• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Raising Girls That Pimps and Thugs will Hate

I hear ya.  I guess what I find so curious is why do a bunch of middle class kids want to emulate gangsta culture?  What in god's name is so attractive about it???

(I am sure my parents said that on more than one occasion when I came home with my hair blue or green or purple too!)

Please tell me that girls aren't attracted to those punks who are now tucking their pants into the back of their socks...when did that become cool  ???

Dad, provide your girl with a killer library covering a variety of topics. Start with the easy to read version of the Bible. Then get her everything R.C. Sproul's written on Theology. After that, line the shelves with biographies of productive world shakers. Then get a good tome that overviews the major philosophers/philosophies. In addition, stack her shelves with world history books and the history of the West. Last but not least, stock the Classics. If you provide these pithy works and encourage your girl to imbibe deeply on them, I guarantee you won't have to worry about your daughter drinking bong water with Tara Reid while clubbing on South Beach

Best article I've read in years. I'm printing this off, laminating it, and giving it to my sister.

I mean, I was reading and writing reports on Cars, King Cobras, Texas Tornadoes, Napolean, Hitler, and Hiroshima in grades 1,2, and 3. I turned out great. Education is key to not being another dumb floozy and or groupy "living in a VHAAAN down by the RIVER"!

Sig_Des said:
Please tell me that girls aren't attracted to those punks who are now tucking their pants into the back of their socks...when did that become cool  ???

I suppose it became cool in the same way that "Beatle" haircuts became cool in the early sixties - or that long hair, bell-bottoms, and tie-dyed shirts became "cool" in the late sixties and early seventies.  Or even, how the word "cool" became "cool" during the same time frame - there is no explanation for what becomes "cool" - never has been, never will be.

What DOESN'T change, however, is the power of parents to instill self-respect (through discipline (with love)) in their children - allowing those children to make a passing nod at whatever is considered "cool", and carry on their merry way without becoming immersed in what that particular "cool" fashion symbolizes. 

In my own case in the '60s and '70s (as you might have guessed), I wore my tie-dyed t-shirts, "Che Guevara" hat, spouted my left-wing, bleeding heart dogma - but I never got deeply involved in the drug culture prevalent at the time.  In my son's case(s) - they never got involved in the "Brand Name" fashion craze prevalent in THEIR time (or the drug culture either - for that matter) - they had enough self confidence to see it for the shallow "fad" that it was (and is).

FWIW

Roy

The Kid, thank goodness, wasn't a fad-follower. In fact he went out of his way to be anti-fad. The kids were wearing baseball caps-he refused to wear one, everyone was cutting their hair-he let his grow. It made him a wierdo in his high school, but he had a buddy just like him so it was okay.

He loves to read, and still reads everything he can get his hands on-classics and history, mostly.

Once he asked me what hippies were like. In that era I was in the Navy-I had no idea, exsept a vague description!

:cdn:
Hawk

Hah. Slight drift, but you guys will appreciate it. One afternoon, I'd been in at my drill hall (Cartier Square, Ottawa) working during the day, and was on my way home. Walking up the Mackenzie-King bridge, 50m shy of NDHQ, some skinny, strutting 'gangsta' kid was waking wnety meters ahead of me, going the same way- hat canted off in some weird angle, massive shirt too big for Chewbacca (and this kid was somewhat tall, very skinny), and colossal pants.

Suddenly, as if of their own free will, WHAM! His pants and boxers just drop and almost trip him up around his ankles. He freezes in shock as a gaggle of officers waiting for a bus outside NDHQ looked on with growing laughter, then he squatted down, yanked up the pants, and bolted into the mall to get away. I almost fell over laughing.

Gotta wonder how some of thsese fashions come about...

Brihard said:
Gotta wonder how some of thsese fashions come about...

Police in Los Angeles started the baggy pant thing.  Pretty hard to be in a foot pursuit with your pants around your knees. 

I don't have any kids, heck, I'm only 18. But, I do work at my town's movie theatre, and with our town growing so rapidly over the past years, we now have a generous population of gangsta-wannabes. And, working at the movie theatre, I happen to run into just about every single one of them. One day, while standing at the doorstand (the little stand where we rip your tickets) I noticed a group of about 10 people, all probably like 15, waiting to sneak in (all the movies had started, and that's the point where I usually wander off to clean stuff and do misc jobs around the building) so I decided to wait so I could bust them and kick them out (funnest part of the job by far). So, the kids come over and sit down at the tables that are just by the doorstand. After a little while, I guess the 'leader' of the group (with baggy pants, sideways hat, etc) offers me $5 to let them all in. I said $5 from each of them, so one kid decides to offer me $4. Feeling that they needed a significantly improved edcuation, I spent fifteen minutes lecturing them on how to bribe people, and on the art of negotiation (specifically, you don't make an offer, then decrease the offer). After another ten minutes, the leader tries again, this time, he says one of the girls will give me lap dance. Needless to say, I was kinda shocked as I would never treat another girl (much less a friend, as I assume they were) like that. I figured he was joking, he wasn't. So, I proceeded to give another lecture, this time as to why she needs better friends, etc etc. I doubt my lecture accomplished much, but I figured it was better than nothing.

career_radio-checker said:
You booted them out afterwards, didn't you?

Strange....he didn't say...did he?  Hmmmm....

Sadly, no. They went over to the machines and bought tickets. Manager didn't have a problem so long as they paid.

Roy Harding said:
I suppose it became cool in the same way that "Beatle" haircuts became cool in the early sixties - or that long hair, bell-bottoms, and tie-dyed shirts became "cool" in the late sixties and early seventies.  Or even, how the word "cool" became "cool" during the same time frame - there is no explanation for what becomes "cool" - never has been, never will be.

In all honesty, it's not supposed to be a cool thing to wear theses type of clothes. Originally, people wore them cuz they were poor and had to wear hand me downs that were too big. I guess they suddenly turned fashionable. I also know people like em cause they're comfy.

Miss Jacqueline said:
In all honesty, it's not supposed to be a cool thing to wear theses type of clothes. Originally, people wore them cuz they were poor and had to wear hand me downs that were too big. I guess they suddenly turned fashionable. I also know people like em cause they're comfy.

No doubt you're right.  There was a time when blue jeans were a "working man's" attire as well - how that clothing came to be co-opted and accepted as everyday wear (and "kewl" in the '60s) is beyond me.

Fashion is a mystery to me - and seeing as how I'm not all that interested in it, will probably remain so.

Roy

Miss Jacqueline said:

They are also useful to concel guns and other weapons.

OK ya I am not old enough to ahve kids or ready for that fact. I am 17. I was talking to my bf who is in the forces about what hed prefer a girl or a boy when he has kids. He said a girl just so he can be scary army dad. I totaly loved this thread. Ok now after reading this I wont be ready to have kids for a very logn time parenting is way hard lmao

naturalysam said:
OK ya I am not old enough to ahve kids or ready for that fact. I am 17. I was talking to my bf who is in the forces about what hed prefer a girl or a boy when he has kids. He said a girl just so he can be scary army dad. I totaly loved this thread. Ok now after reading this I wont be ready to have kids for a very logn time parenting is way hard lmao

Were you planning to read to your children some day?

Back