• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No more rifles on drill/grad parade?

I've seen Change of Command parades done both ways. Super simple inside unit lines and extravagant affairs that normally double as a Trooping of the Colours or a Freedom of the City Parade. I can't comment on the way that the Reg Force does a Change of Command parade, but with the reserves, they are often a major public affairs ego stroking for socio-paths effort, sometimes including the closure of main roads so that the unit can actually march through the city. Now, do all change of command parades have to happen this way, no, of course not. But units should still consider how they are engaged in their recruiting area, for example, how many in their community actually know that they have a militia regiment?

There, FTFY ;)

Now I learned something new or forgotten.

I am thinking a 100 person guard would be hard these days unless they grabbed them from Reg F and Full time Reserves. Saw a reserve unit a few years back that couldn't get a small 20 something man pool for a Freedom of the City parade out of over 200 on strength. At least until they threatened to put all the full time staff on the parade. I suspect the Ops WO did some arm wringing and threatening of people looking for summer tasks/courses.
We managed it in 2014 IIRC when the future King visited Winnipeg. 50 persons from The Royal Winnipeg Rifles and 50 persons from the RCAF.

It turned out very well.

I can remember some years ago 2 VP during their Freedom of the City parade I think it looked like they 'd had a reinforced platoon there. It seemed all rather depressing to be honest.

Interesting.

At least three of the pipers on that 2 PPCLI parade in Winnipeg come from 26th Field Artillery Regiment in Brandon.

Good to see the cooperation.

🍻

Yes. Several years as a G4 at Bde. Previous CO was a problem at both units.

The Dec 2005 Change of Command parade and stand up of the three amalgamated Service Bn's of 38 CBG, everyone including the Officers carried rifles.

Probably due to the fact the outgoing CO of 17 and 18 Svc Bn was Infantry.

One march past played this: “Saint Louis Blues March” scene from “The Glenn Miller Story” : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Clearly, this CO was a....

Christine Ebersole Idiot GIF by CBS

I had a laugh at the no sling thing. I'm trying to envision climbing a jumping ladder or doing any sort of work at sea without a sling.

I'm thankful I had my sling otherwise the King would probably need a couple of new rifles since I would have definitely lost one in the Gulf of Oman without a sling.

They are also pretty handy when transitioning to pistol because of a stoppage 😄

I had a laugh at the no sling thing. I'm trying to envision climbing a jumping ladder or doing any sort of work at sea without a sling.

I'm thankful I had my sling otherwise the King would probably need a couple of new rifles since I would have definitely lost one in the Gulf of Oman without a sling.

I'm curious to know how a soldier would do anything without a sling. Just one-hand it all or put your rifle down over there somewhere? My experience has shown a sling to be pretty useful, but I'm a nobody.

The CO of a Svc Bn was infantry ?
This is happening fairly regularly for the Reserves. Shuffling around COs because the units themselves struggle to effectively generate LCols. SVC BNs in particular due to how long the training is and how specialized the degrees for the officers have to be have a tough time getting both the RCEME officers and Log Os.

This is happening fairly regularly for the Reserves. Shuffling around COs because the units themselves struggle to effectively generate LCols. SVC BNs in particular due to how long the training is and how specialized the degrees for the officers have to be have a tough time getting both the RCEME officers and Log Os.

There are also 'serial' COs, who like the role alot and regularly jump from unit to unit.

These people are also known as psychopaths :)

Yeah, the Crow is rather filling. :salute:

Not my taste in music but they looked pretty good. I bet that took some practice.
And I'll bet they bounded as a team practicing to be that good.

A bit of a departure from the traditional Maori Haka that they perform.

There was a reserve unit (PL Fus) in Halifax back in 1987 that did it for a changing of colours parade. It use to be a point of pride now it seems to be an extra duty no one wants.

Back