• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rifleman62 said:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/trudeau-beats-harper-but-canada-could-prove-hard-to-change/story-e6frg6z6-1227580473286

Trudeau beats Harper but Canada could prove hard to change

The Australian, Henry Ergas, Columnist, Sydney

That's a more perceptive analysis than I've seen in any Canadian media outlets yet.

Altair said:
How much would you attribute that to the LPC win, the drop in oil prices in recent days and the bank of Canada decision to leave interest rates where they are?

I would tell you how much weight each one carries in my opinion, but I'm biased.

That you are, and in spades.  But then, aren't well all to one shade or another.

Altair said:
How much would you attribute that to the LPC win, the drop in oil prices in recent days and the bank of Canada decision to leave interest rates where they are?

I would tell you how much weight each one carries in my opinion, but I'm biased.

During that period, only one thing has changed on the national scene:

Well, there's your first problem, you're believing something said by Ezra levant :facepalm:

He is not different from the spinners on the left.  They all have their version of the "truth" they want the masses to believe.

jollyjacktar said:
He is not different from the spinners on the left.  They all have their version of the "truth" they want the masses to believe.
You're right, he's not much different.

It's just hard to have a debate when Ezra Levant is used as the baseline for discussion.

jollyjacktar said:
They all have their version of the "truth" they want the masses to believe.
True - that's why it's good to read/listen to a range of outlets.

Unfortunately you have to use him, because you're not going to get honest reporting from a lot of the big media firms. They're still on the honeymoon, interviewing Trudeau's mom, and gloating over the impending Tory leadership race.

PuckChaser said:
Unfortunately you have to use him, because you're not going to get honest reporting from a lot of the big media firms. They're still on the honeymoon, interviewing Trudeau's mom, and gloating over the impending Tory leadership race.

No

True

Altair said:
You're right, he's not much different.

It's just hard to have a debate when Ezra Levant is used as the baseline for discussion.

No different for those of us whom are on the opposite side of the discussion when the rabid left media types are trotted out as the baseline either.  Each of the loonies on the right and left are equally loonie.

Altair said:
Of course he would cite justin trudeaus win, because it's not like the bank of Canada decides to leave the interest rate where it was or that commodity prices dropped, especially the price of oil.

Wait a minute.  Were you not blaming Harper for all these things?

George Wallace said:
Wait a minute.  Were you not blaming Harper for all these things?
No.

My attacks on Harper were largely limited to style of government, not his economic record. On his economic record, the most I remember attacking him on was the impression he gave out that he, and only he, could manage it.

I think you are mistaking me with mainstream media.

From Rex Murphy in the National Post:

He was, variously Machiavelli, Mussolini, Mao and Hitler. Harper Canada’s image in the forums of the world, and purged all our “Canadian values” here at home. He was the Sauron of Mount Doom-on-the-Rideau waving his terrible arms from the towers of fear and hate. He was tepid on global warming and down on selfies. He liked hockey.

Well, who can fill that vital role? Who can be the magnet of our great discontent now that he is going and soon to be gone? Can we abide a country that is now all sunshine and butterflies, all summer holidays and hootenanys? I predict a Canada invective-deprived, all honey and harmony. Post-Harper, all is calm, all is bright. Can we live with that? Can Twitter survive? Will Raffi hang up the mandolin?

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/rex-murphy-who-can-be-the-magnet-of-our-great-national-discontent-now-that-harper-is-on-his-way-out

Altair said:
No.

My attacks on Harper were largely limited to style of government, not his economic record. On his economic record, the most I remember attacking him on was the impression he gave out that he, and only he, could manage it.

I think you are mistaking me with mainstream media.

Not only the MSM; but the ABC crowd, the unions, and all the other "Hate Harper" crowd. 

Sorry.

E.R. Campbell said:
Brian Gable, in the Globe and Mail, reminds us that, back when Stéphane Dion Dion was leader there was talk of an alliance between the Greens and the Liberals and Ms May was, back then, angling for a seat at (or near) the cabinet table ...

webSatEdCar.jpg

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorial-cartoons-for-october-2015/article26577881/

... so there is some weight behind Mr Gable's speculation. It's not the Prime Minister designate Trudeau has a shortage of seats or of qualified women or of greenies, for that matter. But there might be some merit, to paraphrase
                  the late US President Lyndon Johnson, in having Ms May "on the inside, pissing out, rather than on the outside, pissing in."

Interesting situation. I believe that Mr. Trudeau would do this only to show how "inclusive" his party is without actually leveraging anything of value to the CPC or the NDP.

However, I wonder what happens if Mr. Trudeau cannot control/tries to over-control Mrs May or what happens if Mrs May takes the opportunity to push a green party environmental agenda (of which 3.5% of the populace voted for). Also, what does it say for the LPC if they cannot find an environmental minister from within their own party?

From the green party perspective, I wonder if Mrs May signing on as environmental minister for the liberals would be the last straw in her being demoted from her role as the party leader? There's grumblings that she is on the outs with the party and is seen as a publicity seeker who is furthering her own agenda vice the parties (only 3.5% this election is lowest in awhile for them).

Finally, I wonder what the long term effect would be of Mrs May being set out against the oil sands/pipelines. The liberals, to some extent, support oil pipelines and the oil sands which ostensibly Mrs May and the greens do not.

I fear such a move could see the young Dauphin sacrifice long term pain for short term gain... IMHO, it would be better to have her as an advisor, let her be seen showing up to meetings, but not having any direct influence.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Interesting situation. I believe that Mr. Trudeau would do this only to show how "inclusive" his party is without actually leveraging anything of value to the CPC or the NDP.

However, I wonder what happens if Mr. Trudeau cannot control/tries to over-control Mrs May or what happens if Mrs May takes the opportunity to push a green party environmental agenda (of which 3.5% of the populace voted for). Also, what does it say for the LPC if they cannot find an environmental minister from within their own party?

From the green party perspective, I wonder if Mrs May signing on as environmental minister for the liberals would be the last straw in her being demoted from her role as the party leader? There's grumblings that she is on the outs with the party and is seen as a publicity seeker who is furthering her own agenda vice the parties (only 3.5% this election is lowest in awhile for them).

Finally, I wonder what the long term effect would be of Mrs May being set out against the oil sands/pipelines. The liberals, to some extent, support oil pipelines and the oil sands which ostensibly Mrs May and the greens do not.

I fear such a move could see the young Dauphin sacrifice long term pain for short term gain... IMHO, it would be better to have her as an advisor, let her be seen showing up to meetings, but not having any direct influence.

I'm inclined to agree ...

There was real fear, in  some political circles, back around 2005, that the Green Party of Canada might take off, like many of its European counterparts, but, fortunately for the "Big Three" in Canada (CPC, LPC, NDP) the Greens chose Ms May as their leader and she is, to be very charitable, a flake ... and a drunk, and a blithering f'ing idiot, too. The Greens can go nowhere so long as she is leader and that ought to serve everyone's best interests very well ... if the Greens were more like the Boy Scouts ~ had adult supervision ~ they might have a real impact on politics in Canada.

Very charitable indeed.  Much nicer, kinder words than I use in my mind when I think of Ms. May.

Here is one of Prime Minister designate Trudeau's early decisions which I can (and we all should) applaud: he will move in to Rideau Cottage, on the grounds of Rideau Hall, until repairs to 24 Sussex Drive can be accomplished.

image.jpg

I don't know how much work Prime Minister designate Trudeau will authorize ~ all that is necessary, I hope, but spending on things like official residences is notoriously unpopular with Canadians (they would, by and large, rather that the property which they own falls into disrepair, but ...  :dunno: ... that's our fellow citizens) so, perhaps the work will be limited, i.e. money (and opportunity) will be wasted.

...and if there is asbestos in 24 Sussex, remediation will balloon the cost of doing anything.

With proper messaging, he can hoist the previous resident on his own petard.

"This is preserving a piece of our national heritage for future generations.  The cost has now increased to (ridiculous) million dollars; had the prior PM addressed it when he had the chance, it would have cost only $10M.  It's clear that you need to invest in infrastructure before things deteriorate too much, something my government has committed to do."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back