• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Forget it, you're all wrong - he's right. You misunderstood him. Try harder. He didn't call Rouleau out, you misunderstood what he posted.

Same posting style, just six years removed from the last. Don't worry, I went through some of the old ones and didn't have to get far to see the trend.

Yawn is right, the others are wise to this - but you're still the only one in step, yeah?

Scott
Staff

Kind of funny to hear someone pretend that in 4 CMBG there was no consideration as to how well the brigade's soldiers could play hockey.  :rofl:

Hey, I can play this game, (apologies in advance to all the gunners and mortar men, except Horsey):

Basically, since an 81mm mortar, an L5 and an M777 all do indirect fire, their names are interchangeable, too?

::)

3rd Horseman said:
So much for "Deeds not Words"
Larson is a no buddy, Roulue was weak in the Regiment at best other then hockey and being an CMR keener, did he not quiet the CF at one point?

3rd Horseman 

3rd Horseman,

I was on Arty trg with the two brothers named Rouleau and you are confusing them. One was a weak Arty Offr who graduated from CMR, played hockey and went on to become a Colonel Public Affairs Officer (Marc).  Younger brother, Mike, on the other hand did not go to Military College.  He joined as a teenager and was impressive from day one.  He did leave the military at one point after being injured and joined the Ottawa Police Force.  Mike rejoined and resumed his SOF career.  He is battle proven and street smart beyond his years.  If you knew them like I do you would not confuse them for a second -  one would bore you to death and the other would spit chew in your face as his steely-eyed stare brought you to your knees.

Once a Gunner Officer, but never served in 3rd.

ST, there you go letting actual facts come into the discussion.  Rouleau-younger was DCO of 5e RALC as well, and I know the Regt didn't consider Dep Comd to be a fluff position.

Regards
G2G

Simian Turner said:
3rd Horseman,

I was on Arty trg with the two brothers named Rouleau and you are confusing them. One was a weak Arty Offr who graduated from CMR, played hockey and went on to become a Colonel Public Affairs Officer (Marc).  Younger brother, Mike, on the other hand did not go to Military College.  He joined as a teenager and was impressive from day one.  He did leave the military at one point after being injured and joined the Ottawa Police Force.  Mike rejoined and resumed his SOF career.  He is battle proven and street smart beyond his years.  If you knew them like I do you would not confuse them for a second -  one would bore you to death and the other would spit chew in your face as his steely-eyed stare brought you to your knees.

Once a Gunner Officer, but never served in 3rd.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how our PERs SHOULD be written up  :nod:

Sorry about the high jack it was a good thread for that I apologize,

I know them both I did not confuse them. His stare never phased me.

I will depart the thread and let the good discussion continue.

3rd Horseman

3rd Horseman said:
I will depart the thread and let the good discussion continue.

3rd Horseman

That is the best contribution you can make right there.  Thanks  man.

So....back on topic....

Any news from our forces over there?  I scoured the interwebs and found nothing more recent than 31 Jan.

The only hits in the news feed from today are more editorials on the political wordsmith game.  The media seem to be settling to the conclusion that the Conservatives have won; the other parties should stop digging for a scandal in the past and start influencing/looking to the future.

MCG said:
The only hits in the news feed from today are more editorials on the political wordsmith game.  The media seem to be settling to the conclusion that the Conservatives have won; the other parties should stop digging for a scandal in the past and start influencing/looking to the future.
Well, if all there is in the news is stuff on politicians being, well, politicians, then I guess that no news is good news.  Thanks for the update.

krimynal said:
same principles apply .... at the beginning they were there to instruct and mentor , but when it comes down to actually make it happen , you need to follow them , that's a pretty basic and simple fact ... Yet the opposition is trying as hard as they can to make it sound SO bad , to me they just look completely stupid , but that's my personal opinion !

Unless people have been deployed or on any sort of military leadership course that teaches instruction, mentoring, leading, they wont understand "Mentoring" in the mindset of a military member. On those courses, the staff followed along, they took note of what occured, and let you know how you could do it better, effectively, etc. You can not do that from a classroom.

In essence the way they see it happening is,
1. Teach in the class/lesson plan/Battle plan
2. Send them out to the front,
3. Attack or defend an objective.
4. Have the Iraqi explain how it went down.

When it should be
1. Teach in the class/lesson plan/battle plan
2. Send them out to the front, ACCOMPANY
3. Attack or defend an objective. WATCH (Fire back if you are under contact)
4. Have the Iraqi explain how it went down. (Let them perform their own AAR and see how they thought it went)
5. Give the Mentors assessment (inform them of weaknesses and strengths and how they can play their strengths to their advantage)
6. Repeat

SH!t simple, OPSEC plays above all in this case, of course he cant divulge what the SOFCOM true intent is, that just puts them in more harms way.

upandatom said:
.... it should be
1. Teach in the class/lesson plan/battle plan
2. Send them out to the front, ACCOMPANY
3. Attack or defend an objective. WATCH (Fire back if you are under contact)
4. Have the Iraqi explain how it went down. (Let them perform their own AAR and see how they thought it went)
5. Give the Mentors assessment (inform them of weaknesses and strengths and how they can play their strengths to their advantage)
6. Repeat
And if it wasn't for this little quote in the House of Commons ....
.... 30 Sept 2014, Question Period, House of Commons:
Right Hon. Stephen Harper (Prime Minister, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, I said “ advise and assist the Iraqis”.  [English]  If I could just use the terminology in English, it is quite precise. It is to advise and to assist. It is not to accompany. I think that was laid out before the parliamentary committee ..... Mr. Speaker, I just said that Canadian soldiers are not accompanying the Iraqi forces into combat ....
.... the wordsmiths wouldn't have as much to wordsmith about.  It's all about calling a spade a spade, and when people are willing to do so, or not.

The Iraqis would probably do better with a Loan Service approach, something like that operated between Oman and the UK: http://www.defenceviewpoints.co.uk/articles-and-analysis/british-treaty-obligations-to-oman

Loan Service personnel are attached to the Omani military from the UK, wear Omani kit, train and lead Omani troops under this agreement. Most of those I know who have done this were under 2 year contracts that included generous allowances and leave packages.

And they had a hell of a good time. Many went back for more tours.

A fellow I went to high school with, who joined the Light Infantry in the UK, did that. Pretty good wages.

Oh, but then there would be the cries from the usual suspects that we're now supplying mercenaries to regimes here and there.  Good Christ, the amount of tin foil that would be required for hats would eclipse the industrial output efforts of Fort Mac on a good day.

Rifleman62 said:
A fellow I went to high school with, who joined the Light Infantry in the UK, did that. Pretty good wages.

Thats how the Brits operation in IMATT in Sierra Leone, they were making some crazy amount of money 75k Pounds year plus, and it was treated more like a posting, they would spend 1-2 years, but lived on the Compound. It was a great go for them.

From what I gather is they were paid normal wages by the UK and then a "loan wage" for the SL Government capped it off that was basically the Brits giving them more money (Aid money or whatever)that was given the the SL.

upandatom said:
Thats how the Brits operation in IMATT in Sierra Leone, they were making some crazy amount of money 75k Pounds year plus, and it was treated more like a posting, they would spend 1-2 years, but lived on the Compound. It was a great go for them.

From what I gather is they were paid normal wages by the UK and then a "loan wage" for the SL Government capped it off that was basically the Brits giving them more money (Aid money or whatever)that was given the the SL.

I once (foolishly) turned down a job like that in Mozambique. The posting came with a big ranch house, a driver, cook and gardener.

A mate of mine took the job and loved it. Still goes down there for vacations etc....

Article Link

5 February 2015

On 5 February 2015, while taking part in coalition missions in support of Iraqi security forces ground operations conducted northwest of Baghdad, CF-188 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL compound used as a staging area using precision guided munitions.

3 February 2015

On 3 February 2015, while taking part in coalition missions in support of Iraqi security forces ground operations conducted southwest of Mosul, CF-188 Hornets successfully struck an ISIL IED factory and storage facility using precision guided munitions.

As of 1500 (Eastern Standard Time) 4 February 2015, Air Task Force-Iraq conducted 435 sorties:
•CF-188 Hornet fighter jets conducted 284 sorties;
•CC-150T Polaris aerial refueller conducted 72 sorties, delivering some 4,063,000 pounds of fuel to coalition aircraft; and
•CP-140 Aurora aircraft conducted 79 reconnaissance missions.

Back