• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operational Service Medals?

PPCLI Guy said:
.... processes (streamlined or otherwise) are not the answer.  As always, it is the output that matters, measured in its utility to a) achieving the mission, and b) serving the member.  Those who fail to see the difference are less than useful.  Sadly, many of them end up manning the process ramparts for the remnants of their careers, carefully scanning the horizons for any threats to their "processes".

How about we give commanders at all levels back their nuts and fire the those who screw it up (followed by beheading of those who chose the commander in the first place).  This will allow us to pull down the Guild Houses and lift the shroud of "process" that has driven us to multiple levels of overborne HQs.

Do not confuse support and headquarters.  They are not necessarily the same thing.
and-the-crowd-goes-wild.jpg

+300 from me, too, for PPCLI dude

Regarding CD's being awarded to early in the event the member has done something to negate receipt at the 12 year mark.  Why pull it back and incure all the extra cost?  Stuff it in the RSM's filing cabinet, or in the OR with a note on the PERs file to prevent it being forgotten on a posting until the new due date is reached.  Are there really THAT many issued CDs that would never get issued at all?

$35 Dollars??  I threw away one time use nuts and bolts that cost $1000 or more each, actually I remember one case where a custom fit bolt cost $7500. I know it is apples and oranges, but seriously, 35 dollars X 500 doesn't even cover an F18 launch.  The time spent vetting all this stuff could be put to better use.  I guess I am trying to call it a false economy or a poor use of resources.

My $0.02 worth.

ModlrMike said:
It used to irritate me as a SgtMaj to know that I would nominate someone and that paperwork would face committee at the unit, Area, Army, and then national level. In reality, there should be two committees - unit and national. The rest is for information purposes only.

Here, here!

:goodpost:

Is it  possible to just email someone at DH&R? Do they have a POC for inquires about medals and such? Or public affairs people at that office?

I've spoken with a few folks in my old COC...and they have spoken higher...and nothing is decided yet.

NS

misratah500 said:
Is it  possible to just email someone at DH&R? Do they have a POC for inquires about medals and such? Or public affairs people at that office?

If a decision has not been made, emailing DH&R will not yield anything.

CDN Aviator said:

...other than a terse email back with two words - one starting with 'F' and the other ending with same.

MM

A little info came down via our clerks today on Vancouver today was that Ottawa doesn't consider the awards for OP Mobile a priority right now. So we'll have to wait. I cannot verify this though.

misratah500 said:
A little info came down via our clerks today on Vancouver today was that Ottawa doesn't consider the awards for OP Mobile a priority right now. So we'll have to wait. I cannot verify this though.

Of course not. They're too busy trying to figure out if the War of 1812 pin should be worn just this year or until 2014. ::)

CDN Aviator said:

Official DH&R reply:

"Regrettably, there's not much to say except that a proposal was forwarded to the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall for consideration by the Government Honours Policy Committee at Privy Council Office (PCO) to have the NATO medal for Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR in Libya [Op MOBILE] approved for wear by Canadians. Machinery of Government at PCO is the place where the Order-in-Council approval process occurs and this process can be lengthy and remains "honours in confidence" throughout.

We are hopeful, however, that an official announcement will come from the Government soon, at which point, DH&R will be able to get our related information/communication package rolling. Normally this includes an internal CANFORGEN with instructions for Units and CF Members about the criteria & medal application process; this also includes website updates; and afterwards, everything should fall into place and medals should be issued to eligible recipients as quickly as possible."

misratah500 said:

From what I have seen that is not the case - at all.  Keep in mind that there is a lot of co-ordination needed - CF, NATO, political, and finally the Governor General.

There is also the consideration of finding a good time to announce and present the awards, though - if the government is in the middle of a big push for something else, this could get little or no notice; to this government's credit, they've tried to ensure that military recognition gets media attention and is the focus of their messaging when it takes place.

and out of left field:

New honour for Canadian vets from Second World War Bomber Command
at 14:35 on June 25, 2012, EDT.
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Canadian airmen who flew with Bomber Command during the Second World War are getting recognition 67 years after their service.

The Conservative government is announcing that a special bar will be struck to be worn on the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal.

At the end of the war, special medals were awarded for various campaigns, but none was given to those who flew in the long and dangerous bombing campaign.

Many air force veterans have lobbied for recognition and the government has been working on the problem for several years.

One problem was that the campaign medals were awarded by Britain and Canada couldn't alter them by adding a bar.

The service medal, however, was a Canadian decoration and similar bars were given for service at Dieppe and Hong Kong.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay said the new bar will recognize the service and sacrifice of Bomber Command flyers.

"With the production of this bar, our government is honouring those Canadians who fought for peace, freedom and democracy through their service in Bomber Command operations over Europe," Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney said.

About 10,000 Canadian airmen were killed while serving with Bomber Command.

The bombing campaign has long been controversial because it killed as many as 600,000 Germans, many of them civilians.

http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/portal/NewsChannel.aspx?ArticleID=news/capfeed/national/19190723.xml&CatID=National

dapaterson said:
...there is a lot of co-ordination needed - CF, NATO, political, clerks in Vancouver, and finally the Governor General.
I'm glad I've moved past the point in my career where I've gotten too concerned about gossip.

eliminator said:
and out of left field:

http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/portal/NewsChannel.aspx?ArticleID=news/capfeed/national/19190723.xml&CatID=National

Maybe that would be because the number of people who were ever involved in bomber command is dwindling a bit faster than more recent operations?

Danjanou said:
Of course not. They're too busy trying to figure out if the War of 1812 pin should be worn just this year or until 2014. ::)

Now now, don't you go mentioning 1814 and the solid butt kicking that the British got at New Orleans, which closed out a fuzzy and inconclusively wierd conflict. Everyone knows that the war ended right after the Whitehouse was burned down, right?  ::)

On the other hand, maybe we should adopt the Johnny Horton ballad about the battle of New Orleans as the unofficial theme song for the 1812 commemoration events?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxB42cjHTGg

That bomber command thing was definitely out of left field. And a special pin for the war of 1812 jeez.

Strike said:
Please explain why you think that is then.

Just the timing really. The fact that this is happening almost 70 years after the fact raises some eyebrows. IMO, it's an incredibly slippery slope and sets a precedent for other WWII groups who will want some sort of special recognition for their particular contributions.

From what I've been told and have read, the Bomber Command veterans were/are a special group. They took on incredible risks during their missions, with a devastating percentage of aircrew never returning from even one mission. Following the awarding of the Air Crew Europe Star, some felt that it was never enough. For years, veterans groups advocated for a special bar/medal/award for Bomber Command, but it never happened. Nobody wanted to set a precedent, for fear that other groups would want similar recognition. The issue faded from the limelight. So, why now? Did some veterans ban together in their final years on this earth to give-er one last push? Or is it the work of some self-serving lobby group? I fear the latter.

So, here we are, in about a year, the few remaining Bomber Command veterans or family members will start getting their bar in the mail. I predict that other groups like "Fighter Command" will use this to institute additional similar bars. I'm sure by the year 2030 it will all be sorted out.

This might be an odd comparison, but just imagine those who served "outside the wire" in KAF getting a special bar for their GCS 70 years from now.

I personally view such decisions in the same boat as the Sacrifice Medal. While there was already recognition in the form of a Wound Stripe, someone felt that "it wasn't good enough" and advocated for the SM. Was it surviving wounded CF members or their families who pushed for this, or was it an action group? I'm not sure. Again, I point to the slippery slope, and in the next year or so you will witness a civil version of the Sacrifice Medal for police/fire/emergency/etc. Much like the range of no less than currently six "Exemplary Service Medals" that could have been captured with one medal. (Basically, non-RCMP police wanted a long service medal like the RCMP, then fire services, then corrections, then coast guard, etc, etc... Again, slippery slope.

I'm sad to say as soon as I heard this bomber command bar; all I could think was what a great way for the current government to appear to be looking after vet's before their summer break.

Political smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned.

Vol. 146, No. 15 — July 18, 2012

Registration

SI/2012-51 July 18, 2012

OTHER THAN STATUTORY AUTHORITY

Non-Article 5 North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Medal for Services on Operations and Activities in Relation to Africa Order

P.C. 2012-951 June 28, 2012

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister,

(a) authorizes Canadians to accept and wear the Non-Article 5 North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Medal for Service on NATO Operation “UNIFIED PROTECTOR - LIBYA”, in recognition of honourable service; and

(b) directs that the Medal follow the Non-Article 5 NATO Medal for Service on Operations and Activities Approved by the North Atlantic Council in Relation to Africa in the order of precedence in the Canadian Honours System.

NOTICE:
The format of the electronic version of this issue of the Canada Gazette was modified in order to be compatible with extensible hypertext markup language (XHTML 1.0 Strict).

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2012/2012-07-18/html/si-tr51-eng.htm

Back