• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid Education [Merged]

I felt it was early in the fiscal year as well and then I thought to myself I wonder how we plan on paying the new education benefits available to pers who leave the military after 6 years.... Hopefully it sorts itself out in the next two months

hattrick72,

There is an ongoing shift WRT higher education. The changes will be longer than 6 months, more like multi-year.

The changes are affecting everyone, but budgets are not funded for the demand from those who qualify.

Mediman14 said:
This might be an obvious answer to this but, ref ILP, Ill and injured, I assume that is referring to JPSU members?

I spoke to the BPSO about that the other day and it isn't just for JPSU members but anyone who is likely to be medically released. A good example would be someone on a three year retention. The main differences are that it isn't as restrictive as the normal ERP but a MO has to sign off that you can do the training within your MELs.

Another thing many people do not know is that (in my unit and probably others) you are able to request a laptop from the IT guys (WTISS (Air Force)) and keep it for the duration of the program you are taking. Many say 10 - 30 days but I just told them what I was using it for and have had it for over a year now. I've shared this information and two other people have received them as well. Saves some of you from going out and buying a new laptop or computer for online courses.

Question for the brain trust re education reimbursment.

CBI 210.80 states:
210.80 - Tuition Fees, Books and Instruments - Officers and Non-Commissioned Members of the Regular Force at Canadian Military Colleges, Universities, Academic Institutes or Courses not within the Canadian Forces

210.80(1) (Application) This instruction applies to an officer or non-commissioned member of the Regular Force who is in receipt of pay and allowances, or who is in receipt of an allowance under CBI 205.461 (Maternity and Parental Allowances), and who is enrolled in an authorized full-time or part-time course subsidized by the Canadian Forces, but it does not apply to a member who is authorized to accept a scholarship.

210.80(2) (Reimbursement) An officer or non-commissioned member to whom this instruction applies shall have paid on their behalf or have reimbursed at public expense: (emphasis mine)
a.while attending a Canadian Military College, all fees and expenses prescribed in the Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Military Colleges (Volume IV of the QR&O, Appendix 6.1); or
b.while attending a university, an institute or a course; i.the cost of tuition, student union or council fees, registration fees, library fees and student health fees; and
ii.subject to the approval of the Chief of the Defence Staff, other similar fees levied by a university or other academic institution.

210.80(3) (Other costs incurred) Subject to the approval of the Chief of the Defence Staff, an officer or non-commissioned member to whom subparagraph (2)(b) applies may be reimbursed such portion as may be determined by the approving authority of the member's actual and reasonable expenses necessarily incurred for:
a.the purchase of books and instruments; and
b.if undertaking post graduate training, pre-enrolment application fees, required entrance examination fees and the preparation of a thesis.

210.80(4) (Subsequent subsidization) When, at a date subsequent to the commencement of an academic year, the full-time subsidized plan first applies to an officer or non-commissioned member who is attending a university, the member is entitled to the payments described in subparagraph (2)(b) and paragraph (3) for that academic year.

If I read this right, approval of an ILP is merely an administrative process. As long as the paper work is correct, and you check all the correct boxes, it will be approved.

Tcm621 said:
If I read this right, approval of an ILP is merely an administrative process.

Regarding ILP,

All things Individual Learning Plan/ILP (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/27773.25

Tcm621 said:
Question for the brain trust re education reimbursment.

CBI 210.80 states:
If I read this right, approval of an ILP is merely an administrative process. As long as the paper work is correct, and you check all the correct boxes, it will be approved.

If you are referring to "education reimbursement" then CBI 210.80 is not the reference you should be looking at.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-paid-education/education-reimbursement.page
Education Reimbursement

The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) recognizes that education is the best investment an organization can make toward the development of its members. Military personnel who upgrade their education not only can keep up with the latest technologies but enhance their critical thinking skills and develop innovative responses to a myriad of issues.

Education Reimbursement Programs

Under current policies, there are several programs available to current  CAF members who wish to pursue further education.  Eligible members, including reservists, may claim reimbursement of education, training, and professional certification expenses, in whole or in part, under a series of Education Reimbursement (ER) programs.

There are three programmes available:

ADM HR Mil Instruction 17/04 - Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force;

CBI 210.802 - Skills Completion Programme;

 CBI 210.801 - Education Reimbursement for the Primary Reserve.

Regular Force Members

The ADM HR Mil 17/04 Instruction explains the ER program that provides financial assistance to Regular Force officers and Non-Commissioned Members who, through part-time study, wish to up-grade their educational or professional qualifications in the interest of the CAF .

Reserve Force Members

ER for members of the Primary Reserve provides for the reimbursement of up to 50% with a maximum of $2,000 per Academic Year of education expenses as defined in CBI 210.801. Only members studying towards a degree or diploma at a Canadian university or college are eligible. The maximum benefit $8,000 per career.

Skills Completion Program

The Skills Completion Program (SCP) reimburses education and certification expenses for eligible members to upgrade their military skills and experience to a civilian equivalent or certification level for second career (civilian employment) up to a maximum of $5,400.

Need Assistance

For more information on approved courses or programs, Individual Learning Plan (ILP) application, and reimbursement please email your inquiries to +ILP-Help-Desk@forces.gc.ca

Blackadder1916 said:
If you are referring to "education reimbursement" then CBI 210.80 is not the reference you should be looking at.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-paid-education/education-reimbursement.page

From CF Mil Per inst 17/04 ( Old Adm HR Mill inst):

Approval Authority
This Instruction is issued by ADM (HR-Mil) under the financial authority provided in CBI 210.80.

They both are relevant.

Is it true that if the course, is less than a year (half a year). It will not count, towards the education plan?

Sounds like a question for your BPSO. I have used it to write some piloting exams, took me a couple hours. The rules are constantly changing so ymmv.

My apologies if this is the wrong board. I am 6 months away from 3b release. I am applying to do some courses and get approved thru ILP(s). However, one of the courses ends three weeks after my release. I mention this to my CoC who said for me to get SISIP to pay for that and have ILP for the other. I have never heard of having both at the same time, is this even a thing?
The other suggestion was to scrap the ILP, just do the SISIP way!

Any thoughts on which way to proceed?

:subbies:

Mediman14,

As with anything, being concise when referring to programs, benefits and who offers them is important t o avoid confusion.

- ILP path:
    Pros-you can attend any jammy TD or taskings that you look forward to.
          - Leaves upcoming SISIP Rehab training available for a different option.
    Cons - Paying up for the course(s) up front and
            - Must continue working normal CAF hours, duties ect…

- VRPSM, 6 months pre-release (Vocational Rehabilitation Program for Serving Members):
      Pros- SISIP pays the school directly for your course(s)
            -still subject to NDA, leave policy ect...but no uniforms, duties. Mostly spend time in classes or release process
      Cons-SISIP Vocational Rehab is tied into VRPSM.
            -Ask yourself, Is it worth burning 2 years SISIP Voc Rehab to pay for 3 weeks?

After your release medical you have access to:

- SISIP Vocational Rehabilitation, 2 years maximum, limited by your MELs, and
- VAC Vocational Rehabilitation, case by case depending assessed by your CM

If you've served more than 6 or 12 years, you also have access to:
- VAC Education Training Benefit: 6yrs service=$40,000 and 12+yrs service=$80,000 max.
-ETB is not limited by MELs. Can be used for accredited University, College or training programs.
        - Option to use little known ETB benefit for "self-interest" courses, $5000 max, instead of the $40,000 / $80,000.

I hope this helps.

Kratz,
  Yes, the info you provided is helpful. Thanks. ILP would be the best route.
As I mention prior, the issue I have encountered is that one of courses is a high school upgrade that is required for acceptance into the program I would like to enrol in. This course unfortunately finishes two - three weeks after my release. Therefore, ILP will not reimburse me for this course. What is the likeliness of getting a delay of release date request approved?

Mediman14 said:
What is the likeliness of getting a delay of release date request approved?

For reference to the discussion, see also,

Delay of Release Date 

Mediman14 said:
CANFORGEN 094/10 indicates that a Mbrs Release date can be delayed to allow completion of Education Upgrading thru ILP. In my case, wanting to complete high school Chemistry - starts 7 Jan 2019 - ends in May. Release date is April.

Has anyone ever asked for a delay in Release Date, something similar as above?  If so, is there very many hoops to jump thru?

Medical Release ( merged )

Mediman14 said:
Can a medical release date be changed by a month or two if requested?

Delay of Release Date 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/101344.0
Mediman14 : "I am just wondering if anyone had ever heard of anyone getting a 3b medical release from the RegF asking for a change of release date, a delay of say 90 days?
If so what would be the procedure to do so, and who would the memo be address to?"

If you are on a medical release then you should have a disclosure package and release message with some directions in it.  Release dates can be changed by the release authority (DCBA??) on the message.  It does require the mbr submitting the request with all the required info - ie date and reasons.  If it is good they will issue another message amending the release date to accommodate you. 

Hello folks, I seem to have cleared everything for my Primary Reserves Direct Entry Officer application (CFAT, PT, Medical, Interview, and Officer Review Board) and am awaiting my final clearances and offer for enrollment. In the mean time, I'm still working on the back-end to get the Human Resources of my employer to give me the green light for time-off without pay.

One of the issues I still haven't resolved is money. During mandatory training (BMQ, BMOQ-Army, Trades), I will be paid as an OCdt, which is significantly lower than what I make compared in the civilian world. Because I support my family, I will be taking a significant financial hit. In order to minimize that hit, I'm wondering if I can use the education fund to offset some of the cost. Namely:

Instead of enrolling in school or taking a course, I use the allotted education amount for part time reservists ($2000 annually, $8000 maximum overall), and use that towards paying my rent and whatnot during mandatory training periods. Has anyone done this, or know if this is possible? In a way, it is still being used to offset training cost, so it's not unethical.

ACE_Engineer said:
. . .  In order to minimize that hit, I'm wondering if I can use the education fund to offset some of the cost. Namely:

Instead of enrolling in school or taking a course, I use the allotted education amount for part time reservists ($2000 annually, $8000 maximum overall), and use that towards paying my rent and whatnot during mandatory training periods. Has anyone done this, or know if this is possible? In a way, it is still being used to offset training cost, so it's not unethical.

Read this and see if you want to ask the question again.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-210-misc-entitlements-grants.page#sec-801

I understand that the regulation is pretty clear: an approved university or college course only. I'm just trying to find possible ways I can afford to take the required time off. If you have any advice in this regard, I would appreciate it.

ACE_Engineer said:
I'm just trying to find possible ways I can afford to take the required time off.

You can ask your employer if they have a paid Military Leave policy. It should be in your Collective Agreement ( if you have one ).

My employer kept us on Leave With Pay for two weeks every calendar year for military training,

"Employees can take a leave of absence with pay, for the two week period of absence, to attend the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Training Program.

The maximum period of absence is two weeks in a calendar year.

Employees are paid their regular pay provided they submit any compensation received for military service to the city treasurer, unless this compensation is paid for days they are not scheduled to work.

Compensation received for travelling expenses and meal allowance does not have to be returned to the city.

All benefits continue during the leave.

An employee's service is not affected by the leave. An employee's vacation entitlement, and pension credit do not change."

That was only two weeks per year. But, they paid off each and every year you served in the Reserve. So, it added up over the years.

Once you start earning with the PRes, that will help compensate toward the financial loss you took with your full-time job to get your PRes career started.

ACE_Engineer said:
Hello folks, I seem to have cleared everything for my Primary Reserves Direct Entry Officer application (CFAT, PT, Medical, Interview, and Officer Review Board) and am awaiting my final clearances and offer for enrollment. In the mean time, I'm still working on the back-end to get the Human Resources of my employer to give me the green light for time-off without pay.

One of the issues I still haven't resolved is money. During mandatory training (BMQ, BMOQ-Army, Trades), I will be paid as an OCdt, which is significantly lower than what I make compared in the civilian world. Because I support my family, I will be taking a significant financial hit. In order to minimize that hit, I'm wondering if I can use the education fund to offset some of the cost. Namely:

It would be fraud and very much unethical. A lot of reservists take a hit to attend training, its pretty normal. My understanding is that after completing BMOQ, if you have a degree, you would be promoted to 2nd lieutenant which pays better. The best thing you can do is plan ahead and put money aside.

Back