• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec Election

I agree with his post, and his interpretation of yours. I also think we all have political biases. Hence the plural form.

I think some of us recognize we have that bias; some of us don't. I think both you and QV are opposite number examples of political biases.
That appears to confirm that you were at least in large part referencing my reply. That’s fine, I just want to make sure we’re on the same page.

I actually hold all separatists in equal contempt, Quebec, Alberta, whichever. They’re all adherents to profoundly foolish political and economic notions that they could viably go it alone in today’s world outside of Canadian confederation. I’m gonna quote lenaitch for a second here because he’s usefully added some nuance:

I won't do the research but I'll betcha that 'sovereignist' and 'separatist' are terms using heavily, and probably interchangeably, but the respective proponents. In Quebec, sovereignty has been a favoured term dating back to the heady days of 'sovereignty association' (out but still in). There has also been a sense that they want to be on their own. In Alberta, 'sovereignty' is indeed used but I get the sense that the sentiment is they want to be not part of Canada. There is a difference. They have made a weak attempt at cultural differences but it doesn't have the same weight as similar Quebec claims.

Over the years, I'm not sure there has been any evidence or allegation of Quebec courting US support. They realize that they would be subsumed faster and deeper being part of the US than part of Canada. They truly believe, rightly or wrongly, that they can go it alone as a French-speaking bastion/oasis in North America.

With Alberta, there is much talk, officially or otherwise, about joining the US, and lots of allegations about contacts and collusion with US officials, so the 'separation' part is only from Canada. That faction sees advantage to being part of the US.

At the end of it all, neither side owns any of the words.

I actually use ‘sovereignty’ and ‘separation’ deliberately. There’s much but far from total overlap.

Quebec has decades of head start in politically maturing a sovereignty movement. They’ve created both provincial (separatist) and federal (sovereigntist) parties that duly elect members to sometimes form the provincial government in Quebec, and to provide a legislatively meaningful bloc (sorry, it’s just the right word for it) in the federal Parliament. They’ve created both have secured, over and over, a democratic mandate from their body politic for those views to be part of crafting law and policy.

Among the larger Quebec sovereignty movement, there is a smaller separatist movement. They’re silly, and they screwed the province economically with their referenda. Capital flight was immense. But, outside of the separatists, Quebec sovereigntists have achieved a fair bit of democratically legitimate political power, and have achieved certain policy levers for the province in doing so. Do I agree with them all? No. But in a federalist society like ours is it legitimate? Yes.

Alberta does not have this. There’s no coherent and minimal rational leadership within the Alberta sovereignty movement, and what there is seems to be nearly entirely outright separatist. I don’t believe Alberta can claim to have a meaningful sovereignty movement outside of and distinct from the various fractured and factionalized separatist groups and individuals. There has been no coalescing of popular support around a group who could build a party at either level to compete electorally. There has periodically been talk of a pro-Alberta or pro-Prairies political party that doesn’t contest seats elsewhere and would function like Bloc Québécois, but nothing has come close to getting off the ground. There has been no provincial party of any significance that has adopted an official separatist policy, and the UCP, while they certainly have some sovereigntist views, have been unable to extricate this explicit and official standpoint from the implicit and arguably insurgent separatist presence within the party. The UCP has failed to really define both what it is and what it is not.

Given another decade, Alberta could certainly grow a more mature political discourse around both sovereignty and separatism, and actually have coherent and identifiable groups achieve a democratic mandate to achieve either just the former, or both. Those coherent grounds would be political parties with all the mechanics and democratic legitimacy thereof. But the province is not remotely there politically, and the various figures jostling to be front and center in the separatist movement are, well… I don’t think they’re who a province would put their faith in at a general election.

And so, when I start a post referring to Quebec sovereigntists and Alberta separatists, it’s in recognition of those realities. It’s a nuance born of precision, not a slip born of bias. When I later refer to both provinces’ groups of separatists using that specific term, that’s also deliberate.

I trust that clarity helps.
 
Also a semi related news article


From that article:

"He said he has had several meetings with foreign representatives so far and is even planning a tour of the United States in early 2026.
People (in the United States) have questions about how things are evolving,” he explained at a press conference at the Château Frontenac.
The choice of location was not insignificant. To discuss Quebec’s place in the world, he said he chose this hotel because it was where the Quebec Conferences between Prime Minister Winston Churchill and President Roosevelt took place in 1943 and 1944.
St-Pierre Plamondon declined to disclose the content of the diplomatic exchanges or the identities of the representatives he met with.
However, he did say that he meets with members of the diplomatic corps at his office almost every week."




Where is the outrage?
 
That appears to confirm that you were at least in large part referencing my reply. That’s fine, I just want to make sure we’re on the same page.

I actually hold all separatists in equal contempt, Quebec, Alberta, whichever. They’re all adherents to profoundly foolish political and economic notions that they could viably go it alone in today’s world outside of Canadian confederation. I’m gonna quote lenaitch for a second here because he’s usefully added some nuance:

Thumbs Ok GIF


I actually use ‘sovereignty’ and ‘separation’ deliberately. There’s much but far from total overlap.

Quebec has decades of head start in politically maturing a sovereignty movement. They’ve created both provincial (separatist) and federal (sovereigntist) parties that duly elect members to sometimes form the provincial government in Quebec, and to provide a legislatively meaningful bloc (sorry, it’s just the right word for it) in the federal Parliament. They’ve created both have secured, over and over, a democratic mandate from their body politic for those views to be part of crafting law and policy.

Among the larger Quebec sovereignty movement, there is a smaller separatist movement. They’re silly, and they screwed the province economically with their referenda. Capital flight was immense. But, outside of the separatists, Quebec sovereigntists have achieved a fair bit of democratically legitimate political power, and have achieved certain policy levers for the province in doing so. Do I agree with them all? No. But in a federalist society like ours is it legitimate? Yes.

Alberta does not have this. There’s no coherent and minimal rational leadership within the Alberta sovereignty movement, and what there is seems to be nearly entirely outright separatist. I don’t believe Alberta can claim to have a meaningful sovereignty movement outside of and distinct from the various fractured and factionalized separatist groups and individuals. There has been no coalescing of popular support around a group who could build a party at either level to compete electorally. There has periodically been talk of a pro-Alberta or pro-Prairies political party that doesn’t contest seats elsewhere and would function like Bloc Québécois, but nothing has come close to getting off the ground. There has been no provincial party of any significance that has adopted an official separatist policy, and the UCP, while they certainly have some sovereigntist views, have been unable to extricate this explicit and official standpoint from the implicit and arguably insurgent separatist presence within the party. The UCP has failed to really define both what it is and what it is not.

Given another decade, Alberta could certainly grow a more mature political discourse around both sovereignty and separatism, and actually have coherent and identifiable groups achieve a democratic mandate to achieve either just the former, or both. Those coherent grounds would be political parties with all the mechanics and democratic legitimacy thereof. But the province is not remotely there politically, and the various figures jostling to be front and center in the separatist movement are, well… I don’t think they’re who a province would put their faith in at a general election.

And so, when I start a post referring to Quebec sovereigntists and Alberta separatists, it’s in recognition of those realities. It’s a nuance born of precision, not a slip born of bias. When I later refer to both provinces’ groups of separatists using that specific term, that’s also deliberate.

I trust that clarity helps.

TLDR;

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
 
From that article:

"He said he has had several meetings with foreign representatives so far and is even planning a tour of the United States in early 2026.
People (in the United States) have questions about how things are evolving,” he explained at a press conference at the Château Frontenac.
The choice of location was not insignificant. To discuss Quebec’s place in the world, he said he chose this hotel because it was where the Quebec Conferences between Prime Minister Winston Churchill and President Roosevelt took place in 1943 and 1944.
St-Pierre Plamondon declined to disclose the content of the diplomatic exchanges or the identities of the representatives he met with.
However, he did say that he meets with members of the diplomatic corps at his office almost every week."


Where is the outrage?

My honest answer ?

It doesn't fit the narrative that Conservatives and especially Alberta Conservatives are bad.
 
If just that was too long for you to read, it’s gonna be tough to be informed and engaged worth a damn on this one, but you do you. I posted more for others who are or will be in the discussion and may want to go more in depth, and who might also have wondered about the distinction.
 
If just that was too long for you to read, it’s gonna be tough to be informed and engaged worth a damn on this one, but you do you. I posted more for others who are or will be in the discussion and may want to go more in depth, and who might also have wondered about the distinction.

Sounds good my guy :)
 
My honest answer ?

It doesn't fit the narrative that Conservatives and especially Alberta Conservatives are bad.

Agree. Meanwhile, I'm just going to take a seat and and watch from the sidelines as internet scholars wax and wane with nuance born of precision on why one movement is solemnly entertained while the other is viciously opposed and mocked. :LOL:
 
Agree. Meanwhile, I'm just going to take a seat and and watch from the sidelines as internet scholars wax and wane with nuance born of precision on why one movement is solemnly entertained while the other is viciously opposed and mocked. :LOL:

Not a bad call. I will see myself out as well :)
 
I don’t believe Alberta can claim to have a meaningful sovereignty movement outside of and distinct from the various fractured and factionalized separatist groups and individuals.
I think there's a large chunk of alberta separatists who don't want sovereignty, they want to kneel for daddy trump.
 
I think there's a large chunk of alberta separatists who don't want sovereignty, they want to kneel for daddy trump.
There’s certainly some, but I don’t think it’s useful or productive to go there. Particularly not in the Quebec thread.
 
There’s certainly some, but I don’t think it’s useful or productive to go there. Particularly not in the Quebec thread.
I bring it up to compare the two movements. Quebec separatists want their own country, the same isn't true of a large number of Alberta separatists.
 
I think there's a large chunk of alberta separatists who don't want sovereignty, they want to kneel for daddy trump.
Not an Albertan, but maybe consider the people you accuse of wanting to suck up to Trump are actually the people fed up with how they have been treated for decades? Naaah, that can't be it.

BTW, your comment is really not going to win over anyone from Alberta. I have many friends who live in Alberta (military and Cattle related), and good many of them, are feeling pressed to vote for something they really don't want, but don't see an alternative going forward.
 
but maybe consider the people you accuse of wanting to suck up to Trump are actually the people fed up with how they have been treated for decades?
so fed up with how they've been treated that they want to be treated worse.

BTW, your comment is really not going to win over anyone from Alberta. I have many friends who live in Alberta (military and Cattle related), and good many of them, are feeling pressed to vote for something they really don't want, but don't see an alternative going forward.
I've lived in Alberta all my life (rapidly approaching 50 years now) trust me when i say I don't care about winning anyone over from Alberta.
 
I've lived in Alberta all my life (rapidly approaching 50 years now) trust me when i say I don't care about winning anyone over from Alberta.
Doesn't change the fact that many who want out, aren't looking to suck up to Trump.
 
Mode, could we split the pure Alberta stuff to the Alberta thread?
 
Back
Top