• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay Raise For Fiscal Year 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with that.  I think if you start comparing then you have to look at benefits, cost of living, deployments and taskings etc etc.  i think you have to look within Canada and how we live, not other countries.

i agree with Crantor as Geography makes all the difference just in Canada.  We make a decent living where we are, but if we were posted West, we couldnt do it financially.

Housing is the only thing that is more expensive out here on the west coast, if you can crack the real estate market you are in, then any posting out east should be easy... Although housing prices are creeping up all over the place!

Crantor said:
I disagree with that.  I think if you start comparing then you have to look at benefits, cost of living, deployments and taskings etc etc.  i think you have to look within Canada and how we live, not other countries.

That is true however in order to appease the average Canadian with little or no military knowlege or background, this information would be usefull by giving them a warm fuzzy that we are not ripping them off.

One other interesting point:

Since the tax free amount on deployed missions is tied to the maxinum earnings of an NCM, the introduction of new pay scales for the Canadian Forces Chief Warrant Officer means that a number of officers will see their tax-free take increased.

With the CFCWO pay topping out at $7590 per month, that means officers up to Major IPC 1 (general service officers) will see 100% of their pay tax-free when deployed on missions.  That used to top out for Captain IPC 5 or 6.

Note that this is my interpretation of the rules, after reviewing the regulations from Sept 2004; DND's central beancounters have yet to announce this.

The deduction will be limited to the lesser of the employment income earned while serving on the mission and the maximum rate of pay earned by a non-commissioned member of the Canadian Forces to the extent that the employment income is included in computing the taxpayer's income for the year.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/drleg/ITAn_08-04_2e.html

I got posted this summer.  Since the pay raise is effective Apr 1, does this affect the posting allowance which is based on the member's pay?

That's a good question.  I assumed so, but RLRS told me no because it's backdated pay and it says in the benefits guide that backdated pay doesn't apply.  But we KNEW we were getting a raise April 1st (just not how much), so I think it should apply.
I guess we'll have to write to DCBA to find out on that one, unless anyone has heard otherwise?
Shadow

Tewkster said:
I got posted this summer.  Since the pay raise is effective Apr 1, does this affect the posting allowance which is based on the member's pay?

Unless there is a RMS Clerk on the site to answer that, you are best to ask your clerk at work and inquire at IRRP. 

No, it wont affect it.  That happend to us last year from Kingston to Winnipeg - and we didnt get the new amounts.

And we just came back from IRP today finalizing our claim here in Greenwood and we were told the same thing.  If you get told otherwise, let me know  >:D

I was posted a couple of years ago, and we received a pay raise in sept (retro to april 1st) I was posted in july, and received the old rate for my posting allowance.. However, almost 5 months later, I received a cheque in the mail from IRPP, making up for the adjusted pay rate.
So, yes, if the pay raise is retro to april 1st, and you are posted before our new pay goes into effect. IRPP will eventually get the difference to you.. It just may take a while (like it did in my case)

Cheers,

Thats odd!  We didnt in winnipeg and neither did anyone else in the course.  We were all told we were SOL. We all got posted in Aug 04 and the pay was announced in the fall and it was retro Apr 1

Any benefits based on your salary should be retro'ed with your pay unless otherwise stated in the [ I know you don't have one but for lack of a better term] 'collective agreement'.

Something as important as this should not be left to individual pay offices to sort out as they see fit. Someone should go find out the 'official word' and post it here.

I was promoted as of May 1st, and I received the difference in pay in terms of a posting allowance, so why not get the difference in the pay raise?
I will see what I can find out from Ottawa.
Cheers
Shadow

Edit:
In case anyone is wondering, this is where the "no" answer comes from through IRPP.
Addendum 11.08 of the APS 2006 Guide says:

Effective Rate of Posting Allowance

The effective rate of posting allowance of an officer or non-comissioned member is the amount of the monthly rate of pay of the member on the change of strength date (COS).

Subsequent to the COS date, retroactive pay increase does not apply to posting allowance.

Pay statement or pay rates provided after the COS date will not be used to calculate the PA.

Note: Relocation Consultant will request member's appropriate pay rate from the support unit as per the COS date.

The bolded part is where the Relocation Consultant told me that I wouldn't get the money.  According to IRPP there is a difference between retro pay and back pay, and we do not get the retro pay towards our posting allowance.

I will inquire further at my unit.  There's obviously no standard set if some units back-date and others don't.  Hopefully Dankai can look into getting some kind of refund if they do back-date the posting allowance.

It's not the unit that does it, it's Royal Lepage Relocation Services.

I got in touch with IRPP at my unit (Shearwater) and they quoted from the book that any pay increase after the COS date does not apply to the posting allowance.  Therefore, officially there are no back-date in posting allowance once a pay increase is announced.  Maybe they should change the posting season to December, hahaha.

And here we are on November 3rd........... with still no definite answer on how much and more importantly, WHEN we'll be seeing that pay raise.......... Makes me laugh anyway........... If they owe you money, they can take their sweet time getting it to you, but boy o boy, if you owe them money...........

Mid Dec pay

2.62%

And the online pay guide was updated the day the pay raise was announced.

Well once again Canada's federal budget is around the corner and that has meant increase in pay for the passed few years. As a reservist I am aware of the 2.6% raise for which will be retroactive from April/2006. I was told by my Platoon Warrent that this is to take affect Dec.12th/06, I'm just curious if this date of finalization is true and will it be deposited that pay week (Dec.15/06)? 

That's what they said but........ they may be on time OR they may be late (never expect em to be early)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back