• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
pbi said:
I bet the PM wishes that too. I know I do. I live one block from the CN main line in Kingston, and I don't like seeing those long drags of dozens of tanker cars, even at the reduced running speed. IMHO, far far more risky and accident-prone than any properly engineered pipeline would ever be.

I'd be more worried of CN cars full of chlorine.  When it comes in contact with air 1 cup of liquid chlorine will turn in to 300 square feet of gas, so a cracked train car would be some 150'431'100(?) square feet of chlorine gas.
:trainwreck:

As for Trudeau he's an actor. He's just staying in his arcs.  I'm anxiously waiting to see what's in store next for dress-up time, hoping he dresses up like the dog filter from snap chat.

Jarnhamar said:
I'd be more worried of CN cars full of chlorine.  When it comes in contact with air 1 cup of liquid chlorine will turn in to 300 square feet of gas, so a cracked train car would be some 150'431'100(?) square feet of chlorine gas.

As for Trudeau he's an actor. He's just staying in his arcs.  I'm anxiously waiting to see what's in store next for dress-up time, hoping he dresses up like the dog filter from snap chat.

Attachments

• sailor justin.jpg
    sailor justin.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 109
Jarnhamar said:

Remembering Mississauga in 1979. Good thing Mavis and Dundas was sparsely populated - back then.
The train was eastbound via downtown Toronto.

106-cars of chemicals and explosives including styrene, toluene, propane, caustic soda, and chlorine.

"Death from Above:

It ran off the track, 11-79
While the immigrants slept, there wasn’t much time
The mayor came calling and got ’em outta bed
They packed up their families and headed upwind
A poison cloud, a flaming sky, 200,000 people and no one died
And all before the pocket dial, yeah!”

It was the largest peacetime evacuation in North America until the New Orleans evacuation of 2005.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeau-may-have-lost-the-foreign-press-and-not-just-fox-news/

Justin Trudeau may have lost the foreign press (and not just Fox News)

It’s hard to miss the change in tone over just the last week, amidst a disastrous visit to India: the Prime Minister’s glow has faded

Murad Hemmadi

February 22, 2018

"The foreign press does not love Justin Trudeau, not any more."

I feel sorry for Xavier. Once again, he appears to be the only one in these photographs who realizes how they all look, and wishes that it would end quickly.

mariomike said:
Remembering Mississauga in 1979. Good thing Mavis and Dundas was sparsely populated - back then.
The train was eastbound via downtown Toronto....It was the largest peacetime evacuation in North America until the New Orleans evacuation of 2005.
My family and I lived through that. Fortunately a few km north of us. The wreck site was actually quite close to a suburban housing area, and there were businesses and plants along Mavis Rd. Thank God it turned out as it did: it could have been a Lac Megantic.

Right...and I don't want that either. and I REALLY don't want a mixed  trainload of nasties, which I see from time to time. But oil comes in various grades, and a good ignition source can get it going fairly easily. Not too long ago, an OPP Sgt I know attended a derailment in which tank cars left the line and ruptured a gas line, which by huge good fortune didn't ignite.

Loachman said:
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/justin-trudeau-may-have-lost-the-foreign-press-and-not-just-fox-news/

Justin Trudeau may have lost the foreign press (and not just Fox News)

It’s hard to miss the change in tone over just the last week, amidst a disastrous visit to India: the Prime Minister’s glow has faded

I was watching CBC this AM (as I do each AM) and he was getting quite a working over. The panelists used words such as "incompetence" and "pointless".

I really don't understand WTF he was trying to do, or who he thought he was appealing to. Perhaps politicians of all stripes would be well advised to stop trying to pander to one particular ethnic group or another: it can backfire.

pbi said:
Right...and I don't want that either. and I REALLY don't want a mixed  trainload of nasties, which I see from time to time. But oil comes in various grades, and a good ignition source can get it going fairly easily. Not too long ago, an OPP Sgt I know attended a derailment in which tank cars left the line and ruptured a gas line, which by huge good fortune didn't ignite.

Agreed.  Also, Canada already has several pipelines.  All are unsecured, which creates several problems.  Furthermore, with age, pipelines corrode causing leakage. As there is a shift away from fossil fuels, we should be looking at the future of energy, not the past. 

Piece of Cake said:
Agreed.  Also, Canada already has several pipelines.  All are unsecured, which creates several problems.  Furthermore, with age, pipelines corrode causing leakage. As there is a shift away from fossil fuels, we should be looking at the future of energy, not the past.

Barring a massive breakthrough in solar panels to increase their efficiency in normal operating conditions to past 14%, our future includes oil.  Lots and lots of it.  Pipelines are orders of magnitude better than moving the oil through trains which have far more problems and are far more dangerous to people and the environment.

Underway said:
Barring a massive breakthrough in solar panels to increase their efficiency in normal operating conditions to past 14%, our future includes oil.  Lots and lots of it.  Pipelines are orders of magnitude better than moving the oil through trains which have far more problems and are far more dangerous to people and the environment.

Your statement has merit, as I understand our global need for energy.  However, there are other - read cleaner - options that will take time to develop.  We should be the world leader in promoting cleaner energy, instead of selling one of our non-renewable resources at a discount to other nations.

So we need lots and lots of hamsters to spin the turbine wheels. That'll work.  Oil derivative combustible fuels will continue to be one of the primary ways to develop energy for mechanical motion for a long, long time. Add in the growing practice of using more plastics than we can recycle and materials derived from oil used in manufacturing, like 3D printing, the fossil fuel industry has a bright future everywhere but Canada.     

whiskey601 said:
So we need lots and lots of hamsters to spin the turbine wheels. That'll work.  Oil derivative combustible fuels will continue to be one of the primary ways to develop energy for mechanical motion for a long, long time. Add in the growing practice of using more plastics than we can recycle and materials derived from oil used in manufacturing, like 3D printing, the fossil fuel industry has a bright future everywhere but Canada.   

Attachments

• CANDU-reactor-schematic.png
    CANDU-reactor-schematic.png
    27 KB · Views: 105
Good luck with that, pipelines have better prospects than any new CANDU reactors.   

And, we can make plastic out of the spent fuel rods. Win/win! Wait, what was that? Okay, never mind.

Kat Stevens said:
That requires large amounts of energy. Old concept!

Q: Can recycling save energy?

"Lengthy posts and fully quoted articles are posted here. Link to these large posts in the regular boards."
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/127472.0.html

http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/the-story-of-how-b-c-supported-benefited-from-then-double-crossed-trans-mountain

The story of how B.C. asked for, benefited from, then double-crossed Trans Mountain - 23 Feb 18
Former head of the National Energy Board remembers a time when the province couldn't wait for the pipeline to be built

"Lengthy posts and fully quoted articles are posted here. Link to these large posts in the regular boards."
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/127473.0.html

whiskey601 said:

whiskey601 said:
Good luck with that, pipelines have better prospects than any new CANDU reactors.

And our diesel subs are the best in the world. Good old fossil fuel!

Somebody's feelings were hurt...

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/amp/liberal-canadian-pmo-bars-outlook-from-high-commissions-reception-for-trudeau-ov/308666

Outlook India

22 February 2018 National

'Liberal' Canadian PMO Bars Outlook From High Commission’s Reception For Trudeau Over Khalistan Coverage

Outlook, in its February 12, 2018 issue, with a cover "Khalistan-II- Made in Canada" had carried seven articles in a package questioning Canadian cabinet's proximity and appeasement policies towards the Sikh radicals

Outlook Web Bureau

"‘Liberal’ Canadian Prime Minister's Office on Thursday withdrew invitation to High Commissioner dinner for Outlook magazine.

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau feted the world over as the new face of “liberalism” seem to find it difficult to accommodate critical media coverage. An hour-before the high commissioner’s reception cum for dinner for Trudeau the invitation to Outlook was withdrawn.

"An Indian official called up to apologise in withdrawing the invitation at the last minute. But admitted that he was instructed by the Canadian PM’s Office to withdraw the invite because Outlook which had done a cover story on “ Khalistan - II made in Canada” cannot be in guest list to welcome Trudeau."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/sarai-trudeau-atwal-meeting-1.4548705

MP Sarai will be in the principal's office next week.  That, would be a hoot to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back