• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about joining the Reserves

maaroc said:
I am trying to get a rough picture of the training process for becoming a Reserve Int Op.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Many Int Ops I know work very diligently at "searching" for info. They "search" high and low, "search" everywhere they can. That's what makes them good Int Operators...

Get my drift?

Have you considered going in to the armoury and discussing training with personnel there?

maaroc said:
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of applying to the Reserves in the Intelligence Operator trade.  I have been researching the training process but was looking to have some clarity regarding time commitment as I have a civy job and a family.

I understand BMQ can be done part-time, on the weekends but what training modules (specifically for Int Op) are required after BMQ? I can do full-time training if necessary however, I would like to do as much, or all, of the training part-time, if possible.

Can BMQL and trades training be done part-time or on weekends?  If so what does the part-time module look like?  If not, what is the time commitment for all aspects of the BMQL and trade training (QL5A)? 

I am trying to get a rough picture of the training process for becoming a Reserve Int Op.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hello.
It differs year to year, and your location.
Sometimes BMQ (L) may be held on weekends, sometimes it may not..Same goes for your Trade Qualification.

Correct me if I'm wrong & don't quote me on this... but part-time BMQ (L) or Trade Qualifications, if even held at all in the present year would be done Friday night to Sunday night, over a stretch of months.

faivious said:
Hello.
It differs year to year, and your location.
Sometimes BMQ (L) may be held on weekends, sometimes it may not..Same goes for your Trade Qualification.

Correct me if I'm wrong & don't quote me on this... but part-time BMQ (L) or Trade Qualifications, if even held at all in the present year would be done Friday night to Sunday night, over a stretch of months.

Try not to confuse BMQ with BMQ(L)... BMQ is Basic Training and BMQ(L) is the old SQ (Soldier Qualification) usually completed after BMQ by those wearing a land DEU.

He was asking what the timings were regarding BMQ (L), which was what I provided.
What did you mean by don't mix it up, I didn't understand  ???

faivious said:
He was asking what the timings were regarding BMQ (L), which was what I provided.
What did you mean by don't mix it up, I didn't understand  ???

Apparently I meant not to mix it up like I just did! My bad... You are correct, maaroc was asking about BMQ(L). I am used to people thinking BMQ and BMQ(L) are one and the same...

That being said, I don't think you can do a reserve trades training (QL3 / 5) over the course of weekends anymore. Ours in Supply is offered during the summer to compensate for younger members still in school.

BMQ and BMQL can be done full or part time.

Your occupational training will be conducted full time, during the summer, in Kingston. If I remember correctly, Int Op QL3 is 9 weeks.

There is NO QL 3 Int Op course. 

As it is early in the members career, not having even started, they can wait until they are actually finished BMQ (L) and have their unit give them the info on the QL 5 INT OP course; as it is constantly being revamped.  It may be in Kingston.  It may not.

I'm applying out of Toronto to the Army Reserve (Combat Engineer) and last I heard, it's possible to do BMQ part-time, however BMQ(L) has to be full-time (2 weeks), taken at the end of BMQ. The occupational training is then different for every trade. Combat Engineers, for example, require 12 weeks or so of training in Gagetown, NB, which can only be done full-time. However, I was told it can be broken down into 2 modules and be done over 2 years. As a general rule of thumb, I believe the unit wants you to complete training as soon as possible, however they also understand your civilian commitments and let you break some of the training up between 2-3 years. As long as it doesn't drag on forever, otherwise you become a liability. It is best to speak with the local unit to get full details. Call/visit a local armoury.

Hello, okay I have a question.
Is it possible to get into the reserves, while still in high school and do both? I would like to complete high school, but I also want to do reserves. So just wondering if doing both at the same time is possible.  ???

StitchJones said:
Hello, okay I have a question.
Is it possible to get into the reserves, while still in high school and do both? I would like to complete high school, but I also want to do reserves. So just wondering if doing both at the same time is possible.  ???

Yes.

Yes you can.  If you are interested in joining the Reserves, you need to contact a Reserve Unit in your local area.

http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

I did a search on this forum but when typing in reserves, I get all kinds of posts that are no help.

I have always wanted to join the military, I figured a good start would be the reserves. Main reason being, I could not afford the rent and bills we have along with raising a family in Alberta. So for now, reserves will be the only option.

My main question is, When in the reserves to my understanding training is 1, maybe 2 nights a week along with 1 weekend a month.

How long does it take for someone in the reserves to get trained up enough to the point that if there was a conflict and the reserves had a chance to be sent out, that a guy could actually go?

Is there options to train more than 1 day a week and put in more time?

I do not want to go about this half assed. If I can put as much time in as I can along with working my normal job. Than I will. If I could afford to join full time, than I would but for now that is just not an option.

I really appreciate any input the experienced members of this forum will have

thanks

This may help,

Reserves and Deployment 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/102409.0

How Soon After Enrollement Can You Be Deployed Overseas 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/27991.0/nowap.html
"O.K. so now I'm in the propcess of being accepted into the Reserves..."

Reserve Call Outs/Employment Full Time 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/28811.0/nowap.html
4 pages.

Thanks for the links. One thing I could not find is How long does it take for a reserve memeber to get trained to the point they can volunteer to be deployed?

fishtooth said:
Thanks for the links. One thing I could not find is How long does it take for a reserve memeber to get trained to the point they can volunteer to be deployed?

Do you know what trade or unit you'd like to join? If not, contact your local recruiting centre so they can give you contact information for it. Then get a tour at the unit on their parade night and chat with the recruiter there, he/she should be able to answer these questions. Training duration depends on the trade and on the schedule. Some people get their training done quicker because they have time and the training schedule is on their side. Other people break their training down into modules (if that option is available) to help them meet their civilian job commitments as well. The point is, training can be done sooner or later, dependent on many factors. That's why it's best to talk directly with the recruiter for the unit you're interested in (or with the brigade recruiter, someone responsible for recruitment for several units in your area). Then you'll have a better idea about how you can work around your civilian job to get the training done.

:goodpost:

fishtooth said:
One thing I could not find is How long does it take for a reserve memeber to get trained to the point they can volunteer to be deployed?

Regarding your civilian job, you may wish to read this,

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2552.0

So since i was young, i have wanted to be in the army and now that im at the age of 20 and i have matured, i feel the time is now. I am wondering what are some essintals needed for joining the Canadian Reserves on what is needed.

-like for example is i will loose some weight but i dont already have a good bit of strength and workable cardio.

-Glasses, i wear them and will they discrougage the recruiter? i am near sited.

-upon joining the reserves will i need Restricted/non restricted and core first aid all completed? (also which first aid is needed)

Welcome to Army.ca.

Please read my most recent post here: http://army.ca/forums/threads/121454/post-1409545.html#msg1409545

All of your questions have been asked and answered here before. Start reading older threads and using the Search Function. Should you have any questions remaining after that, we will be happy to answer them for you.

This is now locked until after you have done so.

Back