• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
badapple said:
But what happens when marijuana is legalized?? Will the CF re-evaluate the policy when it's proven that alcohol is worse than marijuana??
when you post facts, please also provide PROOF.

also, the CF will not likely change policy, because, although it is also against the law, Marijuana  slows reaction time, co-ordination, and effects your judgment, thus  proving very dangerous when in a situation where those traits are needed.

If there's any lesson to be learned here, it's this - cliche or not:

DON'T DO DRUGS.

For all the young guys out there: is it really worth the cost? Stay away from it - it will have consequences. Bograt is absolutely right - if you take hallucinogenic drugs, you'll never fly in the CF.

I've seen countless drug cases at my unit - they all end bad. We expect our personnel to follow the drug policy - they make it crystal clear in the interview, so everyone is warned. When you join the CF, you are held to a higher ethical and legal standard than the rest of society, and so drug use - which may not affect you in a civilian job (but often does) WILL have employment ramifications here.

So anyone on this board who may think doing drugs while in the CF may not be or should not be a big deal - badapple, you especially - listen up. The CF is unlikely to EVER allow marijuana use, even if Canada allows it in general. The reason is simple - we carry weapons, use explosives, and drive heavy equipment, all of which do not mix well with pot. Yes, alcohol may be just as bad, but just try showing up to parade drunk someday and see what happens....

A person who does any kind of drugs is KNOWINGLY breaking the law, and so recruiters will be VERY careful when assessing someone with a history of drug use. When a candidate is open and honest about it, then they show character and integrity - and that will often help their case. Everyone makes mistakes, but mistakes still have consequences....

But if, after you join the Forces, you do drugs KNOWING the policy, then you are demonstrating a serious lack of judgment and character flaw. In my mind, if you don't care enough for the laws of this country and the discipline of this organization to follow this very simple rule, then you have no place here. I'm not inclined to allow you to put the lives of my troops at risk because of your stupidity.

Basically, if you join the CF, you give a lot of things up (the ability to live in one place, the right to run for political office, restrictions on free speech and expression, the whole "unlimited liability" thing....). Drugs are definitely one of those things. If you're not mature enough to recognize this fact and the reason for it, you have no business being in the CF. Period.

Boy has this horse been flogged to death.

Bottom line - you do drugs, you risk not being able to get into the CF. Don't like it? Don't do drugs.

Thread locked.

I used to be a drug addict when i was a kid and I've done alot of drugs in my lifetime and I was just wondering how that would affect me when it comes to signing up, I don't mind a little discrimination but I wouldn't want to be completely denied because of this.

I've been clean for three years this December so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the regulations regarding this.

Check the FAQ.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103982.html#msg103982

I read the FAQ but need some clarification.

I last smoked marijuana in early December, the 12th I believe. I plan on going in and getting my forms to fill out when I get back to school, which will be around the 4th or 5th of January. Now from what I heard in the drug test FAQ, the test will determine use or not up to a month after the fact, so asuming my medical doesnt get rushed (even if it was I could reschedule) I should be fine for testing negative.

So what im concerned about is the honesty policy about drug use in the interview. I have no problem being honest about my use, im just concerned about how much this will affect my application. Will they tell me to come back in a couple months when ive proven I can stay clean, or do they trust you until you mess up and then your out?

dont quote me on this but I think you have to be clean for a minimum of 6 months before they'll process your app

Best policy is always honesty, worst case scenario, they tell you to come back later. You lie, that proves you're untrustworthy, and as such, not the sort of individual any of us wants in the forces.

The_Stu said:
I read the FAQ but need some clarification.

Read 'em again, all your answers are there. For sake of clarity, "Don't lie & THC from marijuana can stay in your fat cells for up to six months". We're not going through all this again.

Alot of people try or use "pot" all they care about is that you dont use anymore and have decided to stop for legitament reasons. Best thing to do is to tell the truth..thats what they're looking for..

hahahaha I'm sorry all I didnt realize how old this topic was... ::)

6 months for pot ..
3 years for hallucinigines (pardon my spelling)

3 years before i decided to sign up, I took a trip to amsterdam with some buddies. When i filled out list of items i had taken the time frame was all in a week, the recruiter knew just by looking at the list where i had been in that one week. Kinda funny well maybe just to me

The question has been answered, here and, in many other threads. No need to continue it.

Good evening all,

On Thursday, January 6th, I wrote my aptitude test to begin the process to become an officer in the reserve. After the test, I filled out the drug questionaire to the best of my memory--but the thing is, even thought i hadn't done anything for at least 2 years, the "last time" isn't as memorable as the first time...so I wrote dates that I thought were close to when I must have smoked the last time, etc.

During my interview, the Captain asked me when the last time I smoked marijuana was, and in a brief mental slip, I said I wasn't sure, but about 3 to 4 years ago...when I had written 2 years ago on my form. He picked up on this at once, and grilled me for a while, implying that I was trying to trick him.

Finally, he had me read a piece of paper stating that members of the forces have to be free of mind altering substances, and then told me I could re-apply in 9 months.

For the record, I told him I did shrooms once, in 2002. This didn't seem to be a problem, and after asking if i had ever had a flashback, he glossed over this.

My point is: to those of you applying, keep your facts straight! I was lucky in that it's only a 9 month delay, but I've heard of worse! Don't lie, just be consistent during your interview.

Now, I hope I can remember what dates i put, specifically, when my next interview comes around...!

Hi, I really don't know which section this thread should go i'm very new to this and to this point I don't know if I have posted it in the right forum but I was wondering during the the CF recruiting process do the medical staff or any at all look into your past hospital entries? Since I have had surgury a while back but I don't know if it wilil affect my process of enrollent or for this point if the CF place a great Importance in searching for this information over your past Background History which (CSIS) performs. I have been dreaming about this for years and it has up this point been firm that I want to choose this a career because this has been something I have wanted to do for a while now and seriously I hate being mocked about by people around me that do not understand about the importance I have placed this in my life. Please if any1 can help about this issue please do speak up.. It has been on my mind ... I really don't know if they do look into your hospital records with or without your consent. THANKS GUYS!   :cdn:

I'm not sure if they do a medical check on you, it's been a while since I was in a recruiting centre, but in any case, if they ask you, you have to tell them the truth. You'll fill out a medical questionnaire asking you if you have ever had any number of afflictions from jaundice to concussions and everything in between. If you've had a knee reconstructed and it gets destroyed during basic, you may not get jack from the military since it was a pre-existing injury, however, if you don't tell them about it then you can bet your arse they won't give you a thing and could possibly charge you for lying on your application.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Cincinnatus said:
Good evening all,

On Thursday, January 6th, I wrote my aptitude test to begin the process to become an officer in the reserve. After the test, I filled out the drug questionaire to the best of my memory--but the thing is, even thought i hadn't done anything for at least 2 years, the "last time" isn't as memorable as the first time...so I wrote dates that I thought were close to when I must have smoked the last time, etc.

During my interview, the Captain asked me when the last time I smoked marijuana was, and in a brief mental slip, I said I wasn't sure, but about 3 to 4 years ago...when I had written 2 years ago on my form. He picked up on this at once, and grilled me for a while, implying that I was trying to trick him.

Finally, he had me read a piece of paper stating that members of the forces have to be free of mind altering substances, and then told me I could re-apply in 9 months.

For the record, I told him I did shrooms once, in 2002. This didn't seem to be a problem, and after asking if i had ever had a flashback, he glossed over this.

My point is: to those of you applying, keep your facts straight! I was lucky in that it's only a 9 month delay, but I've heard of worse! Don't lie, just be consistent during your interview.

Now, I hope I can remember what dates i put, specifically, when my next interview comes around...!

Excellent advice.   Make sure that your are confident in the dates of when you used a substance.   I always like to ask an applicant several times if they are comfortable with the dates of use that they have indicated and will even have them initial the form to indicate so.   If you are not sure of what you reported on the drug sheet the last time you were in then ask to see it.   What is important is that you did not engage in drug use during the waiting period and if you did that you report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back