• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec Election

The biggest lesson I take from this is proportional representation is becoming a national security issue. Say what you will about CAQ, they arent seppies. They received 13% of the vote but kept no seats and thus, the remain parties are not able to form a government despite well over half the vote going their way. This is the shit that leads to further polarization. MMPR or STV would have led to a far more representative Assemblé Nationale and now we have to deal with PQ nonsense and obstructionism for a half decade.
I concur completely . FPTP is a millstone around the neck of our democracy
 
Quebec sovereigntists and Alberta separatists. I see a massive double standard.

You minimize different democratic mechanisms like the citizen petition which gathered about 700,000 signatures. You use loaded language like "infiltrated" and "lack of candour" to frame this as sinister when in reality coalition building or internal party pressures are normal in big-tent political parties. You have double standards on leadership where you ignore that Quebec also has fractured factions and internal tensions. You complete your biased take by overlooking these two regions have very different reasons for their movements (cultural vs economic), grading Alberta against Quebec is just lazy.

Dismissive opinions like yours are why this country is fractured.
Well articulated.

As a political junkie who grew up in Quebec and spent a lot of time living in Alberta, some of that resonates with me.

I have much to ponder
 
Like most Canadian elections, it feels like it is not so much that one party wins as much as another party is rejected wholesale. The electorate often seems to vote against rather than for....
Very much it seems this is the case for Quebec, the Conservatives did well, now have full party status, the ruling party is shattered and exiled for their sins. A very typical Canadian election. I suspect the campaigning strategy of the ruling party was tone deaf to the realities facing them.

As for the Albertan issue, the separatists are being played by people with their own agenda, which would not benefit a separate Alberta in the long run. The fact that they can drum up so much support also shows how tone deaf Ottawa has been for decades to Albertan issues and that is coming home to roost. I see Danielle Smith, just playing the same cards as Quebec in the hopes letting the Separatist movement fail, while not being the one to put the knife in, all while using the movement to twist Ottawa arm to get more concessions for Alberta.
 
I concur completely . FPTP is a millstone around the neck of our democracy
Would far prefer to schedule a runoff between the top two vote getters in each riding that didn't receive a majority victory. There is no way that I would want my riding to be represented by the party that I detest and didn't vote for simply because they got 13% of the vote. Although it would cost more, the runoff scenario is quite common globally and ensures that 30% doesn't produce a governing party
 
Would far prefer to schedule a runoff between the top two vote getters in each riding that didn't receive a majority victory. There is no way that I would want my riding to be represented by the party that I detest and didn't vote for simply because they got 13% of the vote. Although it would cost more, the runoff scenario is quite common globally and ensures that 30% doesn't produce a governing party
Ranked voting ballots can eliminate the need for a separate run-off election saving time and money and essentially giving the same result.
 
Ranked voting ballots can eliminate the need for a separate run-off election saving time and money and essentially giving the same result.
really? Everybody's second choice suddenly becomes very critical and there may not be a viable candidate that meets a voter's wishes. With 3 parties involved, unless party 1 obtains a clear majority on the first round, and a majority is over 50% if parties 2 & 3 both lean in the same direction so as to garner those second round votes, party 1 will never elect a single member even though they could obtain 45% of the votes in all 366 ridings and, depending upon the distribution you could easily end up with party 3, as everybody's second choice with a majority government. Unless I read the description wrong.
 
I am ok with FPTP. It has its ups and downs. It benefits everyone kind of equally.

2021 election, The Trudeau Liberals were 32.62% of the popular vote and the Conservatives were 33.74% of said popular vote, so other systems may have favoured my choice of party. But what other shit shows and bun fights would incur with other voting systems?
 
Back
Top