• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operational Service Medals?

CANFORGEN 138/12 CMP 058/12 051827Z JUL 12
AUTHORITY TO WEAR THE NON-ARTICLE 5 NATO OPERATION UNIFIED PROTECTOR - LIBYA MEDAL
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. PC 2012-951, 28 JUNE 2012

B. CANFORGEN 106/00 ADMHRMIL 064 081930Z SEP 00

C. CANFORGEN 096/09 CMP 042/09 201315Z MAY 09

THE GOVT OF CANADA HAS APPROVED THE ACCEPTANCE AND WEAR OF THE NON-ARTICLE 5 NATO MEDAL FOR SERVICE ON NATO OPERATION UNIFIED PROTECTOR - LIBYA (NATO OUP-LIBYA MEDAL)

THE MEDAL RECOGNIZES 30 CONSECUTIVE OR 60 CUMULATIVE DAYS OF HONOURABLE SERVICE WITH OUP, WHICH BEGAN ON 23 MAR 2011 AND ENDED ON 31 OCT 2011

SERVICE AS PART OF OR IN DIRECT SUPPORT OF OUP WITHIN THE POLITICAL BOUNDARIES, TERRITORIAL WATERS AND AIRSPACE OF LIBYA IS ELIGIBLE AS IS SERVICE IN OR OVER THE CENTRAL SOUTHERN MEDITERRANEAN SEA BETWEEN 10 DEGREES EAST AND 28 DEGREES EAST AND SOUTH OF 41 DEGREES NORTH, AND SERVICE AT THE SUPPORT BASES OF TRAPANI AND SIGONELLA AND AT NATO AND CDN SUPPORTING HQS IN NAPLES AND POGGIO RENATICO (ITALY)

AIRCREW FLYING FROM A LOCATION OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED ABOVE WILL ACCUMULATE ONE DAY OF SVC FOR THE FIRST SORTIE FLOWN INTO THE THEATRE ON ANY DAY. ADDITIONAL SORTIES FLOWN ON THE SAME DAY RECEIVE NO FURTHER CREDIT

UNITS SHALL APPLY ON-LINE IAW REF B FOR THEIR ELIGIBLE MIL AND CIV PERS, ENSURING THAT DIRECTION AT REF C WRT PROOF OF SERVICE IS RESPECTED. APPLICATIONS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE NECESSARY PROOF OF SERVICE WILL BE REJECTED. SPECIFICALLY:

CF PERS MUST HAVE AN UPDATED MPRR THAT SPECIFIES THE ACTUAL DEPLOYED DATES IN THEATRE AND NOT THE DATES OF THE CANADIAN FORCES TASKING PLANS AND OPERATIONS (CFTPO), WHICH OFTEN EXTEND BEYOND DEPLOYED TIME

CIV PERS APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE IDENTIFICATION PAGE OF THE PASSPORT OR THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE INDICATING FULL LEGAL NAME AS WELL AS POSTING OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS INDICATING ACTUAL DATES IN THEATRE AND LOCATIONS WHERE WORK WILL TAKE PLACE

THE NATO OUP-LIBYA MEDAL SHALL FOLLOW THE NON-ARTICLE 5 NATO MEDAL FOR NORTH ATLANTIC COUNCIL APPROVED NATO OPERATIONS AND ACTIVITIES IN RELATION TO AFRICA (NATO AFRICA MEDAL) IN THE CDN ORDER OF PRECEDENCE. A MINIATURE VERSION OF THE QUOTE OUP-LIBYA/LIBYE UNQUOTE BAR IS WORN CENTERED ON THE UNDRESS RIBBON

RIBBON AND MINIATURE BARS WILL BE AVAIL IN THE CF SUPPLY SYSTEM AT A LATER DATE

MORE INFO WILL BE AVAIL ON THE DH R WEB SITE AT HTTP://CMP-CPM.FORCES.MIL.CA/DHR-DDHR

SIGNED BY RADM A. SMITH, CMP

Well that's nice that it's finally taken care of. I wonder how long the turn around will be to get the paperwork in to final presentation. I'll say sometime at the end of summer early fall? Anyone do the Winnipeg trip in 2009 know how long it took from paperwork to presentation.

I wonder if they'll come up with a Canadian medal down the road when they have time and have us hand this one in like they've done for Kosovo.

misratah500 said:
Well that's nice that it's finally taken care of. I wonder how long the turn around will be to get the paperwork in to final presentation. I'll say sometime at the end of summer early fall? Anyone do the Winnipeg trip in 2009 know how long it took from paperwork to presentation.

I wonder if they'll come up with a Canadian medal down the road when they have time and have us hand this one in like they've done for Kosovo.

-Approval to wear NATO Non-Article 5 medal with "Africa bar" appeared in the 24 November 2010 Gazette (based on 09 November 2010 decision)

-First presentation was 06 December 2010 in Halifax for HMCS Fredericton crews who participated in OP SAIPH.

So, with that, it looks to be a relatively fast process. The company in Belgium who makes the UN/NATO medals has had the Libya OUP version on their site for sale for a few months now, so production shouldn't be an issue.

Each NATO  medal is accompanied by a certificate that includes the date that the recipient participated in the Op, so this aspect might take a while as the dates are not necessarily the same as the CFTPO message.

I'm predicting October for the first mass presentations.

Back