• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

If during the application process you decide another path is more suitable to you (be it NCM or officer) you can change it.  You don't have to wait to be rejected and then re-apply.  With respect to your GPA, the important part at this point is that you have a degree - pretty much end of story.  I wouldn't get too much wrapped around the axle on that issue.  It's the same thing with your French.  We will send you on courses for that.  The biggest concern I would have right now if I were you is your writing.  Your post is not very well-written and officers need be able to write better than that (notwithstanding that some don't).

From CRA's website

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/slps/menu-eng.html
Information slips - T4 and other slips

Slips are prepared by your employer, payer, or administrator. You should have received most of your slips and receipts by the end of February. However, T3, T5013, and T5013A slips do not have to be sent before the end of March.

If you have not received, or have lost or misplaced a slip for the current year, you have to ask your employer, or the issuer of the slip, for a copy.

You can obtain current year and prior year Old Age Security (OAS), Employment Insurance (EI) and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) tax slips electronically. This secure service is found on the Service Canada Web site.

Clickable slips
The following is a list of some of the slips you may receive.

T4, Statement of Remuneration Paid
T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
T4A(OAS), Statement of Old Age Security
T4A(P), Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
T4E, Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
T4RSP, Statement of RRSP Income
T5007, Statement of Benefits
RC62, Universal Child Care Benefit statement
RC210, Working Income Tax Benefit advance payments statement

What if you do not have your slip?
If you have to file a return for 2010, make sure you file it on time even if your slip is missing.

If you know that you will not receive your slip on time to file your return, attach a note to your paper return stating the payer's name and address, the type of income involved, and what you are doing to get the slip. Use any stubs or statements you may have to calculate the income you have to report and any related deductions and credits you can claim. Attach the stubs or statements to your paper return. If you are filing electronically, keep all of your documents in case we ask to see them.

Obtaining a slip for prior years
If you are filing a tax return for a prior year, and you have not received, or have lost or misplaced your information slips for that year, you can call 1-800-959-8281 for a copy of your slips for that year.

Tango2Bravo said:
Since you already have a degree you would enter under the DEO program, and essentially be a 2Lt until you finish your occupation training (which is why you see 6 incentives there).

Cheers

T2B

Just out of curiosity ie; if you enter as a DEO 2nd Lt. and max out on your 6th year will you be then promoted to Lt.? and continue on the 7th year pay as a Lt.? or you're going back to basic pay for Lt.?

No. If you max out in Incentives, you stay at that incentive level until promoted. Happens all the time, to all rank levels.

That being said, if you are a 2Lt for 7 years, you may be doing something slightly wrong  ;D

Most people are a 2Lt for 1 year, Lt for 2 years before promotion to Capt. The two largest factors affecting this time in rank are: 1) Do you have a degree?; and, 2) What Commissioning program are you in?

Wook

StonedViper said:
Just out of curiosity ie; if you enter as a DEO 2nd Lt. and max out on your 6th year will you be then promoted to Lt.? and continue on the 7th year pay as a Lt.? or you're going back to basic pay for Lt.?

To get Lt you need to be MOC-qualified and have the time in. DEOs often get promoted to Captain upon or soon after graduation from their MOC training since they have enough time built up in training (you build time for 2Lt and Lt). You need three years as a 2Lt/Lt to get to Captain. If you can't pass MOC training for whatever reason and they keep you around you stay as a 2Lt until you pass MOC training for something.

Cheers

bdb1231 said:
Do you need a good GPA to apply to officer? I don't want to post my GPA here, but all I can say is it is low....:p

I want to apply to the Canadian Forces and serve for the country. So am I better off just apply to be NCM than Officer because my GPA is low and my French is bad and I don't have good work experience?

I don't want to apply to officer and go through the interview, aptitude test, language test, blood test and fitness test, and 6 months later I realize I cannot be officer because my GPA is low and I don't have good work experience. And I have to wait until next year to apply again to be NCM.

Or 6 months after I apply I realize I couldn't be officer and they offer me NCM positions to choose from, but only the boring jobs are left, all the interesting jobs are taken......I only get to pick from jobs that no one wants...

Anyone know what I should do?

Its your life and you are the one who has to make the decision. Having said that, if you have a BA then don't get too worked up about the GPA. If you want to be an officer and meet the prerequisites then you may as well go ahead and apply as a DEO.

Would it be a "waste" if I'm holding a degree, yet I'm applying to NCM?
DEO seems to be the best plan for graduates isn't it?

I dont think it is necessarily a waste. The course of getting a degree CAN teach people a lot about themselves, their limitations, and external subject matter. These are useful skills in life, even if you decide that a NCM is the right fit for you.

Lots of NCM's have degree's,...they aren't that special.

nickanick said:

Too many equate a Degree as signifying that they are a leader.  It doesn't.  Many NCMs hold Degrees, some multiple Degrees.  Some NCMs have more education than their officers.  I personally know a Pte who holds a PhD.  Most of the NCMs who work for me hold Masters Degrees.  Their educations are far from being a waste. 

As above.

My wife has a university degree and no interest in going officer.

Some people get wrapped up in the whole officer thing. I say go for the job that makes you happy.

nickanick said:

If you want to go officer and have a degree plus the other pre-requisites then DEO is indeed the most suitable entry plan for you. Now, if you aren't keen on being a leader right away then don't apply for officer. Just know that the process to go from NCM to officer is not an easy thing and you should think in terms of years to go officer if you enroll as an NCM and decide to go the officer route.

In the Reserves it is extremely common for NCMs at all rank levels to hold degrees or be in the process of actively acquiring one. In the Regular Force combat arms it is less common (but there certainly are some). Regardless, if you apply for Regular Force NCM your degree won't be wasted. You are the one who will live your life, so look at your options and make a decision.

In any case having a degree doesn't make you a leader. It just happens to be one of the requirements (although there are exceptions) for being an officer in the regular force.

Best of luck!

On another note,

To what extent will my degree put me ahead of those other NCM hopefuls who hold just a highschool diploma? I will be applying for infantry.

Just to be a little materialistic here.
Which pay scale will be higher? Between NCM and DEO
In 2 years time, from training phrase.

nickanick said:

???

nickanick said:

I know the information can be REALLY hard to find, but I managed to dig it up.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/payscales-131

nickanick said:

You say that like 'NCM' and 'DEO' both have a pay scale unique to themselves.  Don't forget that Spec 1/Spec 2 pay will apply to certain trades, as well as a DEO Pilot, DEO Medical, DEO Dental, DEO LOG will find themselves making different amounts of cash.

'NCM' and 'DEO' are therefore not measurable pay levels.

I think you'll find that if you follow the incentives level and read a bit about length of training/timing of promotions in different trades, you can make an educated guess at what rank you'll be in 2 years and what the pay will be (I'm not giving you any hints ;) ).

Google a bit, figure in any allowances certain trades are entitled to and then maybe factor in PLD for likely postings and you can make a guess at the approximate income of your trade of interest after 2 years!

Good luck, do the math yourself!  :nod:

nickanick said:

While the pay scale is obviously higher for DEO, what isn't blatantly obvious is how you will be paid during BMOQ. You will hold the rank of OCdt/NCdt while at CFLRS until you graduate and recieve your commission to 2Lt / ASlt. As already pointed out there is no OCdt DEO pay level because... you will be paid the OCdt OTCP-NFS rate until you graduate. You will then recieve retro-active pay to the 2Lt (DEO) pay scale for the time you spent during BMOQ.

Confusing? This had our whole NOAB going for like half an hour.

OK, question on DEO pay...trying to sort out the Army one untrained officer at a time here.

Need some translation of CBI's. I am being told by Base Pay Office that untrained 2Lt's are held to IPC 2.  However, no one can seem to find me a reference for that. I have found this:

204.211(11) (Limitations on pay increments)
Despite CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments) and paragraph (12), the number of pay increment increases may not exceed the maximum number of pay increments for the applicable pay level and table to this instruction, and is further limited as follows:
(a) in the case of an officer cadet who is paid under pay level B in Table "A", to a maximum of one increase; and
(b) in the case of a second lieutenant who is paid under Table "B", to a maximum of one increase, and in the case of a lieutenant who is paid under Table "C", to a maximum of three increases.

Fine, no problem there. Except, I have one confirmed 2Lt that is at IPC 2, therefore, has gotten 2 increases (Basic to IPC 1; 1 to 2). So, said 2Lt must be on Table "C" as Table "B" only gets one increase.

Now, where the hell does this "held to IPC 2" come from? Anyone have a ref for it? Base Pay has not been able to satisfy me and has dumped it back into my lap to work out with the Chief Clerk. He's an old Fin WO and it doesn't make any sense to him either.

Any help or advice you can give this old Tn guy would be appreciated. Before I bump this up to DCBA I would like some more brains to look at it.

Thanks.

Wook

Back