• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Election: New riding and choices.

Heh. The page’s ads are making a funny.

Attachments

• 740D3D2A-4063-442E-B52D-36E02A4D2DD1.png
    740D3D2A-4063-442E-B52D-36E02A4D2DD1.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 233
Altair said:
Ford could still win this,  Mulroney and Elliot might have lost,  but everything in the polls months ago and now repeat the same theme. Elliot and Mulroney were less devisive and as moderates were able to court voters outside the base far better than ford.

As such,  they would have been far better positioned to fend off a NDP surge in the late stages of a election campaign.

Ford now needs to hope that the liberals don't collapse completely,  because liberal voters looking for a second choice are not going to be voting for him.

The alternative view point is maybe seeing a NDP surge will chase less far-left Liberal supporters to the PC camp because they remember, or have been fed horror stories about the Bob Rae NDP days.

I'm curious to see how this election turns out, even if the NDP win I'm only stuck here for a bit less than three years now. Even the NDP with the "sanctuary" province virtue signalling shouldn't be able to mess things up too bad in that time...

I think Horvath may have scared off a lot of voters, NDP and Grit, with her sanctuary province promise. A lot of people ran the other way as fast as possible, when she floated that. Plus, every couple of days, the MSM seems to find another whack job, dipper candidate, with a ridiculous SJW mantra of their own, that just makes the party look like escapees from the loony bin..

The grits just look like thieves and gangsters and they are finished anyway.

But the dippers? They just keep climbing out of that clown car, keeping their craziness on the front page.

I'd almost bet Doug Ford could die, two days before the election, and he'd still win.

Furniture said:
The alternative view point is maybe seeing a NDP surge will chase less far-left Liberal supporters to the PC camp because they remember, or have been fed horror stories about the Bob Rae NDP days.

I'm curious to see how this election turns out, even if the NDP win I'm only stuck here for a bit less than three years now. Even the NDP with the "sanctuary" province virtue signalling shouldn't be able to mess things up too bad in that time...

If that were the case we would see a bump in the PC numbers but instead they have gone down.  they may just stay home too.

At this time though I feel that Ford has the right number 40% or so and has entrenched ridings that will be hard if not impossible for the NDP to budge.  It's the swing ridings that will decide if this will be a majority or a minority PC government.  the NDP could pull it off but would have to keep the surge going.  I'm not sure that can happen but then again I thought this election was locked in earlier.

Either way the liberals are out and that's fine by me.

Furniture said:
Even the NDP with the "sanctuary" province virtue signalling shouldn't be able to mess things up too bad in that time...

For reference to the discussion,

Toronto Sun

PC Leader Doug Ford voted in favour of these actions while on Toronto council, so Hussan expects he would not oppose doing so at the provincial level.
http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ndps-sanctuary-ontario-must-have-broad-reach-activist-says

The PCs did not provide comment when asked about Ford’s position on a sanctuary province, and the Liberals did not respond when asked their views on the NDP proposal.

END QUOTE

mariomike said:
For reference to the discussion,

Toronto Sun

PC Leader Doug Ford voted in favour of these actions while on Toronto council, so Hussan expects he would not oppose doing so at the provincial level.
http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ndps-sanctuary-ontario-must-have-broad-reach-activist-says

The PCs did not provide comment when asked about Ford’s position on a sanctuary province, and the Liberals did not respond when asked their views on the NDP proposal.

END QUOTE

Hmn.  Interesting...

Makes me wonder if this might be a trap.

That being said I suppose what is good for someone's city ward may not be so good for a whole province?  Different crowd different point of view? 

Remius said:
Hmn.  Interesting...

Since you are interested, this was the source,
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.CD18.5

Altair said:
it can be said that American voters didn't know what they were getting with trump.

Sure, anything can be said.

I watched the past Glorious US Election very closely, and far more people knew "what they were getting" with now-President Trump than you would think by watching the mainstream media.

Altair said:
Populist leaders around the world since then have failed to replicate trumps success

Viktor Orbán. Yuge majority.

Altair said:
maybe due to the fact that the voting public want nothing to do with what they are seeing in America.

Voting publics everywhere just hate tax cuts, wage increases, more jobs, not being fined because they do not want to pay exorbitant costs for health care that will not benefit them, the first real prospect of resolving the Korean situation...

Altair said:
Elliot and Mulroney were less devisive and as moderates

"Moderates". Blecchh. I am sick of "moderates" who do not know what they stand for, if anything, and accomplish nothing useful whatsoever. Ontario's best years in my lifetime were those when Mike Harris was premier.

Altair said:
they would have been far better positioned to fend off a NDP surge in the late stages of a election campaign.

I seriously doubt that. They failed to inspire.

Loachman said:
"Moderates". Blecchh. I am sick of "moderates" who do not know what they stand for, if anything, and accomplish nothing useful whatsoever. Ontario's best years in my lifetime were those when Mike Harris was premier.

The irony of that statement is that Mike Harris banished most if not all social conservatives to his backbenches...

The fact that Doug Ford got rid of Tanya Grannic Allen and the PC party seemingly limiting their involvement in local debates indicates they are trying to keep a more moderate point of view.  A good strategy in my mind.   

I would consider myself a moderate, and I know what I stand for.

Infanteer said:
I would consider myself a moderate, and I know what I stand for.

Agreed.  Being moderate be it fiscally or socially does not equate to not knowing what you stand for. 

Loachman said:
Viktor Orbán. Yuge majority.
He was around before Trump, and will be around after him if my guess is right. Not the best example. Looking at Germany, France, Netherlands, the other trump like figures did poorly.
Be that as it may, they had more room to grow the party than Ford. More left leaning voters would have considered voting for Mulroney or Elliot. Ford is dealing with a hard cap of 40% of the electorate, and if he can win with only his base backing him, power to him, but if recent polling is to be believed, he may lose if the 60 percent of voters he cannot reach coalesce around the NDP
I seriously doubt that. They failed to inspire.
They failed to inspire the base, but they would have been a breath of fresh air for disenchanted liberals voters.

And while he may inspire the base, he's also going to inspire his opposition. Like it or not, he's a polarizing figure, and if there is a ABF movement afoot come election day, he's cooked. I seriously doubt there would be a ABE or ABM movement, and left leaning voters might have simply stayed home rather than vote for the liberals which they didn't like and the NDP who couldn't win. Now the NDP might win and there is a ABF movement, two things that may doom the PC come election night.

It's going to be interesting.

If the NDP win, it means there will be a really good buyers market for housing.  That alone should scare the crap out of all those 416/905 who have overpaid and mortgaged the rest of their life for a postage stamp property.

whiskey601 said:
If the NDP win, it means there will be a really good buyers market for housing.  That alone should scare the crap out of all those 416/905 who have overpaid and mortgaged the rest of their life for a postage stamp property.
growing up in quebec as a English speaking person,  I always knew that I could move to ontario if things got unbearable.

Where does an ontarian move to?

Altair said:
growing up in quebec as a English speaking person,  I always knew that I could move to ontario if things got unbearable.

Where does an ontarian move to?

Alberta, the NDP will be gone there soon.

I don't think an NDP government would be unbearable, there is nothing wrong with more progressive government services and in some cases, policies...

Whether they can do that without being as divisive, corrupt, vengeful and full of coercive equity ideas that are punitive and driven by racial/gender undertones is a whole other matter.

An NDP government would be very good for all manner of things in Northern Ontario.

The outcome of this election is not as relevant as the one that will occur on October 21, 2019.

whiskey601 said:
I don't think an NDP government would be unbearable, there is nothing wrong with more progressive government services and in some cases, policies...

Whether they can do that without being as divisive, corrupt, vengeful and full of coercive equity ideas that are punitive and driven by racial/gender undertones is a whole other matter.

An NDP government would be very good for all manner of things in Northern Ontario.

The outcome of this election is not as relevant as the one that will occur on October 21, 2019.

The NDP did a great job last time they were in power in Ontario.  :facepalm: Not to mention the radical candidates that get a pass for the NDP but are tarred and feathered if they're a Tory, or the glaring $1.4B CAD budget shortfall in just their declared campaign promises.

Ontario is drowning in debt. What we don't need is more debt. Liberals and NDP = catastrophic debt levels.

Puck I understand that. I lived here during the last one-"Stay Alive til'95" was our mantra as young men. Let's be honest though, no party running in this election is going to bring down Ontario's debt. It will take a substantial  external push for that to happen. The best the province can hope for is to die in its sleep as far as that goes. There are no more Mike Harris era's* in the future of the province so long as the GTA remains a part of it.

* edit:  by that, I mean the Harris government made it abundantly clear that Ottawa was to stay out of Ontario's fiscal situation and we would get ourselves out of the mess left over from the Peterson and Rae governments.

PuckChaser said:
The NDP did a great job last time they were in power in Ontario.  :facepalm: Not to mention the radical candidates that get a pass for the NDP but are tarred and feathered if they're a Tory, or the glaring $1.4B CAD budget shortfall in just their declared campaign promises.

Ontario is drowning in debt. What we don't need is more debt. Liberals and NDP = catastrophic debt levels.
And ford wants to cancel the carbon tax,  and balance the budget finding 10 billion dollars of efficiencies.

I think everyone is using funny math.

Altair said:
I think everyone is using funny math.

Agreed: we cannot fix this: http://www.debtclock.ca/provincial-debtclocks/ontario/ontario-s-debt/

Back