• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular physical fitness testing?

Reaction score
In todays canadian forces the number is close to 40% of soldiers are overweight. Ive talked to plenty of soldiers who have done tours in afghanistan and bosnia and most agree there should be regular physical fitness standards to be met for all trades. From my understanding canadian soldiers are mocked overseas when in company of french, brits, belgians, dutch etc, due to the high number of overweight and out of shape canadian soldiers. Obviously there are some trades that need to be more fit than others, but doesnt it make sense that all trades have to be equally fit and have an equal standard to be met? after all i hear all the time from truckers, tankers, cooks, supply techs etc, that there not in the infantry because its a job anyone can do. I bring this up because infantry generally are the most fit trade, not to put down any other trades, as there are many a overweight NCOs and officers in the infantry and many fit strong soldiers in the service trades.

To sum up Canadian Soldiers are becoming more of the picked on group due to our level of physical fitness, should we instill regular fitness standards?

Right on!  Testify, brother!  It's about time we had a thread on here on this very topic.  Thanks for bringing this largely ignored topic into the light.

loyaleddie87 said:
In todays canadian forces the number is close to 40% of soldiers are overweight.

Before we go on will you indicate the source where you obtained this figure from.

Chimo-Airborne-Ubique

loyaleddie87 said:
In todays canadian forces the number is close to 40% of soldiers are overweight. Ive talked to plenty of soldiers who have done tours in afghanistan and bosnia and most agree there should be regular physical fitness standards to be met for all trades.

To sum up Canadian Soldiers are becoming more of the picked on group due to our level of physical fitness, should we instill regular fitness standards?

There is, you are required to do yearly fitness testing, whether it be the BFT or express test.

old fart said:
Before we go on will you indicate the source where you obtained this figure from.

Yes, and with those numbers, the definition of overweight.

It would have to be a pretty low standard.  I know at my unit at least if they required something like all members to complete the BFT we'd probably lose half our people.  It's a sad fact but true.  It's hard to enforce a high phsyical standard in the reserves and right now the government wants to grow it even more.  There's no easy solution, what are they going to do, kick out all the out of shape guys who can't run? 

a_himself said:
It would have to be a pretty low standard.   I know at my unit at least if they required something like all members to complete the BFT we'd probably lose half our people.   It's a sad fact but true.   It's hard to enforce a high phsyical standard in the reserves and right now the government wants to grow it even more.   There's no easy solution, what are they going to do, kick out all the out of shape guys who can't run?  

you dont kick them out, you give them a certain period of time to accomplish the fitness standard. If not attained, then you do remedial training on parade nights(reserves) and more PT during the week (regs). For those just entering the CF, make it so they will need to attain that standard, and make it a BMQ,SQ and DP1 course requirement to pass the CF fitness test.

And the number of 40% i got was about a year ago on my BMQ. On one of our instructional classes in first aid we discussed giving first aid like CPR to overweight individuals, at that time the medic proceded to tell us about 40% of the CF was overweight. Really though, I personally belive it, take a step onto any miitary base and you can see alot of large set soldiers.

Well but that is going to be a huge step requiring big reform but then it moves into the whole area of uncommited people being in the reserves.  A lot of guys are going to quit before they start doing PT 5 times a week on their own time right.  But this moves into the whole approach in recruiting people into the reserves.  It's an issue that isn't going to get fixed anytime soon since they're still going for numbers rather than quality.

a_himself said:
It would have to be a pretty low standard.   I know at my unit at least if they required something like all members to complete the BFT we'd probably lose half our people.   It's a sad fact but true.   It's hard to enforce a high phsyical standard in the reserves and right now the government wants to grow it even more.   There's no easy solution, what are they going to do, kick out all the out of shape guys who can't run?  
You make your Reserve Unit sound like a Social Club.

All I said is that there are a lot of people in poor physical condition in my unit and thats the truth.   And I'd be willing to bet it's a very similar situation across the board.  There are lots of guys at my unit who come out on most exes and work hard but are in poor shape when it comes to going for a run or a long ruck march.   Saying that there is a poor level of fitness at my unit translates into a "social club" ?   I don't grasp the logic there.

The logic behind quantity over quality i think is seriously flawed. Take a look at the falklands war, the british were outnumbered 3 to 1 and still won the war while using the same equipment and weapons on eachother.

Id rather have 15 guys on a fighting patrol with me who can keep up and move without rests every 5 mins than 30 guys who have to rest every 5 mins and cant haul anything over 20 lbs on there back before they keel over of a heart attack. But with that said i do belive the main area of the military that needs work is the non combat arms types. Nothing personal by any means against any of the non combat arms, theres ALOT of exceptions. But im just tired of hearing how a soldiers occupation doesnt require them to be in top physical shape. It comes back to that whole idea of soldier before trade, i dont care if your hardcore PPCLI or a slower supply tech, if the sh*t ever hits the fan that supply tech should be able to challenge that PPCLI soldier's physical capability. Fact is were all soldiers first, and were not the american army, we proclaim internationally how well our soldiers are trained. Unless we walk the talk, we will not be a respected nation. Every trade in the military has its role, most of the time, the infantry are gonna be humping the rucks, and the trucker will be driving his truck, but if things get seriously messed up the infanteer has to know how to drive, and the trucker has to know how to fight, and ur ability to fight is seriously hampered if u cant haul a$$ with the best of them.

Kat Stevens said:
Right on!   Testify, brother!   It's about time we had a thread on here on this very topic.   Thanks for bringing this largely ignored topic into the light.

Yep.

Even though this is one of my favourite topics, are we really gonna do this again??? ::)

Haggis said:
Yep.

Even though this is one of my favourite topics, are we really gonna do this again??? ::)

Its a cycle...kinda like JTF threads, CFAT complaint, trigger-happy mod complaints........

aesop081 said:
Its a cycle...kinda like JTF threads, CFAT complaint, trigger-happy mod complaints........

OK.. let's try this:

All applicants for the CF should be fitness tested at The Hill.   Those not meeting the standard should be sequestered at the Edmonton Garrison (Valcatraz for English applicants).   There they will be given remedial PT for a period of ninety consecutive days before being re-tested while undergiong complete second-language immersions.   They will then be shipped to The Hill to do a second fitness test administered in their "new" second language.   If they pass, we send them on to St. Jean.

Those who fail will, again, be sequestered, (French applicants will go to Gagetown) for a period of no less than six months where, during thier off hours, they can work on kit and quarters and complete memorization of QR&O Volume 2.  

That should cut down on the number of new threads on:

-fitness;
-dress and deportment;
-second langauge training;
-poor standards; and
-military law.

(Geez I hope the CDS is reading this.....)

That should cut down on the number of new threads on:

-fitness;
-dress and deportment;
-second langauge training;
-poor standards; and
-military law.

We can only hope.

I'd rather see threads on those 5 topics vs:

JTF2,
Next deployment to Afghanistan rumours, and
Reg vs Res threads.

or see here and add your questions there:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36260/post-294746.html#msg294746

i dont care if you are a hardcore PPCLI...

A What? Where?

(ducks under desk and silences whimpers with a boston creme)

I hope he does'nt hurt me - being all hard and all... :crybaby:

If I was the government I would say the following to the CF.

"Until you can get the forces in shape, you will receive no new funding."

Fitness takes no money, yet we are pathetically unfit.  All it takes is leadership.

Armymedic said:
Yes, and with those numbers, the definition of overweight.

Exactly. What method is being used to determine "overweight"? By whose standards? If we're talking an extra 40-50 lbs then of course that's fairly obvious, but I doubt if 40% of our members are *obese*.

Besides, weight isn't always a good indicator of physical fitness or ability.

UberCree said:
If I was the government I would say the following to the CF.

"Until you can get the forces in shape, you will receive no new funding."

Fitness takes no money, yet we are pathetically unfit.   All it takes is leadership.

Brilliant.

Suspend current operations, freeze the aquisition of desperately needed air and sealift so that the troops who are the least responsible can be forced through PT 3 times a day.

If you wanted results, you would suspend the promotion of anyone above the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, unitil the average coopers test score of everyone under their command hit a certain level.

Combine leadership with careership, then you will see results.

GO!!! said:
If you wanted results, you would suspend the promotion of anyone above the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, unitil the average coopers test score of everyone under their command hit a certain level.

Why not?  It is a leaders job to ensure that his soldiers are ready for combat, so I guess physical fitness would be implicit on that one.  If a unit is FUBARed or has low morale and disciplanary problems, you'll see (or you should) the commander relieved if he doesn't take proactive steps to improve things - why should fitness be any different?  This way, a leader gets his guys going or cashiers them if they're lost causes.

I think you found the answer here GO!!!.

Back