• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enrollment story

top4u20

Inactive
Reaction score
First off, what a very informative web site!
Ok here is my quick story and all comments are welcome. I was in the Reg's for a tad over six years as a Comm Rsch. I got QL5 qualified and was doing really well. I decided that it was time to move on so I put my VR in 7 months ago and was released at the end of July07. I joined the Supps Res in case I wanted to continue with RES. Anyway we spent alot of money moving to Northern Ontario, purchasing a home and to find a civi job and be happily ever after. NOT! After over 25 resume's no job calls. I went to the local reserve unit to see about full time employment but nothing on the radar screen. So, I just put my application in at the local CFRC to re-enlist with my trade choices as follows: ACOP, MET TECH, AVN. I gave the CFRC as much paper work as possible to aid them. I was surprised that they would even accept it so early but glad. I know I was due for a change of some sort but did not expect to hit such a brick wall. Anyway, that is my story and if you have any comments or suggestions let them fly. It may help someone else.

One point for those thinking of pulling the plug.  If you want to work after release try securing employment before you release.

+1 Kincanucks.

I don't know how many people I've seen come back, regretting their decision about leaving.  Some come back knowing they made a mistake others come back just as disgruntled as when they left, especially about the hoops they have to jump through despite them being the ones responsible for their situation.

Good luck to you Top4.  Hopefully things will go smoothly for you.

Thanks for the replies...by no means am I disgruntled at all. In fact Im happy just to have the chance to go back in no matter how long it takes. As the VR takes six months its very difficult to secure a civi job position in time not too mention the fact that we moved 1700km away from Unit I was working at so interviews etc were almost impossible. That is why we basically had to move first. Even though there were many many job opportunites available not one has called even after all those resumes. It does not take too long to figure out that this is not going to work out here. Glad we are figuring it out early than later. So figure might as well get the process under way as it appears to be the inevitable. Just a matter of time.

topo4u20 said:
Thanks for the replies...by no means am I disgruntled at all. In fact Im happy just to have the chance to go back in no matter how long it takes. As the VR takes six months its very difficult to secure a civi job position in time not too mention the fact that we moved 1700km away from Unit I was working at so interviews etc were almost impossible. That is why we basically had to move first...

For future reference to others considering doing same, you can apply for jobs outside your present geographical area with ease and indicate you are either willing to relocate or will be relocating to the area.  Interviews can be conducted over the phone.  When I considered civilian employment, I was interviewing across Canada & North America through phone interviews.  I interviewed for a few European jobs through video conferencing.

The civilian job market is extremely competitive.  A candidate can be looking at several resumes to get one interview and several interviews before an interview.  I sent out over 400 resumes (I kept a log) and interviewed 25 times before getting a contract.  The contract was fairly short and I decided I didn't want to go through the process again for either full time or contract positions.

I did not find any benefit in my previous service during the interview process.  When I was given the courtesy call to inform me the position had gone elsewhere, I asked what I could have done better.  Comments included "too polished," "too confident," and "slightly intimidating" -- hallmarks of the military, certainly, but when one is interviewing against 20 year olds still living at home, it's best to come off as bright eyed, eager, slightly stupid, but very willing to learn.  The contract I finally landed came about from my minimizing my military experience and talking about Star Wars with the interviewer.

Back