• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oops. Thirty one pistols missing from Fort Moore

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Oof. That’s a bad day.

If US inventory requirements are like Canadian ones, it's several bad ones - that sounds like at least two 100% inventories were submitted where the weapons may not have been present.

Alternatively, they were transferred to the armourers for some minor repair / technical change and someone forgot to log them out in the system...

If US inventory requirements are like Canadian ones, it's several bad ones - that sounds like at least two 100% inventories were submitted where the weapons may not have been present.

Alternatively, they were transferred to the armourers for some minor repair / technical change and someone forgot to log them out in the system...
US Mil weapons protocols are actually more stringent than Canada (in theory). However in reality a lot of Arms Rooms aren’t necessarily run by the book.

US Mil weapons protocols are actually more stringent than Canada (in theory). However in reality a lot of Arms Rooms aren’t necessarily run by the book.
You’d think that armouries are one of the things that should be run by the book.

You’d think that armouries are one of the things that should be run by the book.

If you ever want to really scare the guy who runs the armoury during an inspection just walk down the rows of rifles going "One... two... three..." and so on ;)

I was I/C Weapons in CFRS Cornwallis. I personally was required to do a 100 % verification of all FNs, and SMGs once per quarter.

In Ft Benning (okay Moore) a lot of Arms Rooms are theoretically run by a Captain, as a tertiary duty that they have zero time in the day to actually oversea, the day to day operations are run by lower rank enlisted with maybe (key word maybe) an E-5 as the supervisor.

Hundreds of weapons go in and out for courses daily, and the Sig M17 (320) serialized part is just the trigger box.

Some Arms Rooms scan in/out with RFID tags, on a M4 that’s affixed to the lower (the serialized item) but there have been several different locations tried for the M17, none that I have seen actually are on the trigger box.

Many other schoolhouse guns are just logged in and out by rack #’s that are spray painted, or paint penned (or laser engraved in some units) on the weapons - usually the pistol grip for pistols (sometimes the slide) and buttstocks for carbines/rifles. The weekly, or course end 100% is supposed to check by S/N - but sometimes folks just check to see that racks are filled.

My guess is they got moved legitimately and incorrectly logged - but due to the nature of the Sig pistol if one wanted to scam the system you could fairly easily take the trigger box out and put the rest of the pistol away.

Theoretically everyone entering the vault signs in and out, and a pat down search is conducted when both entering and leaving.

Lots of theory - but in my experience rarely followed.

Memories of a group of units I heard of in the 90s who had a roving collection of accountable items that moved from unit to unit for inspections, as all were short a few, and write-offs were too much like work.

Memories of a group of units I heard of in the 90s who had a roving collection of accountable items that moved from unit to unit for inspections, as all were short a few, and write-offs were too much like work.

I had to write off an H&K 417 rifle and kit.

Absolutely one of the most difficult things I've done, in the sphere of Supply, but the right thing to do. Tons of checks and approvals, lots of phone calls and interviews.

We had to write off a NBP A-Wave worth of kit during WUPS in 2000 on CHA. The entire ship was watching as the RHIB got 'unstuck' from the US ship we were boarding...then got 'stuck on' again at the wrong point in the swell, and flipped over. C-8, MP-5's, Shotguns, Sig225's...all went down.

We had to write off a NBP A-Wave worth of kit during WUPS in 2000 on CHA. The entire ship was watching as the RHIB got 'unstuck' from the US ship we were boarding...then got 'stuck on' again at the wrong point in the swell, and flipped over. C-8, MP-5's, Shotguns, Sig225's...all went down.

We had that on TOR as well, rolled our RHIB and the NBP lost everything.

That was to work as it was obvious and explainable. My H&K 417 and kit, not to much.

Back