• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Officers doing good things

I'm under explicit orders from a senior commissioned officer in my chain to "identify yourself as a member in any interaction with Police off duty"

I've never had to deal with this, but it sits uneasy with me. My plan, should the need arise, is to state "I am required by my line officer to inform you I am a member of the RCMP" and leave it there with no further explanation beyond specific questioning.

EDIT: this is not specifically me, I was given this direction in a group setting.

I'm under explicit orders from a senior commissioned officer in my chain to "identify yourself as a member in any interaction with Police off duty"

I've never had to deal with this, but it sits uneasy with me. My plan, should the need arise, is to state "I am required by my line officer to inform you I am a member of the RCMP" and leave it there with no further explanation beyond specific questioning.

EDIT: this is not specifically me, I was given this direction in a group setting.
That’s super weird Red. And a smart cop isn’t going to lower their guard when someone tells them they are a friendly.

Is this so it’s reported? Like what is the purpose of this?

Wow, there’s gotta be a story behind that?

Super common. Laterals. And more than a few who want anything other than policing almost immediately.

Do we still have the retirements board? They stopped for a while- but the reg numbers were very high

Edit- I just looked at it- they are only listing people that hit retirement service now instead of including resignations like they used to.

I have handled some very junior discharges lately. Often enough that it’s regular to me.

The general sentiment is it’s not what they thought it would be.
I just hired a 15 year Municipal Police Officer vet to work for me. Didn't talk much about why they left, simply mentioned that the job had taken a turn for the worse the past 5 years, there is no support from the CoC and the drug problem on the streets is impossible to manage any more.

For the 99.9% of off-duty LEOs that might get stopped for some reason and not immediately go into a patter to get leniency from the stop LEO, wouldn’t it be something the stopping LEO would get a sense of through the initial communication, and if there’s understanding/appreciation of the stoppee being a brother/sister and also not a dick dialing the ‘spare a bro’ pitch up to 11, that the stop might include some consideration? ie. Be quiet/low key and let the discussing unfold, not pitch/work the ‘acquittal angel’ right as the LEO approaches the drivers door.

For the 99.9% of off-duty LEOs that might get stopped for some reason and not immediately go into a patter to get leniency from the stop LEO, wouldn’t it be something the stopping LEO would get a sense of through the initial communication, and if there’s understanding/appreciation of the stoppee being a brother/sister and also not a dick dialing the ‘spare a bro’ pitch up to 11, that the stop might include some consideration? ie. Be quiet/low key and let the discussing unfold, not pitch/work the ‘acquittal angel’ right as the LEO approaches the drivers door.
I've gotten off with like 4 warnings in the past few years and never once got a ticket, just by not being an asshole to the Cop when they talk to me.

My most recent was a few months ago when I did a rolling "stop" at a stop sign in my work truck....whoops 😄

The young female police officer, who was quite cute 😉, approached my window and I apologized like a true gentleman and expressed my deepest regrets 😁

I am usually in a rush in my work truck because time is money and every minute counts so I zip around on the cusp of barely legal 😄

Does a police chain of command get pinged when one of their members gets queried/updated in CPIC?

There is a line between something passive, like a window sticker, licence plate frame or tossing your hat in the back window, and something active, like tinning, but it is very narrow and very grey.

Permanently identifying your car with emergency services stickers, and plate frames, can turn it, and you, into a public grief magnet.

Handle the situation wrong, or not at all, they can nail you with "Professional conduct outside of profession."

One reason I never wore my work clothes to / from work. Especially in the subway.

Back