• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"PM says Indigenous talks may offer "solution" so Canada can honour war dead"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
We'll see ....
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is confident a "solution" will be reached to allow Canada to honour its war dead on Remembrance Day by lowering the flag to half-mast.

Trudeau gave his strongest indication yet on Tuesday that the national flag could be raised and then lowered again at federal buildings on Remembrance Day.

Speaking at a news conference during climate talks in Glasgow, the prime minister said the government is working closely with Indigenous groups to find ways to lower the flag to half-mast on Nov. 11.

(...)

"There is an understanding of how important it is to be able to lower the flags on Remembrance Day to mark our veterans, to mark people — including Indigenous Peoples — who have stepped up to fight for Canadian values and paid the ultimate sacrifice," he said.

"I am confident that the conversations with Indigenous leadership on making sure we lower the flag once again on Nov. 11 will come to the right solution." ...

…follow the First Nations majority view to return the flags to full staff and actually start taking demonstrable action, not just hollow words, to address reconciliatory outcomes.

And wax your surfboard...

Remembrance Day is just around the corner and Chesterman's reporting a 4 star wave situation!

Tofino (North Chestermans Beach) Surf Forecast and Surf Reports​

(Vancouver Island, Canada)​

The Greatest Surfing GIF by Lana Del Rey

The flags have been up on multiple government buildings for months now, it's not very universal across the board.

So the only reason to raise the flag is to be able to lower it again?

And wax your surfboard...

Remembrance Day is just around the corner and Chesterman's reporting a 4 star wave situation!

Tofino (North Chestermans Beach) Surf Forecast and Surf Reports​

(Vancouver Island, Canada)​

The Greatest Surfing GIF by Lana Del Rey
Kind of surprised someone hasn't put together some kind of twitter bot that provides the PM daily updates of his local surfing conditions yet. I guess for in Ottawa could just be small craft conditions for some sweet kayaking on the River.

…follow the First Nations majority view to return the flags to full staff and actually start taking demonstrable action, not just hollow words, to address reconciliatory outcomes.
Not laughing at you G2G, however you know you're talking about trudeau here right?

Here in Alberta, flags have been at half mast for months. I had assumed it was the same nationwide?

If the flag is to continue to be lowered for one day per child found, we are already forecast to have the flags at half mast for over 2 years. And the search using ground penetrating radar has really only just begun…

I understand wanting to do ‘something’ to recognize what an atrocity that whole situation was. But I don’t know if this is it. (Pretty sure it isn’t…) As we can no longer lower the flag to half mast for anything else that happens - local, recent, or a national tribute day such as Remembrance Day, etc.

Who cares about lowering the flags for Remembrance Day now? They've been down so long the act of doing so has lost all meaning.
Agree with the second part of that post. Nobody even asks “Why are the flags lowered?” anymore…

Before this, anytime I saw a flag at half mast, I’d immediately ask what had happened. Now? Maybe something happened, or maybe it’s lowered to ‘tally up the days.’

Maybe a nice thought or someone had their heart in the right place. I don’t think it’s the right thing to be doing though, practically speaking.

I was unaware anyone, anywhere, had any bargaining position whatsoever with respect to our war dead.
I don’t think any of the Indigenous Affairs leadership wants that. The ‘discussions’ probably aren’t even happening, or if they are, were over fairly quickly.

It’s well understood that honouring Remembrance Day, and raising/lowering the flag as part of that, isn’t about insulting or minimizing Indigenous peoples at all. I really don’t think the folks at Indigenous Affairs made a fuss about it - maybe an inquiry.

Gosh, this PM and his woke hippie BS…. I thought this was just a phase he’d eventually outgrow.

I was unaware anyone, anywhere, had any bargaining position whatsoever with respect to our war dead.
It's politically ~ what's word? clever? sneaky? something like that ~ to try to pit the nation's grief for the fate of our First Nations' children against the nation's respect for the supreme sacrifice of our war dead. It takes Prime Minister Trudeau and the Liberal Party off the hook. It becomes a question of who's to blame: them? or them?

Last edited:
Agree with the second part of that post. Nobody even asks “Why are the flags lowered?” anymore…

Before this, anytime I saw a flag at half mast, I’d immediately ask what had happened. Now? Maybe something happened, or maybe it’s lowered to ‘tally up the days.’
Here in Ontarioland, especially OPP detachments, I've given up wondering. Where I would once check the news or Association feeds, there are are now so many provincial policy days honouring this or that event or cause. Or it could simply be a matter of local leadership not caring or not passing on direction. Flags might not be lowered, or be properly lowered but stay down for a month until somebody notices (often a member of the public). It seems many are too busy being managers rather than leaders.

Here in Ontarioland, especially OPP detachments, I've given up wondering.

Our neighbourhood firehouse ( one of 83 in the city ) seems to have its own half-mast protocol.

Here in Torontoland, I looked up the half-mastings over the last ten months.

For reference to the discussion of half-masting,

It takes Prime Minister Trudeau and the Liberal Party off the hook.

That might have been the thinking, but few people have the inclination and discipline to really think through - in effect, to wargame - their CoAs (as they play out what cartoonist Scott Adams - IIRC - calls "the movie in their heads"). Already people on both "sides" (aboriginals and non-aboriginals) have commented unfavourably on playing two sober and solemn issues off against each other. That should have been easy to foresee, adopted as the "most dangerous" enemy CoA (one resulting in the LPC crushed in the middle), and avoided.

That might have been the thinking, but few people have the inclination and discipline to really think through - in effect, to wargame - their CoAs (as they play out what cartoonist Scott Adams - IIRC - calls "the movie in their heads"). Already people on both "sides" (aboriginals and non-aboriginals) have commented unfavourably on playing two sober and solemn issues off against each other. That should have been easy to foresee, adopted as the "most dangerous" enemy CoA (one resulting in the LPC crushed in the middle), and avoided.
It’s mind boggling, isn’t it? Just how out of touch a PM or political party can be from the average person.

It’s mind boggling, isn’t it? Just how out of touch a PM or political party can be from the average person.
My buddy is a card carrying member of the Haida and is swearing cursing at this stupidity.

Back