here we are.I have friends who are now in other secret org's (dare I say the name) who were reserve.THEY didn't do the whole dam I would love to work out but I'm not covered to go running.

And as it was said earlier in this post,the fat get fatter the fit get fitter..

there are excuses and reasons,think about that.

Quote,
As hotlips stated she does PT but she isn't covered by the hospital she works with

Is she going to be fitness tested by said hospital with possible repercussions if she doesn't pass?.......NO?
Then stop making stupid apple/oranges comparisons......

rcac_011 said:
And as it was said earlier in this post,the fat get fatter the fit get fitter..

there are excuses and reasons,think about that.

See my previous caveat regarding sanctimonious greek gods.

Apples to oranges I was stating that she can get hurt at anytime during her training.It would effect her career but she still does it.Why?Pride in her body and for health benefits.

How the hell is that apples and oranges.Or for these guys jacking the tread pizza and hamburgers.

Basically anyone who is going to argue about not being covered etc is proably not in optimum shape.That is an excuse.I had a guy in my troop who lost a leg,he didn't ***** and whine about pt he did it.That's a reason to not do PT but he didn't want to make excuses.

Bruce is that really that stupid?

Many reserve guys are on rugby teams etc,its the few who ***** about being covered who make it a sweeping generalisation of the reserves.And it is not true.
Policies may come.People may leave,not me.I will be the guy at the front gate laughing as you drive by,and if that day comes I promise I will be.

Fit to fight.You cant get more brevity than that.If your not fit to fight,you don't deserve to wear the uniform period.

I personally wouldn't want these sort of people in my troop.Not fit to fight what the hell are you going to do on deployment?The taliban won't lower a standard to let you survive.

I will be fit to fight (sorry if that offends anyone) so troops beside me can depend on me to help them out when the crap hits the fan.Not be too out of shape to keep up.

At 150 pounds for a grown man?.......You might not last as long as you think.
...and I guess at 220 you were a "fat slob" who should have been tossed anyways....no?
Quote,
Anyway that's what I did.Work out 5-6 times a week throw in a bit of weight training twice a week  on top of cardio.
Ive lost 60 lbs went from 220-150 since last October.I too had a serious accident that prevented me from pt for a few months.Now I'm trying out for csor.

Sure hope you get all that free time in a Regt.....though I doubt it.

I am the first to want everyone fit, but your just being a total jerk-off about it. I guess its like being a born again smoker/etc.......one must stand on that pedestal and demand admiration.

That was a fitness post which has nothing to do with this.If you could show the link it would display I was relating to another poster who is in the same boat I was last year.Also look at my fitness forum which states I would help anyone with traing plans which I have here to help them out.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
At 150 pounds for a grown man?.......You might not last as long as you think.
...and I guess at 220 you were a "fat slob" who should have been tossed anyways....no?

Really ..that's why Ive already been in for 7 years plq qual.yep I wont last.
According to your profile you didn't last .10 years arty.150 for a grown man?actually its a perfect weight for my height.And at 220 I still could run well under the low standards this army has.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Sure hope you get all that free time in a Regt.....though I doubt it.
Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yah cause were really not busy ::) at the armoured school.Why wouldn't I be able to work out at the regiment?Last time I checked normal work hrs in petawawa was 7h30-16h30.Theres that whole after supper hours your forgetting about.Plus PT in the morning which was pretty good before I left Pet.And if your referring to CSOR..I'm sure standards will be kept there.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I am the first to want everyone fit, but your just being a total jerk-off about it. I guess its like being a born again smoker/etc.......one must stand on that pedestal and demand admiration.

If that's what you want to do fine,make statues I dint care.How am I being a total jerk off about it?Your the one on here insulting me.Not the other way around.I far from want admiration,I just want to be the best possible soldier I can be which everyone should strive for.Reg or res.

so don't take post from different forum's to try to win your little battle.In the end I still win if I'm fit,and can look in the mirror at the end of the day and be happy.
Quit you defensive,it makes you sound like a fat teenager.

recceguy...for CDS  ;D
you made me use a dictionary...today is not wasted.

sanctimonious . ???

rcac_011 said:
recceguy...for CDS  ;D

I'm in.

Besdies, some folks think Gen Hillier's days are numbered.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42446/post-369777/boardseen.html#new

rcac_011:

If a Reg F guy is hurt doing "self supervised" PT on his own time he is eligible for medical coverage, doesn't lose his pay or benefits while he recuperates and can qualify for a diability pension if he's no longer employable.

If a Res F guy gets hurt doing "self supervised" PT on his own time he has none of that.  The assumed risk for Res F troops is exactly that: potential loss of livelihood, earnings, career etc.  All Recceguy is saying is that if you are going to hold the Res F to the same standards as the Reg F then give them the same protection.

And, for the record, I believe that fitness is a life requirement, not a job requirement.

Haggis said:
[All Recceguy is saying is that if you are going to hold the Res F to the same standards as the Reg F then give them the same protection.

And, for the record, I believe that fitness is a life requirement, not a job requirement.

Yep understood.Agree 100% with res guys getting coverage doing dnd sponsored activities (not knife fighting etc :blotto:).

Haggis said:

I know you do!We have acually been on this post for quite sometime and believe we both understand where they other is coming from...it's the people who drop in just to argue/insult people...fighting on the internet...wow...

hey but if my comments make them angry maybe they will burn a few more calories typing!

cheers to haggis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back