• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

If going on Reserves BMQ, ask permission first before bringing/wearing (let alone purchasing) your own Gucci non issued kit like boots, gloves, small pack. I had bought my own boots and gloves, but was not allowed to wear them until we did the field portion for BMQ and Land.

Likewise for Reserves BMQ, I did two separate BMQ (one for a weekend and the other was full time in the summer), no issues bringing and having a cell phone on you. But DON'T ever use it unless you and the platoon are on your 'own time'. Good idea to have snacks and change to buy snacks or a cold pop if there's a vending machine (never know when you get served rock hard pork mess for dinner or you had a long hot day of training and a cold pop is as close as it gets to a beer). For the field, get a headlamp with the red light. These things will do wonders if you are setting up a hootchie when it's pitch dark. Also get a mirror (how else you going to apply cam paint and shave) from the camping section at Canadian Tires or MEC.

And finally, get a bore snake, carbon scraper (https://www.google.ca/search?q=carbon+scraper+ar+15&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAhrG705bWAhXBjJQKHeUfDP8Q_AUICigB&biw=1046&bih=635), and a empty spray bottle to fill it up with CLP. If you do a Reserves BMQ, you won't have much of your 'own time' to clean your weapon, your other kit, and study before inspection next morning. A bore snake will do wonders in cleaning your bore in a matter of 5x pulls of the bore snake vs. endless pulls of swab pads to clear out the carbon. Likewise a carbon scraper will get the hardened carbon off the bolt carrier group much faster than the brushes provided in the cleaning kit issued. And why pour CLP from a bottle when you can evenly spray it over the parts?

canucksnation said:
If going on Reserves BMQ, ask permission first before bringing/wearing (let alone purchasing) your own Gucci non issued kit like boots, gloves, small pack. I had bought my own boots and gloves, but was not allowed to wear them until we did the field portion for BMQ and Land.

Likewise for Reserves BMQ, I did two separate BMQ (one for a weekend and the other was full time in the summer), no issues bringing and having a cell phone on you. But DON'T ever use it unless you and the platoon are on your 'own time'. Good idea to have snacks and change to buy snacks or a cold pop if there's a vending machine (never know when you get served rock hard pork mess for dinner or you had a long hot day of training and a cold pop is as close as it gets to a beer). For the field, get a headlamp with the red light. These things will do wonders if you are setting up a hootchie when it's pitch dark. Also get a mirror (how else you going to apply cam paint and shave) from the camping section at Canadian Tires or MEC.

And finally, get a bore snake, carbon scraper (https://www.google.ca/search?q=carbon+scraper+ar+15&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAhrG705bWAhXBjJQKHeUfDP8Q_AUICigB&biw=1046&bih=635), and a empty spray bottle to fill it up with CLP. If you do a Reserves BMQ, you won't have much of your 'own time' to clean your weapon, your other kit, and study before inspection next morning. A bore snake will do wonders in cleaning your bore in a matter of 5x pulls of the bore snake vs. endless pulls of swab pads to clear out the carbon. Likewise a carbon scraper will get the hardened carbon off the bolt carrier group much faster than the brushes provided in the cleaning kit issued. And why pour CLP from a bottle when you can evenly spray it over the parts?
Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeyondTheNow said:
Not quite sure how to interpret your tone there...frustration towards the answer I provided or frustration with the optometrists' office or both...
In any event, you asked, I answered. Staff might not make a big deal, but it saves the optometrist there some work.

FYI ref your lasik. I haven't read your previous posts, so don't know when you're heading to BMQ. But you absolutely have to inform your CoC when the time comes/wherever you are that you're getting the procedure done. There's actually a medical policy on it and it says you "have a duty to consult" your CoC. Being that you'd be in the training phase of your career, that can affect things in certain instances and you could risk getting removed from a course. Anyway, there are proper channels that have to be followed and there's also the possibility of being put on a category afterwards. Just a heads up...

I'm grateful for your answer. I know it was my fault for waiting but seriously i didn't think it'd be a cause for concern. Its one photocopy. I even offered her money to photocopy.

Guess i better learn a new vocabulary before enlistment. I do swear alot so i'll work on that...one day at a time. I quit drinking & smoking..i'm sure i can give up the f's and shots.

Thanks all.
Que sera sera.

Swearing's part of military life.

Just be careful about how you direct it, and at whom.

Your Recruiters, Instructors, and Leaders are, generally (you will find exceptions, sadly) trying to help you to the best of their ability.

That's not always obvious, and abilities vary, but showing respect and courtesy - even when they are not even around - will do you more good than slinging insults.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
I do swear alot so i'll work on that...one day at a time.

"Swearing is Expected in the Military"
http://www.highspeedlowdrag.org/6-bad-habits/

Good luck at BMQ, FLAE.

"Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate motherfucker."

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
I'm grateful for your answer. I know it was my fault for waiting but seriously i didn't think it'd be a cause for concern. Its one photocopy. I even offered her money to photocopy.

Guess i better learn a new vocabulary before enlistment. I do swear alot so i'll work on that...one day at a time. I quit drinking & smoking..i'm sure i can give up the f's and shots.

Thanks all.
Que sera sera.

Congrats for taking positive steps to improve your health.

I'll flat out admit that I simply just don't 'get' smoking. I tried it in my early teens once or twice and after coughing up a lung thought, "Well, not missing anything there." 'Didn't touch it again. As far as drinking is concerned, practically everyone enjoys a cold beer and/or a few drinks with friends. I'm not a big drinker anymore (had my fun when I was much younger), but, personally speaking, as long as your habits don't interfere with your duties and/or any physical training you'd like to improve/maintain, then all's good.

Echoing posts above, swearing isn't an issue a lot of the time. (My favourite curse on course became "Jesus f**k!" Mostly said during times of frustration and annoyance. Swearing is an excellent stress-reliever for me.) But, as with everything, there is a time and a place. Even on course, filters are required. You'll learn this.

Good luck going forward.

Hey everyone, i have spent the last few days reading all 28 pages and a handful of the links provided(i get sworn in on November 1st and i fly out November 11Th to start bmq in the 13Th. Lots if time to kill), i have a few questions that didn't seem to get answered.

Gum... i didn't see it on the prohibited list and tends to be an iffy item. If allowed i plan to bring or have shipped enough for bmq.

1. Does anyone see gum being taking away or not allowed.

I planed on packing my stuff into a 45L camping bag, this will leave me room for thing on the list and anything i may acquire well at bmq.

2. Anyone recommend against  this? If so why?

In my opinion the 3 months notice creates a lot of anxiety by proxy. I feel its great amount of time for my wife and kids to adjust to the idea, but feel its a long time to wait, id much rather a month to get my things in order.

Bonaccorsog said:
Gum... i didn't see it on the prohibited list and tends to be an iffy item. If allowed i plan to bring or have shipped enough for bmq.

1. Does anyone see gum being taking away or not allowed.

You will be taught this on BMQ but here is what the dress regulation say about gum in uniform:

Personnel in uniform shall
comport themselves in a manner which projects a
positive military appearance. Behaviour such as
chewing gum, slouching, placing hands in pockets,
smoking or eating on the street and walking hand in
hand, is forbidden. This instruction’s objective is to
project an image of a disciplined and self-controlled
force.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a white toothbrush/soap case; went to Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Dollarama and couldn't find one. So I ordered one off amazon but when it came in the mail I found it wasn't white but translucent. Does anyone know somewhere that for sure sells toothbrush/soap cases?

Kaiserschlact 1918 said:
I'm having a heck of a time finding a white toothbrush/soap case; went to Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Dollarama and couldn't find one. So I ordered one off amazon but when it came in the mail I found it wasn't white but translucent. Does anyone know somewhere that for sure sells toothbrush/soap cases?

Your platoon, within the first week, will make a trip to the Canex. They sell them there. Your staff will make sure everyone purchases the same items, and if I remember correctly, they only come in white. Keep and eye out though, as I know I've seen them. (Dollarama, Walmart, etc) But if you absolutely can't find any, yes, you'll have the opportunity to purchase them on base.

Hey everyone, just a quick question about the winter jacket, is it okay if it has a logo on it? I got it from a previous job, and it has the companies logo on it. So I am just wondering if I would catch hell for having it?

FinnO25 said:
Hey everyone, just a quick question about the winter jacket, is it okay if it has a logo on it? I got it from a previous job, and it has the companies logo on it. So I am just wondering if I would catch hell for having it?

There shouldn’t be a problem assuming it’s nothing that can be construed inappropriately.

If you need it, you’ll only be wearing your own winter jacket until you get issued your kit at some point during the first week. After that, only on weekends after indoc and assuming you don’t get stuck as duty platoon.

Hello, I am not sure if these questions has been answered, there is alot of posts here; I know that shampoo is a required item, but is body wash acceptable? and if so would a bar of soap/dish still be required for inspection. Also a multi tool was recommended on a previous post, would that not be considered a restricted item as it would contain a knife? Lastly, I plan to bring my supplies and cloths in a large hard shell luggage beg. Will there be a storage area for this after is unloaded to my locker/desk. Thank you.

You can wash yourself with whatever you like but you will have a bar of soap and a soap dish in your layout. The staff will check the bar of soap to make sure it has been used, so at least use it to wash your hands once in a while.
Most of your supplies/clothes will stay in your suitcase in the storage room while you are at BMQ. After the first week you will have your uniform issued. 
As for te multitool, we were not allowed on my platoon. But different rules for different platoons.

Matthard said:
I am not sure if these questions has been answered, there is alot of posts here;

Matthard said:
is body wash acceptable?

Body-wash BMQ
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+body+wash+bmq&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gws_rd=ssl

Matthard said:
Also a multi tool was recommended on a previous post, would that not be considered a restricted item as it would contain a knife?

Multi-tool BMQ
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=f-L6Wu2fBoX85gKEmIgg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+multi+tool&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+multi+tool&gs_l=psy-ab.3...111496.119179.0.119816.27.20.1.0.0.0.161.1952.14j6.20.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..10.0.0....0.3biTGtq06uc

Matthard said:
Will there be a storage area for this after is unloaded to my locker/desk.

Storage BMQ
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=euP6Wp_XKaHI5gKXs6C4Cg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+storage&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+storage&gs_l=psy-ab.3...18598.23261.0.23587.17.14.0.0.0.0.128.1290.10j4.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..5.0.0....0.9Gh18hmDjz4

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

paleomedic said:
You can wash yourself with whatever you like but you will have a bar of soap and a soap dish in your layout. The staff will check the bar of soap to make sure it has been used, so at least use it to wash your hands once in a while.
Most of your supplies/clothes will stay in your suitcase in the storage room while you are at BMQ. After the first week you will have your uniform issued. 
As for te multitool, we were not allowed on my platoon. But different rules for different platoons.

Ref the using of hygiene items out for inspection—This is completely up to your staff and their expectations vary. I’ve seen it where, yes, they check, look for hair, make sure mouthwash is being used, etc. And there are others who openly encourage ‘ghost kits.’ So make sure you have everything you need for inspection and it’s laid out properly. The finer details, meaning what staff is expecting WRT each item, will become clear very, very quickly.

BeyondTheNow said:
And there are others who openly encourage ‘ghost kits.’

For applicants unfamiliar with "ghost kits", a few opinions,
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:army.ca+%22ghost+kit%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=o3D7WpeRFOGc5wKOgbyACw&start=0&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=603

Back