• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

I would simply like to have a general idea of the probability of acceptance into the military as either an infantryman, crewman or artilleryman as these are the trades I have applied for. ANY information would be helpful and appreciated. I applied less than a week ago so I'm not surprised I haven't received any sort of response but I am simply curious as to my chances. Thanks

Jon1919 said:
I would simply like to have a general idea of the probability of acceptance into the military as either an infantryman, crewman or artilleryman as these are the trades I have applied for. ANY information would be helpful and appreciated. I applied less than a week ago so I'm not surprised I haven't received any sort of response but I am simply curious as to my chances. Thanks

:facepalm: How is anyone suppose to tell you your probability of being accepted? You still have to pass the CFAT, medical, interview, and background check. No one here knows you or what your qualifications are. All you can do is go through the process and be prepared the best you can be to beat out other applicants. If you want info start reading the many threads that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Teager said:
:facepalm: How is anyone suppose to tell you your probability of being accepted? You still have to pass the CFAT, medical, interview, and background check. No one here knows you or what your qualifications are. All you can do is go through the process and be prepared the best you can be to beat out other applicants. If you want info start reading the many threads that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Jon1919: The above response is the most helpful that you'll receive. 

I am trying to get information about LOGO recruitment 2013. I had my interview back in March at the Toronto CFRC and was told I would be merit listed. But it was requested at that time for me to submit some medical tests. All have been submitted except my allergy test which I have tried to expedite to the best of my abilities but it seems to be taking a long time - they will be submitted the first week of September. I am wondering what the selection date is for the Logistics Officer trade and if the late submission of this last test will compromise my chances. Also, if I miss the September selection, when will be the next for LOGO?

Thank you.

lmc1987 said:
I am trying to get information about LOGO recruitment 2013. I had my interview back in March at the Toronto CFRC and was told I would be merit listed.

OK...have you gone back to the CFRC to discuss this, or checked the CF Recruiting website? Your post doesn't say what digging you've done on your own.

But it was requested at that time for me to submit some medical tests. All have been submitted except my allergy test which I have tried to expedite to the best of my abilities but it seems to be taking a long time - they will be submitted the first week of September. 

Until these tests are submitted and reviewed, there may not be much progress on your file. The CF is (understandably) reluctant to accept people with potential medical liabilities without checking out each case.

I am wondering what the selection date is for the Logistics Officer trade and if the late submission of this last test will compromise my chances. Also, if I miss the September selection, when will be the next for LOGO?

I wouldn't get worked up over course dates if your medical situation hasn't been clarified yet. Once your file is approved, the CFRC will get it back, and should then, if you're suitable in all other respects, indicate a likely course date. At this point you should know that course dates do sometimes change, for a whole host of reasons. Be patient and stay in touch with the CFRC.

George Wallace said:
Yes.  The CFRC would book them there or in other cases, a YMCA; or whatever testing facility is available to that CFRC.

Hi,

Would you happen to know more about how to take the EXPRES at a civilan location?  I live in Vancouver and am trying to join as a reservist.  My application was going along pretty well until I was told the Vancouver / New Westminster recruiting center lost their former person responsible for physical testing.  I was also told they just put in a request to Ottawa to find a new one but that it might take a while before they are granted the funds for a new member or contractor.  The next BMOQ is coming fast and I don't want to be rolled to the following one because of this.  I'm willing to go to Esquimalt (where I assume they have the personnel to perform the physical) or pay for my own test at a civilian center approved for giving the EXPRES.  I did mention that at the recruiting center but got various and sometimes contradictory and confused responses to my statement.  I'm thinking if I offer a clear solution, I might be able to ensure my file is processed in time for the next BMOQ.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Recruiting Centre: New Westminster
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: ENGR
Trade Choice 2: SIGS
Trade Choice 3: LOG
Application Date: 2013-03-19
First Contact: 2013-06-14
CFAT: 2013-08-27
Medical: 2013-08-29
Physical: TBD
Interview: TBD
Position Offered: TBD
Enrollment/Swearing In: TBD

Hello I'm planning on joining the reserves with the intent to eventually become an intelligence officer, I have a few questions though, I have looked on every post on here for anything involving these questions and have found nothing. It would be nice if someone could shed some light on these.    :)

1. What classes would you suggest I take for grade 12 to improve my chances at becoming an intelligence operator/officer?

2. When should I apply? Considering I am planning on getting a B-COM the following year I was wondering when would be best so I could do basic training over the summer.

3. Where do I apply?

4. How long does it take between signing up and being sent to basic training?

5. Can I do my basic training on the summer between highschool and university and then do my job specific training the next summer?

6. What is the process after requesting to join the reserves at a recruitment office? Do I get some paper work or a “we’ll call you when we can”?

7. What kind of paperwork and activities are involved between requesting a job at the recruitment center and being sent to BMQ?

8. While at university will I be able to become an officer during my education or would I have to wait until completion of my education to take the step from operator to officer?
Any tips on preparation for joining? (workout, food, education, things to buy etc.)

Cameron G said:
1. What classes would you suggest I take for grade 12 to improve my chances at becoming an intelligence operator/officer?

English and math courses, the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) has components on language and math/spatial concepts, it doesn't matter what else you know if you don't pass the CFAT.

Cameron G said:
2. When should I apply? Considering I am planning on getting a B-COM the following year I was wondering when would be best so I could do basic training over the summer.

Go visit the loval unit you want to join. Talk to the Recruiter, tell him or her that you want to join. Choose either officer or operator tracks and commit to it, you're wasting everyone's time by think you'll join as an operator and switch tracks after a year. In any case, switching isn't just a matter of asking for it.

Cameron G said:
3. Where do I apply?

Start with the local unit. They will tell you what process to follow with the Recruiting System. If the unit doesn't have any vacancies, starting a file with the Recruting System will not create one for you.

Cameron G said:
4. How long does it take between signing up and being sent to basic training?

The usual routine it to swear someone in shortly before their training starts. There is no defined timeline, it varies.

Cameron G said:
5. Can I do my basic training on the summer between highschool and university and then do my job specific training the next summer?

That will depend on when the local units/ brigade conduct Basic training. You may not start it until during your first year of university (assuming and officer track) with the intent that your first summer of occupational training will be the summer after your first year of university.

Cameron G said:
6. What is the process after requesting to join the reserves at a recruitment office? Do I get some paper work or a “we’ll call you when we can”?

Start by talking to your local unit. They will explaian the process to you.

Cameron G said:
7. What kind of paperwork and activities are involved between requesting a job at the recruitment center and being sent to BMQ?

You will be given forms to fill out and appointments for tests, medical,e tc. There is much detail on that art of the process on these forums. You will be kept informed by your recruiter, be prepared to meet all timings and return all paperwork promptly. Start reading the recruiting threads for a nauseating amount of detail.

Cameron G said:
8. While at university will I be able to become an officer during my education or would I have to wait until completion of my education to take the step from operator to officer?

Reserve officer are commissioned during their training while still in university. See above for comments regarding operator vs officer at this stage.

Cameron G said:
Any tips on preparation for joining? (workout, food, education, things to buy etc.)

site:army.ca BMQ AND tips

Those links should take care of all your BMQ questions.

Bonus reply:

site:army.ca intelligence AND officer

so i applied a bit ago to for the boatswain and Armour soldier position.
i am a physically fit 20 yr old male, high school diploma who works out 5x a week and has 3 hrs of volunteering a week. that scores me a 15 which equals a 3.
both of the trades i applied for require a 5 and i found this out when i went in and talked to a recruiter. he told me basically i have no chance at joining any combat arms and now i hang my head in shame and am pretty upset about it. i want to make myself good enough to earn  the 20 points for a 5, but i want to spend the next few years of my life in the military not at school to earn the next points i need. i just so i could hopefully join the combat arms. he told me to look at support roles because they are lower scored and are in high demand apparently so out of all the other roles the only ones that made me excited and i think would be cool trades would be the air weapons system tech and the mobile support equipment operator.

so after doing a little research and deciding its go time for round 2 on my application i go back to the apply now website and find out i am locked out of my account. thinking maybe its cause the other one failed i got a new gc key. it then gave me the option of bring my old information up from my other account with a confirmation code i did all that and took the confirmation code and put it in annnnd it locked me out again. what am i doing wrong?

what is the next step do i make a new gc key again and just forget about the last application. whole new one or am i too just wait. I've called the office and i got nothing as no one answered but i just don't know what to do at this point.

i feel like i would make a great soldier and am sad that i am just not smart enough to be able to qualify for combat arms. but am happy that i found roles in the support area that i feel i could benefit the forces in and enjoy my time serving, if i get the opportunity too. i will try to raise my number but it feels with what i can do the only way to raise it to a 20 will take years.

Daggss said:
so i applied a bit ago to for the boatswain and Armour soldier position.
i am a physically fit 20 yr old male, high school diploma who works out 5x a week and has 3 hrs of volunteering a week. that scores me a 15 which equals a 3.
both of the trades i applied for require a 5 and i found this out when i went in and talked to a recruiter. he told me basically i have no chance at joining any combat arms and now i hang my head in shame and am pretty upset about it. i want to make myself good enough to earn  the 20 points for a 5, but i want to spend the next few years of my life in the military not at school to earn the next points i need. i just so i could hopefully join the combat arms. he told me to look at support roles because they are lower scored and are in high demand apparently so out of all the other roles the only ones that made me excited and i think would be cool trades would be the air weapons system tech and the mobile support equipment operator.

so after doing a little research and deciding its go time for round 2 on my application i go back to the apply now website and find out i am locked out of my account. thinking maybe its cause the other one failed i got a new gc key. it then gave me the option of bring my old information up from my other account with a confirmation code i did all that and took the confirmation code and put it in annnnd it locked me out again. what am i doing wrong?

what is the next step do i make a new gc key again and just forget about the last application. whole new one or am i too just wait. I've called the office and i got nothing as no one answered but i just don't know what to do at this point.

i feel like i would make a great soldier and am sad that i am just not smart enough to be able to qualify for combat arms. but am happy that i found roles in the support area that i feel i could benefit the forces in and enjoy my time serving, if i get the opportunity too. i will try to raise my number but it feels with what i can do the only way to raise it to a 20 will take years.

Couple of questions......

1.  Can you put a definition on your term of "I applied a bit ago"?
2.  Was your original application CLOSED and if so when was it closed and were you told to "reapply"?

DAA said:
Couple of questions......

1.  Can you put a definition on your term of "I applied a bit ago"?
2.  Was your original application CLOSED and if so when was it closed and were you told to "reapply"?

1. A month and a half ago
2. i don't know if it was closed they just told me i was deemed uncompetitive and he told me to reapply asap, today if i wanted to. I wasn't going to today because its a little soon but i wanted to look at what i put and just add in the recent volunteering i have done. and then just talk to one of my brothers friends who is serving. see if maybe he could help me on some possible trade choices and maybe something that i missed that i might enjoy

Daggss said:
1. A month and a half ago
2. i don't know if it was closed they just told me i was deemed uncompetitive and he told me to reapply asap, today if i wanted to. I wasn't going to today because its a little soon but i wanted to look at what i put and just add in the recent volunteering i have done. and then just talk to one of my brothers friends who is serving. see if maybe he could help me on some possible trade choices and maybe something that i missed that i might enjoy

Scoring levels changed about a month ago, so chances are the recruiter you spoke with probably isn't aware of this.  As a result, you probably do qualify for the occupations you have chosen.  They should have gone through your application with you and then just "updated" your application "on site".      :facepalm:

DAA said:
Scoring levels changed about a month ago, so chances are the recruiter you spoke with probably isn't aware of this.  As a result, you probably do qualify for the occupations you have chosen.  They should have gone through your application with you and then just "updated" your application "on site".      :facepalm:

that's good and bad to hear at the same time. he seemed very helpful to talk too but no mention of updating my application while i was there. i told him i did have stuff to add but he just told me to go and reapply online. i also wanted to apply across branches and the online application doesn't allow that. as in i wanted to apply Armour and boatswain but could only put boatswain on my application but he said Armour is at a 5 as well so i still had no chance. ill have to book a day off work next week and go talk to him for awhile i guess. i managed to talk to someone from Det Edmonton about the gckey and they told me that tomorrow i will have to call Ontario and have them reset it. he gave me the PPP scoring sheet but even with my updated stuff i am still only at a 3 (15) with my stuff and i don't wanna lie just for the 1 extra point to get to a 4 cause I'm sure it would bite me in the ass.

should i reapply for the same trades along with a support role? is there the chance that i qualify now even with such and average score? below average maybe even? i don't know what the general score is for people. all i know i want to do this so badly. i recently was given an article from a Regina newspaper about how new recruits are unmotivated and not as physically fit as the army wants them to be but i have been working out hard to be ready and am so ready to commit myself. i feel like getting rejected was a blow but at the same time shows that i have to work hard to get in.

Most applicants to the CF, when they are applying online, have a tendancy to "under value" themselves, which is not uncommon even when applying for a civilian job.  This is why Recruiters need to go over the application with you, if you're given the chance.  When you are applying, if you "think" it counts, then just go ahead and put it in!!!!  Your not going to be burnt at the stake for it and it won't be held against you.  I say "Tomato" you say "Tomatoe".

For a Recruiter to tell you to just go ahead and "reapply" online to update your application, is passing the buck, when they can just update it right there on the spot!!!

I am sure you have something to offer to the CF and at this point in time the only thing that comes to mind is "piss poor service" to start with.

To answer your other questions,........

1. The online application has NOT been updated in years, so it is painful  (how hard is html programming these days?)  So you have to follow up with an email to make your occupation changes.
2.  GCKey is beyond the control of Canadian Forces and is managed by the Government of Canada.  So even if you ask the CF for help in this regard, there is nothing that the CF do. (thanks for Partners)

To make the process simple.........Just "re-apply".

DAA said:
Most applicants to the CF, when they are applying online, have a tendancy to "under value" themselves, which is not uncommon even when applying for a civilian job.  This is why Recruiters need to go over the application with you, if you're given the chance.  When you are applying, if you "think" it counts, then just go ahead and put it in!!!!  Your not going to be burnt at the stake for it and it won't be held against you.  I say "Tomato" you say "Tomatoe".

For a Recruiter to tell you to just go ahead and "reapply" online to update your application, is passing the buck, when they can just update it right there on the spot!!!

I am sure you have something to offer to the CF and at this point in time the only thing that comes to mind is "piss poor service" to start with.

To answer your other questions,........

1. The online application has NOT been updated in years, so it is painful  (how hard is html programming these days?)  So you have to follow up with an email to make your occupation changes.
2.  GCKey is beyond the control of Canadian Forces and is managed by the Government of Canada.  So even if you ask the CF for help in this regard, there is nothing that the CF do. (thanks for Partners)

To make the process simple.........Just "re-apply".

Thank you for all the information I appreciate you taking the time to talk and answer these questions, Just wanted to throw that out there,

Would I email the CFVRC with the changes or is that something I should Email Det Calgary if it makes it there again?
And I know for a fact I under valued myself because I was nervous about it. There is lots of things Ive done that I thought maybe would make me desirable that I put in my application like Police Cadets and such. Do you know if they look at the type of activities you do or is it just the numbers and scores they look at regardless of activities?

It sucks to know that he could have updated it then and there and it would have been nice too have gone over it with him as well. Seeing as I took the afternoon off work for the sole purpose of going there, and got there with plenty of time left in the day, Just in case the opportunity to stay awhile to talk arose just to see what was happening, And I did tell him that as well.
I definitely will apply again. I will apply with the support roles as the first jobs and re apply for Armour as you said the standards have changed and IF, Hopefully by everything that is good and great in the world, I get to the medical and even the interview I can bring it up there?

Daggss said:
Would I email the CFVRC with the changes or is that something I should Email Det Calgary if it makes it there again?
And I know for a fact I under valued myself because I was nervous about it. There is lots of things Ive done that I thought maybe would make me desirable that I put in my application like Police Cadets and such. Do you know if they look at the type of activities you do or is it just the numbers and scores they look at regardless of activities?

I would email both CFVRC and also Calgary once you have re-applied.  But do yourself a favour and take your time filling out the application and consider "everything and anything".  I am sure there is alot you missed the first ime around!

Hello everyone i'm new to this site and i'm only 15 , I turn 16 in December and was planning to join the reserves , is this a good choice?

AUstin168100 said:
Hello everyone i'm new to this site and i'm only 15 , I turn 16 in December and was planning to join the reserves , is this a good choice?

I joined the Reserves when I turned 16. Can't say for others, but I found it worthwhile.

I did as well. The one caution I would give you is that it can be quite demanding managing training time and school work if you are not used to multitasking. Just make sure you have a good plan going in otherwise you may find your grades slip and depending on what you want to do after High School, this can be a problem.

Back