• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, although this should be in the Radio Chatter Joke Thread, it is probably more relevant here.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Scientists: Earth Endangered by New Strain of Fact-Resistant Humans

By Andy Borowitz

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report) – Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports.

The research, conducted by the University of Minnesota, identifies a virulent strain of humans who are virtually immune to any form of verifiable knowledge, leaving scientists at a loss as to how to combat them.

“These humans appear to have all the faculties necessary to receive and process information,” Davis Logsdon, one of the scientists who contributed to the study, said. “And yet, somehow, they have developed defenses that, for all intents and purposes, have rendered those faculties totally inactive.”
More worryingly, Logsdon said, “As facts have multiplied, their defenses against those facts have only grown more powerful.”

While scientists have no clear understanding of the mechanisms that prevent the fact-resistant humans from absorbing data, they theorize that the strain may have developed the ability to intercept and discard information en route from the auditory nerve to the brain. “The normal functions of human consciousness have been completely nullified,” Logsdon said.

While reaffirming the gloomy assessments of the study, Logsdon held out hope that the threat of fact-resistant humans could be mitigated in the future. “Our research is very preliminary, but it’s possible that they will become more receptive to facts once they are in an environment without food, water, or oxygen,” he said.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans

More on LINK.

Verified by several recent Provincial and Federal Elections.

From a little bit better known publication: The New Yorker:

Many in Nation Tired of Explaining Things to Idiots

David Akin, a sometimes poster on this site, presents his guesses analysis of who will get what seats at the cabinet table:

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/politics/obligatory-cabinet-speculation-post/

dapaterson said:
David Akin, a sometimes poster on this site, presents his guesses analysis of who will get what seats at the cabinet table:

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/politics/obligatory-cabinet-speculation-post/
I'm interested in seeing where Leslie ends up and how gender parity would play out.

Altair said:
I'm interested in seeing where Leslie ends up and how gender parity would play out.

I love it when people are sexist in order to show that they aren't sexist. 

(The incoming PM has stated that he will have a 50/50 split between men and women in cabinet.  That's nice.  What if all the women were better suited for positions?  That would mean that he would appoint people based on their gender rather than capability, bypassing capable women in order to have a nice photo op instead of an effective cabinet)

Technoviking said:

(The incoming PM has stated that he will have a 50/50 split between men and women in cabinet.  That's nice.  What if all the women were better suited for positions?  That would mean that he would appoint people based on their gender rather than capability, bypassing capable women in order to have a nice photo op instead of an effective cabinet)

Equality of outcomes...

Technoviking said:

When one considers that for a very long time this country has been run by middle aged white men, having a cabinet that actually reflects canada as a whole is going to be a breath of fresh air.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are one of the people who think the current gender/ethnic makeup of the Canadian forces is just fine and reflects society perfectly as it is.

Altair said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are one of the people who think the current gender/ethnic makeup of the Canadian forces is just fine and reflects society perfectly as it is.

That's a logical fallacy. People volunteer to join the Canadian Forces. They are appointed to the cabinet. In one scenario, we make do with whom applies. In the other, a pre-stated promise becomes a weight about the ankles when making decisions about the best person for the job. I would really rather the best person for the job get the job, you know, in order to govern the country effectively and what not.

Altair said:
When one considers that for a very long time this country has been run by middle aged white men, having a cabinet that actually reflects canada as a whole is going to be a breath of fresh air.

Don't go there.

Why do you feel the need to personalize discussions?  Just stick to the issues.

Altair said:

So you're advocating style over substance?

Altair said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are one of the people who think the current gender/ethnic makeup of the Canadian ARMED forces is just fine and reflects society perfectly as it is.

Altair, apples and oranges.  The CAF is more a reflexion of society than you think.  Many in Canadian society don't think that service to country is a viable or even worthwhile endeavour or it is an after thought.  So you only get that portion that see it as something worthwhile.  Also factor in the types of trades that certain groups are traditionally attracted.  Just like construction work or driving trucks, women are not largely attracted to things like combat arms or even "the uniform".  The CAF is a reflexion of those attitudes.

Politics might be different but I suspect that not as many women ran as men did.  As well, why does cabinet HAVE to be 50% women or even representative of our country's make up?  Would not the best people or best suited for the job be a better proposition?  If one third of the LPC caucus are women, would not one third of cabinet be acceptable as a benchmark?

While I think that having equality accross the board should be what we strive for, trying to create some sort of reflexion of society in organisations that are fundamentaly different in their make up can be foolish at times.  Societal trends will work against those plans despite the best of intentions.

JesseWZ said:
That's a logical fallacy. People volunteer to join the Canadian Forces. They are appointed to the cabinet. In one scenario, we make do with whom applies. In the other, a pre-stated promise becomes a weight about the ankles when making decisions about the best person for the job. I would really rather the best person for the job get the job, you know, in order to govern the country effectively and what not.

Now that would be a first for any Government in Canada. IMHO, cabinets are always selected on the basis of what is the best team to get me re-elected next time. Politics, not competence in the subject matter of the portfolio, is the primary driver for selection of ministers of the crown.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Now that would be a first for any Government in Canada.

Call me a dreamer...

I don't care about, race, gender, language, etc. I just want the most qualified, capable person in the job.

Governments are limited in who they can appoint due to who gets elected.

Whatever the combination of male\female\race\whatever works the best, that's what we should go with.

The Trudeau Liberals are hamstringing themselves and short changing the taxpayer by splitting the cabinet along gender lines instead of the best, qualified, person for the job.

JT is basically saying "We have an imbalance in cabinet. There are more x than y. In order to balance that we are going to replace 3x with 3y. They are not as good at the job, but we'll have a gender balance. That's what counts."

recceguy said:
I don't care about, race, gender, language, etc. I just want the most qualified, capable person in the job.

Whatever the combination of male\female\race\whatever works the best, that's what we should go with.

The Trudeau Liberals are hamstringing themselves and short changing the taxpayer by splitting the cabinet along gender lines instead of the best, qualified, person for the job.

JT is basically saying "We have an imbalance in cabinet. There are more x than y. In order to balance that we are going to replace 3x with 3y. They are not as good at the job, but we'll have a gender balance. That's what counts."

Hey, far too real for lefty thinkers to hoist aboard.

recceguy said:

From "Not Ready" to "Never Ready". the narrative just writes itself....

Altair said:

I think that the role of the Canadian Armed Forces is to defend Canada, and not meet some arbitrary quota.
And I also suppose you think that the roll of the dead is a travesty in that it's too male and too white? :/

Well, they were the ones who stood up and volunteered.......the others were "busy".....

Technoviking said:
I think that the role of the Canadian Armed Forces is to defend Canada, and not meet some arbitrary quota.
And I also suppose you think that the roll of the dead is a travesty in that it's too male and too white? :/

See, here's your mistake.  Diversity never applies when it comes to sacrifice, or to the dirty, tough jobs (coal mining or lineman during an ice storm, anyone?), or to conscription or, or, or...  This is the fallacy of the bien-pensants inhabiting the left side of the political spectrum.  They want equality when it comes to goodies, never when it comes to paying the bill.  :nod:

cavalryman said:
See, here's your mistake.  Diversity never applies when it comes to sacrifice, or to the dirty, tough jobs (coal mining or lineman during an ice storm, anyone?), or to conscription or, or, or...  This is the fallacy of the bien-pensants inhabiting the left side of the political spectrum.  They want equality when it comes to goodies, never when it comes to paying the bill.  :nod:

For the win! And by the way, I am stealing that line from you  :nod:

Altair said:

This had to be one of the dumbest comments I've read on here.  We are really hurting at the pointy end if you're a representation of the latest generation of soldier. 

Stay in your lane and seeing as how you're fresh out of basic that lane probably exists somewhere between the latrines and bathroom sink.  Seems like more porcelain scrubbing is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back