• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

Everything turned out good now just have to wait.

Thanks.

Another question though, what EXACTLY does a reservist do on a typical Wednesday evening in 3 hours? And what sorts of things would they do on the one weekend per month?

Your entry plan is up to you. You have the choice of path, Officer or NCM.

If you are successful in your university studies, you can follow the Officer path. Direct Entry (DEO or RESO, I think they changed the acronym) is your Officer path.

I like DAA's points, but I remember filling out all my own paperwork...unless I had questions, and even then sometimes...

I can't tell you EXACTLY what you'll do on a trg night. It depends on what's on the training calendar for the training year. It will vary: theory classes, vehicle prep for an exercise, setup for other events, vehicle maintenance, parade practice...

Weekends will also depend on the intent of the exercise. It could be a mounted or dismounted exercise (with or without vehicles); a stables weekend where all types of kit are cleaned, repaired, setup and torn down; an Individual Battle Test Standard (IBTS) weekend, where you could be attending a mix of classes on a variety of topics and/or doing some hands-on stuff, taking part in a live-fire range, etc.

All this you will learn in due time. Focus on getting the paperwork in, and getting through your Basic Military Qualifications (BMQ) course.

Oh, and actually go down to the SALH armoury, and talk to the recruiter and some of the guys if you can. That'll give you a much clearer idea.

blackberet17 said:
Your entry plan is up to you. You have the choice of path, Officer or NCM.

If you are successful in your university studies, you can follow the Officer path. Direct Entry (DEO or RESO, I think they changed the acronym) is your Officer path.

I like DAA's points, but I remember filling out all my own paperwork...unless I had questions, and even then sometimes...

I can't tell you EXACTLY what you'll do on a trg night. It depends on what's on the training calendar for the training year. It will vary: theory classes, vehicle prep for an exercise, setup for other events, vehicle maintenance, parade practice...

Weekends will also depend on the intent of the exercise. It could be a mounted or dismounted exercise (with or without vehicles); a stables weekend where all types of kit are cleaned, repaired, setup and torn down; an Individual Battle Test Standard (IBTS) weekend, where you could be attending a mix of classes on a variety of topics and/or doing some hands-on stuff, taking part in a live-fire range, etc.

All this you will learn in due time. Focus on getting the paperwork in, and getting through your Basic Military Qualifications (BMQ) course.

Oh, and actually go down to the SALH armoury, and talk to the recruiter and some of the guys if you can. That'll give you a much clearer idea.

I was actually 50/50 between joining the SALH or the Loyal Eddies, I decided to go with Infantry because an individual in my class happens to be Infantry while another is a Reserve MP.

It would probably be best if I went to the armoury, but when I talked to the Sgt over the phone he gave me most of the answers I was looking for at the time.

Thanks for the reply

Boschmaniac said:
I was actually 50/50 between joining the SALH or the Loyal Eddies, I decided to go with Infantry because an individual in my class happens to be Infantry while another is a Reserve MP.

It would probably be best if I went to the armoury, but when I talked to the Sgt over the phone he gave me most of the answers I was looking for at the time.

Thanks for the reply

You should go to the armoury still and go on a parade night and you will be able to see some of the things they do there. The recruiter should be willing to show you around.

Teager said:
You should go to the armoury still and go on a parade night and you will be able to see some of the things they do there. The recruiter should be willing to show you around.

Excellent advice.  You will have to go to the Armoury sooner or later anyway.  You will have to go for an interview, and be accepted by whatever unit you are trying to join.  They will then give you a letter accepting you, which you will take to the CFRC to start processing your paperwork.  The CFRC will not process anything on people who want to join the Reserves until such time that a Reserve unit accepts them.

Hi,
i start my bmq in 9 day and i would like to know if there is a place in st-jean ... like at canex or somewhere else on base where they sell cigarette .. I know i won't be able to smoke much but in case I don't have any left during my first 5 weeks ??

ps: i know smoking ain't good for my health
pss: sorry for any misspelling i may have made.. it ain't my first language

shawn l said:
Hi,
i start my bmq in 9 day and i would like to know if there is a place in st-jean ... like at canex or somewhere else on base where they sell cigarette .. I know i won't be able to smoke much but in case I don't have any left during my first 5 weeks ??

ps: i know smoking ain't good for my health
pss: sorry for any misspelling i may have made.. it ain't my first language

I remember watchin basic up and they sold cigerettes there but that was also in 2006 lol.

Plan to bring enough cigarettes for your first 5 weeks, since you cannot go to canex during that period unless you have permission from your staff.
Usually what happens if you run out of stuff is you put in a request to go to Canex through your course senior. They will bring it to your platoon staff's attention. *IF* they decide to allow a visit to Canex, only the people who are missing acceptable items will be allowed to go (names will be submitted to course staff prior to going). Cigarettes are not usually an acceptable reason for going to canex during Indoc. You can give your money to someone on your platoon who is going for laundry soap and ask them to get your smokes. That is usually ok.
Another option is to make friends with people on other platoons who are a few weeks ahead of you. They may have permission to go to canex in the evenings whenever they want. They can then drop the smokes off to you on your floor.
Your best bet is to bring enough cigarettes to last you the whole 5 weeks. Or quit smoking. Running up and down 8 flights of stairs every time you want a smoke on the weekends can get pretty tedious. Most of the non-smokers on my platoon didn't look too kindly on the smokers who took half an hour to go for one smoke.

good to know i didn't taught about the stairs ... i think it will be a good way to stop .. i never taught that 8 or 10 set of stair would help me stop smoking but i think it will.

thanks a lot for all they info

How about you use the time to quit smoking. Consider the time away from your usual triggers and the structured environment as an opportunity to improve your health.

On the CF site it says (Below) but some people say 17 with parental consent. Some others says 16 for ROTP. So I am wondering if I can  really apply for Pres when I turn 16 years old, and completed grade 10? Also where do Pres recruits do their BMQ? its for the interview question that the counselor will ask. In order to apply I have to send my transcript to the force do I have to send my provincial exam score too? What are the chances of joining the reserve with a grade 10 education? Do I need both my parent's consent? my parents are divorced and don't live in the same country ;( If I got accepted, and going for my BMQ, am I going to miss a lot of school? I know I can ask all this question at the recruiting center, but they are closed now ;(

To apply to the Forces, you must:

Be a Canadian Citizen.
Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).
Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.

For the age question I believe it is now 16 again, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also where do Pres recruits do their BMQ?
Somewhere within the geographical area, it could be done at the unit amouries, a Candian Forces base/training center (depending on proximity). Quite honestly I wouldn't stress too much about this as there are multiple locations where it could be held depending on where you live and what facilities are available for you. You could ask the unit that you apply to as you need to get a letter from them prior to initiate the application process.

In order to apply I have to send my transcript to the force do I have to send my provincial exam score too?
Ask the CFRC however I suspect just the grade 10 transcripts though.

What are the chances of joining the reserve with a grade 10 education?
There is no way to know until you apply, but I know many people who got in with just grade 10, I wouldn't worry about it. Though some trades require grade 12, but these are of a more technical nature.

Do I need both my parent's consent? my parents are divorced and don't live in the same country ;(
Just one (my parents are divorced as well  >:D)

If I got accepted, and going for my BMQ, am I going to miss a lot of school?
There are full time basics run throughout the summer and part time basics run on the weekend during the school year. Either way you shouldn't miss any school, though some students find it challenging to balance their studies (i.e marks drop) as you will be gone from Friday night to Sunday Evening roughly two times a month. However if you do the school work before you go away you won't have a problem. In fact my highest marks in University were when I was doing my basic as I knew I couldn't waste any time.

Good Luck

runormal said:
For the age question I believe it is now 16 again, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also where do Pres recruits do their BMQ?
Somewhere within the geographical area, it could be done at the unit amouries, a Candian Forces base/training center (depending on proximity). Quite honestly I wouldn't stress too much about this as there are multiple locations where it could be held depending on where you live and what facilities are available for you. You could ask the unit that you apply to as you need to get a letter from them prior to initiate the application process.

In order to apply I have to send my transcript to the force do I have to send my provincial exam score too?
Ask the CFRC however I suspect just the grade 10 transcripts though.

What are the chances of joining the reserve with a grade 10 education?
There is no way to know until you apply, but I know many people who got in with just grade 10, I wouldn't worry about it. Though some trades require grade 12, but these are of a more technical nature.

Do I need both my parent's consent? my parents are divorced and don't live in the same country ;(
Just one (my parents are divorced as well  >:D)

If I got accepted, and going for my BMQ, am I going to miss a lot of school?
There are full time basics run throughout the summer and part time basics run on the weekend during the school year. Either way you shouldn't miss any school, though some students find it challenging to balance their studies (i.e marks drop) as you will be gone from Friday night to Sunday Evening roughly two times a month. However if you do the school work before you go away you won't have a problem. In fact my highest marks in University were when I was doing my basic as I knew I couldn't waste any time.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for answering my question :) I appreciate your help man

I am Canadian said:
To apply to the Forces, you must:

Be a Canadian Citizen.
Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec).

Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.

You answered your own question with regards to minimum age and education.      :)

I am Canadian said:
So I am wondering if I can  really apply for Pres when I turn 16 years old, and completed grade 10?

Age Limits to Join 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12904.750.html
31 pages.

Joining the reserves at 16 yrs old?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/104833.0

Can I join the primary reserves?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/103148.0
"I am 16 years old and am in grade 11 in Toronto."

able to join the military at the age of 16?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/16735.0

Can I join the PRes?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/113066.0
"can you still join the reserves at age 16?"

Planning on Joining the Reserves
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107994/post-1182512.html#msg1182512
"I'm at the minimum age, 16"

This question has been asked, answered and discussed many times.

As always, go by the Recruiting website.

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of applying to the Reserves in the Intelligence Operator trade.  I have been researching the training process but was looking to have some clarity regarding time commitment as I have a civy job and a family.

I understand BMQ can be done part-time, on the weekends but what training modules (specifically for Int Op) are required after BMQ? I can do full-time training if necessary however, I would like to do as much, or all, of the training part-time, if possible.

Can BMQL and trades training be done part-time or on weekends?  If so what does the part-time module look like?  If not, what is the time commitment for all aspects of the BMQL and trade training (QL5A)? 

I am trying to get a rough picture of the training process for becoming a Reserve Int Op.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Back