• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Health "Premium"

SMMT, didn't I just say that?
My point is that we are paid enough to compensate for all the little extras in life. Depending on where you reside would also depend on how much you are able to put in your pocket.  I, too, am pissed that we have to pay OHIP when our families are duely covered by insurances that we pay for.  Pay certain taxes and pension plans/insurances premuims and not allowed to collect.  Money out the window if you ask me that can be better put into my sons' education plans or trust funds.

BYT Driver said:
By the way, you and your hubby are D.I.N.K.'s, right?  Try doing all this on Cpls pay, single income with teenagers.
There are alot of people who are worse off than you.

(rant off)
Okay, let me reply to this.  Technically, you could call us DINKs but I pay child support for my daughter who lives with her father and hubby was paying child support right up until this year.  That's not the point I'm trying to make.  If you look at my original post, what I'm saying is military (or RCMP) should not be paying for Provincial health care as we are covered by the Federal government as stated in the Canada Health Act. http://hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-assur/res/faq_e.html
Canada Health Act:
"The federal government is responsible for:
- setting and administering national principles or standards for the health care system through the Canada Health Act;
- assisting in the financing of provincial health care services through fiscal transfers;
- delivering direct health services to specific groups including veterans, native Canadians living on reserves, military personnel, inmates of federal penitentiaries and  the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; and
- fulfilling other health-related functions such as health protection, disease prevention and health promotion."

I read the site but it doesn't say anything about it paying for dependants and spouses.  That is probably why we have to pay OHP in Ontario and HST and such in NS.  HST in NS covers MSI, which if "free".
    :army:  I would like retract and apologize for my uncalled for statement calling anyone a D.I.N.K.  I didn't realize at the time that some people do pay child support and alimoney.  I work with a D.I.N.K. who cries foul all the time and sometimes needs a good STFU to open thier eyes.

Free provincial health care?

In Quebec, Medicare (FSS) is a charge to business' based on their payroll.  So, for users, it is "free"... sort of BUT, it certainly isn't free to the taxpayers.

Soooo... this contrasts with Ontario and a couple of provinces where it is assessed to the individual -  and the business'.

Is it fair to pass it all the way down to the taxpayer?
Obviously not............... guess residents of Ontario should ask the provincial gov't to make changes and ask that they charge 100% of the medicare bill to the employers(good luck).

geo said:
Free provincial health care?...

Obviously not............... guess residents of Ontario should ask the provincial gov't to make changes and ask that they charge 100% of the medicare bill to the employers(good luck).
and I asked about this earlier, I think the province does charge DND for medical service provided to CF personnel, in addition to the premium/tax charged to the individual, unless I got this wrong, this is why I think it's not reasonable
And it shouldn't matter a tinkers damn what your personal situation is, re DINK et al, the provincial government ought not be asking to be paid twice for something.

In a sense I kind of get the idea its a sneaky way to make up for some revenue shortfalls on the backs of CF personnel.

Petard said:
and I asked about this earlier, I think the province does charge DND for medical service provided to CF personnel, in addition to the premium/tax charged to the individual, unless I got this wrong, this is why I think it's not reasonable
And it shouldn't matter a tinkers damn what your personal situation is, re DINK et al, the provincial government ought not be asking to be paid twice for something.

In a sense I kind of get the idea its a sneaky way to make up for some revenue shortfalls on the backs of CF personnel.
Thank you, that's my point exactly!! That the government is being paid twice for these services (and it's against the Health Act).

Also thank you BYT Driver for the apology(I took no offense at your comment) but you're right, everyone is in a different situation......by choice.

Petard said:

Yea, your right...........take that posting to Valcartier,...that'll show 'em.

When in Rome..........

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yea, your right...........take that posting to Valcartier,...that'll show 'em.

When in Rome..........

hey, have you been swillin' with my career mangler? something I should know? ;D

+1 Agreed.

Anyway back on topic:

A revelation from another thread, part of the post edited for relevence:

Hauptsturmführer Scharlachrot said:
a LONG one from Monday 11 December 2006: (first part)
Canadian Forces

Mrs. Cheryl Gallant (Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke, CPC) 
    Are we as Canadians doing all we can to support our brave men and women in uniform?
    On May 18, 2004, the Ontario Liberal Party introduced a controversial new tax called the Ontario health premium, breaking its campaign promise to not raise taxes. In the case of Canada's military, the federal government directly provides for military health care. Although military members are excluded by law from being members of provincial health care plans, the Ontario Liberals collect almost $30 million in premiums from 40,000 regular and reserve military members in Ontario.
    The Liberals in Ontario tried to justify this blatant tax grab from soldiers by saying that the premiums pay for services to dependents, even though many soldiers are not married or have no dependents. Yet when the Phoenix Centre for Children and Families in Renfrew County requested $400,000 to hire therapists and child care counsellors to treat the high levels of anxiety, depression and even trauma among the children and caregivers of military personnel, Mary Anne Chambers, the Minister of Children and Youth Services in Toronto, wrote back saying that, and I refer to her October 3, 2006 letter to Phoenix Centre executive director Greg Lubimiv, supports and services to families and children are a federal responsibility.
    As the member of Parliament for the riding that includes CFB Petawawa, I was recently contacted by a military couple who, tragically, lost their baby a few weeks after it was born. As both husband and wife are military, they do not have OHIP coverage because the federal government provides for health care directly. As the child died a few weeks after birth, the child would not be covered by OHIP because neither parent has an OHIP number to extend coverage to the child even though both parents are paying thousands of dollars in health care premiums to the provincial government.
    This couple received a bill for thousands of dollars. They are Canadian citizens. They are in uniform in service to their country, but they are being treated like second class citizens by the Province of Ontario.
    In the previous Parliament, I provided other examples of how military personnel are unfairly treated when it comes to the provision of services in the province of Ontario. I say to Dalton McGuinty and the Liberal Party, “Stop trying to pass the buck”. If he is not going to provide services to families and children of our military personnel, he should give back the money he took from them, the $30 million.
    The Government of Canada, through the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is doing its part. The people of Canada are doing their part. It is time for the Province of Ontario to get onside and do its part.

Why does no one file a lawsuit?

Quote,
and reserve military members in Ontario.-  Red Herring at best

Quotes,
As the member of Parliament for the riding that includes CFB Petawawa, I was recently contacted by a military couple who, tragically, lost their baby a few weeks after it was born. As both husband and wife are military, they do not have OHIP coverage because the federal government provides for health care directly. As the child died a few weeks after birth, the child would not be covered by OHIP because neither parent has an OHIP number to extend coverage to the child even though both parents are paying thousands of dollars in health care premiums to the provincial government.

The Government of Canada, through the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, is doing its part.

Well if The Government of Canada didn't cover it then I would put forward they did not do thier part.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote,
and reserve military members in Ontario.-  Red Herring at best
UNLESS she meant reservists on Class "C", since they are covered, no?

(Yes, this is a stretch)

Reserve members serving periods of service under 180 days full-time receive emergency treatment, and treatment for any service related injuries from the CF Health service.  Reservists serving on class C service or on class B service  for periods in excess of 180 days are provided the (almost) full-meal deal from the CF Health service.

However, some reservists have been known to keep their OHIP (or other provincial health card) up to date in case they cease full-time employment with the military and wish to avoid any mandatory waiting periods; some may also use it to avoid reporting certain conditions to the CF.  (I am not endorsing that behaviour, for the record).

The CF Health system does lack any sort of protocol for use when Reservists start full-time service; they start a new, blank medical file and unless prompted rather heavily they do not seek out previous civilian records.  That lack of background information could be serious (but that's a topic for another discussion).

Petard said:

I believe you are correct in this

Petard said:

It doesn't matter.  The taxes you pay go into the healthcare system that provides the primary medical treatment of your dependents.  If you have no children then it is going to contribute to the health of the next generation or two of workers who will be earning the wages and paying the premiums to keep your various pension funds alive, maintain the infrastructure and support the society you live in as a whole.  Think of it as an investment ;)  All the RRSP's in the world won't do you a damn bit of good if society and the economy as a whole go into the crapper. It may be hard to do when it comes to taxes and your wallet but sometimes IMHO you have to look at the bigger picture.

Petard said:

Let's keep a little perspective here.  We as members pay nothing for our"primary"healthcare so we are not paying twice.  I think there is a blurring of the lines here between our primary health care and the "supplementary" kind of coverage we and our dependents enjoy through the Public Service Health Care Plan (i.e. drug benefits, hospital stays, ambulance services, vision care, chiropractors, physiotherapists, psychologists, etc, etc, etc).  Our Dependents are covered by OHIP (or whatever provincial/territorial plan applies) for their "primary" health care.

Cheryl Gallant......well I think this is just another political opportunity to crusade against any level of Liberal Government.  It's all about politics, IMHO.  Don't get me wrong, the service couple described have fallen through the bureaucratic cracks, are being done an injustice and need help.  The help they need however is in getting OHIP to pay for their child's medical bills because that is who is supposed to be paying.  Instead they are being used to launch a political attack.

So if we exempt Ontario CF members from paying their premium then by extension you would have to provide a rebate to CF members in other provinces an amount of their provincial income taxes that would represent their contribution to their provincial health care system.  Who would then be paying for you dependents?  Your civilian neighbors who pay their premiums/taxes?  The military?

IMHO the reason the CF and RCMP are provided for by the federal government,as outlined in the Canada Health Act, has more to do with the unique requirements of service (overseas deployments, travel, postings, etc) and less to do with giving military members a free ride for their healthcare.

Why are members living in Alberta and B.S. exempt??  ???

PMM, now I see your arguement.  I thought you were talking about OHIP, I didn't know that we paid Ohp.  There's a difference.  I now stand behind you and Cheryl Gallant on trying to eliminate this tax on military personal.
:army:

When the Fed gov't made health care a provincial gov't responsibility they created their own pandora's box.

geo said:
When the Fed gov't made health care a provincial gov't responsibility they created their own pandora's box.
I'm reaching WAY back in my memory for this one, but I seem to remember from my grade 10 Social Science classes that health care IS a provincial responsibility.  The Feds have been getting their hands in the collective pockets of the provinces since I don't know when, but it's not right of them to do so OTHER THAN to ensure that the provinces all have similar services and standards of care.

( yup, it's still the provinces that worry out the funding model for health services)

Back