• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
But, Good2Golf, it helps you leaving when you still have numerous boxes of monogramed golf balls with a Canadian flag, your name and "Prime Minister" printed on them. 

Bet you don't have any of those ;D

I had one of those, and then accidentally Mulligan'd it during actual use...worked pretty well right up to the water hazard!  :rofl:

Good2Golf said:
A very interesting take, and certainly not one I've ever heard before.  A 'Coup' you say?  Hmmmmm.  Most political pundits had assessed that Chretien stayed on well past his best-before date, and that his eventual handover to Paul Jr. had more than a few poison pills (eg. CH-148 vice CH-149 Round #2) meant for Jr. not to forget that 'Tit Gars still held the power and won the longevity battle between JC and PM Sr.  I don't for a minute believe that JC did anything other than leave at a moment entirely of his choosing.

:2c:

G2G

Coup was perhaps a poor choice of words, better described as a willing participant in a civil war that left him a pyrrhic victory at best. He did "win" in at least claiming a job his father never managed to attain.

So I read the budget was rolled out and the word "gender" appears in the budget 358 times in 367 pages. And the words feminism or feminist 24 times.

That's exciting right?

So are companies going to have to conform to some kind of feminist something in or another?

Maybe countries that want to do business with Canada have to pass GBA+ first?  That'd be cool.

Jarnhamar said:
So I read the budget was rolled out and the word "gender" appears in the budget 358 times in 367 pages. And the words feminism or feminist 24 times.

That's exciting right?

So are companies going to have to conform to some kind of feminist something in or another?

Maybe countries that want to do business with Canada have to pass GBA+ first?  That'd be cool.
women make up 50 percent of the electorate. A pretty big group to be courting

Altair said:

Last time I looked, men made up the other 50 percent. That's a pretty big group to throw under the bus.

:stirpot:

Altair said:

Ah, so women are equally responsible as men for the mess things are in at the moment, then?

FJAG said:
Last time I looked, men made up the other 50 percent. That's a pretty big group to throw under the bus.

:stirpot:
I don't think trying to help women equates to keeping men down.

Jarnhamar said:

I must have missed the class that explained der, die, das, as being all feminine.

Altair said:

If he's busy courting them, he'll be leaving us at the side of the road.

Competency and not gender should be the rule. Oh the gnashing of teeth and the howls of outrage I foresee.

Pleasing to see the Bloc(heads) in total disarray.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/bloc-quebecois-ouellet-1.4555185

Caroline Mulroney appears to be in trouble after the debate tonight.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/caroline-mulroney-ontario-pc-leadership-1.4554179

jollyjacktar said:
If he's busy courting them, he'll be leaving us at the side of the road.
It's not a sum zero game.

The military is a perfect example of this. 13K ruck march,  if someone is lagging behind and I help them keep up,  I am not being left behind or at the side of the road. Its not like they will finish and I will not.  We both make it.

Gender pay equality,  equal pay for equal work.  Not women making more than men,  women making as much as men for the same amount of work. 

Increasing female work participation,  especially with the workforce getting older,  could help economic growth and ease the demographic crunch. Not leaving men behind,  helping women catch up.

Helping women with business loans and help for starting small businesses.  According to some its harder for women than men to raise capital needed to begin a small business,  and this will help female entrepreneurs get off the ground.  Not sure what the numbers behind this is,  but again,  not looking to displace men here

If this is about making sure every female Canadian is on a level playing field as every male Canadian,  that's fine by me. We are all Canadians and we are all in this together and we should all strive for equality between the genders,  not one above or below another.

Funny, you mentioning the military.  No real news of that in the budget from what l saw.

As for zero sums or otherwise.  This particular PM doesn't multi task well.  He focuses more or less in one direction to the detriment of other things.

Altair said:

Not so much keep men down as not treating Canadians and Canada equitably or seriously.

Since JT came to power I've come to the conclusion that the Liberals have a very narrow agenda to suck up to various interest groups that they think that they can exploit for votes at the expense of the country as a whole. This last budget clearly speaks to the fact that they will throw money at perceived problems and friction points that have come up in the press in order to curry favour with those groups rather than balance the budget or deal with national interests as a whole.

I see the failure to address the NAFTA renegotiation with an internal fallback plan a major shortcoming.

Similarly the rate of corporate tax needed an adjustment to follow the US reductions to keep Canadian companies competitive in North America.

The reduction in infrastructure spending is problematic.

The failure to follow a structured plan to balance the budget is problematic.

The idea of growing the middle class by creating pay equity and increasing the number of women in the workplace is, with respect, a red herring. First you need to create jobs otherwise all that you are doing is restructuring pay scales within public unions or artificially raising minimum wages which essentially lead to more taxes and inflation.

I've come to the realization that unless you are a special interest group with a loud voice then the Liberals won't hear you.

:2c:

Altair said:
It's not a sum zero game.

The military is a perfect example of this. 13K ruck march,  if someone is lagging behind and I help them keep up,  I am not being left behind or at the side of the road. Its not like they will finish and I will not.  We both make it.

That depends.  If by “help” you mean words of encouragement then sure.  If you have to carry their rifle or ruck for them then we have a problem.  That is the minimum standard everyone should pass.  If they can’t do it they are bringing the team down.  Carrying there kit and dragging them across the finish line helps nobody. How many people are you going to accept in your platoon that need help carrying their own kit?  See the problem?  Nobody “makes it” in that scenario.  What’s next?  Shooting a few rounds into their target for them during the PWT because they suck a little at that too? 

jollyjacktar said:
Funny, you mentioning the military.  No real news of that in the budget from what l saw.

As for zero sums or ootherise.  This particular PM doesn't multi task well.  He focuses more or less in one direction to the detriment of other things.
Yup,  military got the shaft.  Again.

I noted 3 initiatives that would help women gain equal footing with men,  and help the economy in turn.

These initiatives sound reasonable,  do they not?

Altair said:
Yup,  military got the shaft.  Again.

I noted 3 initiatives that would help women gain equal footing with men,  and help the economy in turn.

These initiatives sound reasonable,  do they not?

They're already equal in the military.

Just because they say something doesn't mean it will pan out.  The budget won't be balancing itself.  My grandkids will still be paying for these Trudeau years.  Not a good thing.  And l don't have any grandkids yet.

He promises the moon and the sun and rarely delivers.  Phoenix is a boondoggle.  The Cons built it, yes, but despite being advised not to, the Liberals switched it on and so far have ruined many lives, credit scores and burned upwards of a billion dollars...

jollyjacktar said:
They're already equal in the military.

Just because they say something doesn't mean it will pan out.  The budget won't be balancing itself.  My grandkids will still be paying for these Trudeau years.  Not a good thing.  And l don't have any grandkids yet.

He promises the moon and the sun and rarely delivers.  Phoenix is a boondoggle.  The Cons built it, yes, but despite being advised not to, the Liberals switched it on and so far have ruined many lives, credit scores and burned upwards of a billion dollars...
Naturally,  not everything they plan will work out,  and yes,  the  budget isn't perfect.

That said,  you did make a point about the gender part of the budget and on that point,  I was simply trying to say striving for gender equality and helping to bring women up to the level of men is a worthy goal.  whether they reach it or not is up in the air,  but the fact that they are trying is something that a lot of people,  a lot of women will take notice of. And helping women does not equal keeping men down,  the same way that helping someone who has fallen doesn't mean taking their place. Its trying to make sure everyone is successful based on their merit,  not their gender.

I wouldn't be mocking it quite as nonchalantly as you seem to be doing,  its good policy,  good economically and good for all Canadians.  Conservative,  liberal,  NDP,  Bloc,  ex Bloc,  the one green lady party,  there is no reason why all parties cannot agree that there is work to be done on this front and all parties,  nomatter who is in power shouldn't be striving for this.

I'm not mocking it at all, it is a worthy goal.  What l am mocking is your contention he won't let other things slide.  I'm not the only one either.  He's too busy kissing up to a few select groups, eyeing the next election.  That didn't work out too well for him in India, now did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back