• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunities for optometrists

eyeod

Inactive
Reaction score
Thought it would be most appropriate to ask this question here.

I was an Air Cadet for five years as a teen and have always contemplated joining the Canadian Forces.  I'm currently an optometry student and from my searching, it seems that there are no opportunities available for optometrists in the CF; I was a little surprised at this because vision is so important in the Canadian Forces!  Is anyone aware of any opportunities available to optometrists? 

Thanks

Not that I've seen - we do employ ophthalmic technologists on some bases to do some of the routine refractions and quick curbside consults for us...it actually used to be a sub-specialty course for medics but got phased out.

MM

While there may be no opportunity for employment in the CF as an optometrist, you might be suitable for BioScience Officer. Contact recruiting, the worst that can happen is they say no. Another option is to join as an HCA and work on the side.

Thanks for the quick replies MM and ModlrMike!

That's disappointing.  Optometrists could provide a great service to the Canadian Forces - we pretty much handle all primary care for the eyes nowadays (authorised to rx meds etc.) and I'm sure due to the nature of the work, a lot of personnel do experience eye problems.  I have a few acquaintances who are ODs for the US military and it seems like such rewarding work.
I have a passion for the eyes and have always wanted to be an optometrist (following in my mother's footsteps) so I can't really see myself performing another role; I'm sure the MDs, DDSs, Pharmacists, RNs etc. on here can relate!
I guess there are CF ophthalmologists that handle the eyes?

We usually refer out to civilian ophthalmologists these days - it's been awhile since we had one in uniform...well Regular Force anyway.  Like Mike said, there are other potential options - the worst you can do is ask and they say no.

MM

Thanks MM, I'll ask my local recruiter about opportunities.

I've never touched a lens grinder and probably never will; I guess you must be confusing me with an optician.

Pretty witty though!  ;D

eyeod said:
I guess there are CF ophthalmologists that handle the eyes?

No uniformed opticians, ophthalmologists, or optometrists.  We use all contracted civilian services in garrison.

Oversees we use a 24 hour e-mail consult and telephone consult service to a ophthalmologist.  It is a 24 hour rotating service out of the US that is mostly staffed out of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Madigan Army Medical Center, Brooke Army Medical Center and Lackland Air Force Base.  Seems to work rather well. In my time in theatre there was no deployed coalition ophthalmologist, nor talk about getting one. We did get a weekly update from the US Ophthalmology Adviser on how we were doing with the cases that made it back to the US.  Seem that all was well with respect to casualty management for the most case. 

When I was down in the US doing some training in Texas they were running a four day short-course on military ophthalmology for people that were deploying. Has a cross section of Nursing Officer, Medical Officers, and PA's on the course.  Looked pretty interesting from the outline that I saw and people I talked with during break who were taking it.

Good luck on your schooling.

MC

Thanks MC.  I think the best the thing for me to do is revisit the issue once I graduate.  I'm toying with the idea of a PhD and maybe could fill some sort of R&D role with that although I'd rather be a clinician.

Hi eyeod,
I found your comments on this forum, and I want to know if you are still interested in practising on a CAF base.
I know over 10 years have passed since your post. Are you in Ontario, and can you practice two days a week on base?
The current remuneration is $140.00 every two years. Other tests are billable with pre-authorization, OCT, Retina photo, and VF.
Space and diagnostic equipment are provided.

Hi eyeod,
I found your comments on this forum, and I want to know if you are still interested in practising on a CAF base.
I know over 10 years have passed since your post. Are you in Ontario, and can you practice two days a week on base?
The current remuneration is $140.00 every two years. Other tests are billable with pre-authorization, OCT, Retina photo, and VF.
Space and diagnostic equipment are provided.
Hello,

I’m an optometrist in Canada interested in working for the CF as well. I’m based in Edmonton but willing to travel for full time work. Please message me

Contacting Calian is an option, they provide contracted health care professionals to the CAF, and possibly to other organizations as well.

Hi ODYEG96,
Thank you for contacting me.
I will get back to you with all the details within the next 2-3 weeks. I am in the lease negotiation stage. I can tell you that we are
planning on a September opening, and the location is in Ontario.
Do you prefer an auto phoropter or a manual phoropter?

Hello,

I’m an optometrist in Canada interested in working for the CF as well. I’m based in Edmonton but willing to travel for full time work. Please message me
Hi ODYEG96,
I will get back to you with all the details within 2-3 weeks. I am in the lease negotiation stage. I can tell you that we are

Hi ODYEG96,
I will get back to you with all the details within 2-3 weeks. I am in the lease negotiation stage. I can tell you that we are
Just for the sake of clarity on the message thread. Please confirm if you're looking for a uniformed member or if this is going to be a civilian/Calian/BayShore HealthCare contract. Thanks :)

Back